Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Election bar closure confusion..

Election bar closure confusion..

Bar owners wont want to see that enforced over 2 high season weekends.

Phuket, Thailand Booze Ban Leaves Aussie Expats, Tourists Dry for Big Day
    By Alan Morison and Chutima Sidasathian

Saturday, January 25, 2014
    PHUKET: The plans of thousands of tourists on Phuket and throughout Thailand have been thrown into confusion by an election ban on bars over this weekend and next weekend.

As well as costing staff wages, the enforced closure comes with Australian tourists and expats ready to celebrate Australia Day tomorrow as only Aussies celebrate - with plenty of food and drink.

The official polling closures from 6pm tonight until midnight tomorrow night and again the following weekend are not just confused by what's happening in Bangkok but also by lack of clarity to enforcement on Phuket.

Bars in the west coast holiday destination of Kamala have been warned by senior police that they must close but bars in the neighboring nightclub hub of Patong have not been told anythting about the closure.

The frustration with non knowing is likely to be widespread. Australian tourists Tamara Kovaleff, 20, and Ben Kilsby, 23, were planning on spending the night at the Aussie Bar in Patong but now their plans are in doubt.

''We'd like to celebrate but we didn't know anything about the order to close because of the election,'' Mr Kilsby said.

Steve Wood, who runs the Aussie Bar in Patong's popular Soi Bangla, telephoned Peter Crisp at the Aussue Bar in Kamala this morning to say he knew nothing about the enforced closure.

But Mr Crisp was able to tell him that Kamala police had dropped by in person last night to formally let him know that all bars in Kamala must shut from 6pm tonight until midnight tonight for advance voting in the national election scheduled for February 2.

The same apples next weekend when most of the population vote, or as is most likely on Phuket and across the southern half of Thailand, don't vote. The election is emotion-charged and may still be cancelled or postponed, depending on developments in Bangkok.

However, in Kamala this weekend, said Mr Crisp, who has run the Aussie Bar for three years, all bars will definitely be closed.

''We will, of course, obey the law,'' he said today. ''I have no problem with that. But a bit more notice would have been nice.

''I am still getting calls from Aussies asking what's going on the for the Australia Day celebrations.''

Mr Crisp said he bought 5000 baht's worth of food and it will now have to go on ice. The closure next weekend as well will affect revenue and staff wages.

However, being an inventive Aussie, he has rescheduled the Australia Day celebrations in Kamal at least for January 29. ''Turn the 9 upside down and nobody will notice the difference,'' he said.

Kamalala ahead of the mob - as usual 555!
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Confusion in Patts. Some bars were saying definitely closed, others hadn't even heard about it....
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Update on PhuketWan story.

A SENIOR police officer in Patong said this afternoon that letters reminding bars and venues of the ban on alcohol sales from 6pm tonight were ''on their way out now''.

As far as I know bars open BKK, just heading up my local bar Jools on Suk Soi 4

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    As far as I know bars open BKK, just heading up my local bar Jools on Suk Soi 4
    I heard police made rounds on Cowboy last night telling them no alcohol tonight. Keep us posted!!! Please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    I heard police made rounds on Cowboy last night telling them no alcohol tonight. Keep us posted!!! Please!!!
    I just got a call bars being closed 6pm..............well update that wasn't true..........Nana every bar and ago was open, some places not selling spirits but beer and shooters, beer in a glass in a condom cover usual MO

Most nightclubs open e.g. Mixx, Climax, Levels, Mai Paeng to name a few

I'm taking it the assumption will be on Monday that the election will be postponed
    Last edited by Geespot; 26th January 2014 at 01:10.

After dinner and a few rounds at Riders Corner last night, I tried to stop in the local Tops market and pick up a few ciders... was refused at the register.

Went to Nemanheiman and hit a "partially closed" (steel doors down, but front door open) liquor store and was able to get some Magners. It's an odd country. One can never be sure of anything here.

But as this election is almost sure to fail.. Expect a closure now.. Maybe more failed attempts next weekend..

And then another lot next attempt..

Not what the bar owners are going to want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But as this election is almost sure to fail.. Expect a closure now.. Maybe more failed attempts next weekend..

And then another lot next attempt..

Not what the bar owners are going to want to see.
    Was a bit surreal last night the police were about but just turned a blind eye to the blatant selling of booze.............hell a police pick up parked in Raja car Park, cops went into a well know bar there and had a game of pool and a beer

I believe Secrets in Pattaya will be open.

Different rules for bars attached to hotels and restaurants and you will always be able to find something open.

Quote Originally Posted by bawdy View Post
    I believe Secrets in Pattaya will be open.

Open but no alcohol. This is the most strictly followed alcohol ban I have seen in Patts. Last night I had a really good mooch around and only saw 3 bars selling beer, albeit with lights off. Nearly all bars were just completely closed. Even bars down soi 6 had their shutters down today.
    Have been told back to normal after midnight today, but lets see...
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Quote Originally Posted by dan boy View Post
    Open but no alcohol. This is the most strictly followed alcohol ban I have seen in Patts. Last night I had a really good mooch around and only saw 3 bars selling beer, albeit with lights off. Nearly all bars were just completely closed. Even bars down soi 6 had their shutters down today.
    Have been told back to normal after midnight today, but lets see...
    Going Oskars in 5 minutes they start selling booze at 18.30................full on here in the big mango
    Robaht likes this.

Had a walk down to the 7-11 last night... seemed like everything was open in BKK, just couldnt buy it in stores (7-11, Villa Market)... even plenty of those old VW Microbus bars that just pull up on the sidewalk, make lots of noise and sell booze to people on cheap plastic seats.

Just a quick one night stop-over for me, on the way back to the middle east. Not much interested in going out on the lash, just having a steak with a buddy tonight, then heading to bed early... loooong flight in the morning.

But Mr Crisp was able to tell him that Kamala police had dropped by in person last night to formally let him know that all bars in Kamala must shut from 6pm tonight until midnight tonight for advance voting in the national election scheduled for February 2.

The same apples next weekend when most of the population vote, or as is most likely on Phuket and across the southern half of Thailand, don't vote. The election is emotion-charged and may still be cancelled or postponed, depending on developments in Bangkok.
    So will there be bar closures the upcoming weekend as well?

^ yep............

Seems like there's a lot of potential votes in doing away with these no alcohol laws during elections, hope Suthep and Yingluck are paying attention, I think Thailand is the only country that I've experienced that does this.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Seems like there's a lot of potential votes in doing away with these no alcohol laws during elections, hope Suthep and Yingluck are paying attention, I think Thailand is the only country that I've experienced that does this.
    Are they chasing the Farang vote.....oh wait 55555

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Going Oskars in 5 minutes they start selling booze at 18.30................full on here in the big mango
    Although that is not exactly the rules, I believe that it is common that the bad is relaxed after the voting polls close
    The written rules are 36 hours, but if a drinking ban has to do with the election it does not make sense to remain closed after the election is over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast