Thread: NYC vs BKK

NYC vs BKK

So Ao and I were in NYC a couple of weeks ago. I had business so she flew out halfway through and joined me.
    Her 1st visit to NYC area, i sort of did her a disservice and we stayed in NJ so she didn't get a good feel for NYC, so didn't care for it.
    This time we stayed smack dab in the middle of Manhattan, 39th and Lex

Anyways, i threw out the idea of moving back to NYC if i found the right job(easier said than done)
    She said no, NYC is "too busy"
    So anytime we got talking to Thai's over the week, waitstaff, other customers....she would ask them how they like NYC
    Almost all of them were from BKK and almost all of them gave a lukewarm answer, with all saying NYC is "too busy"

BKK is busy as hell! and probably more chaotic!! 555

i tried to get Ao to tell me how NYC was busier than BKK but she couldn't
    maybe the people are "faster"?

PS- i was truly blown away by her courage in NYC. I showed her how the street were basically a grid and numbers and she was off on her own most days. I dropped her off in Chelsea and she got her hair done and then did her own thing. I had to meet clients at a bar on 60th and Lex and she went off shopping for a couple hours.

BKK is busy with Thai folk... so is a familiar comfortable busy for her. Ao is probably comparing NYC to Vancouver. Then again... apart from the traffic in certain parts, BKK doesn't feel that busy as a pedestrian at street level. Not like other big cities... eg. London.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    BKK is busy with Thai folk... so is a familiar comfortable busy for her. Ao is probably comparing NYC to Vancouver. Then again... apart from the traffic in certain parts, BKK doesn't feel that busy as a pedestrian at street level. Not like other big cities... eg. London.
    i think London was the busiest/most chaotic city i have ever been in
    in NYC there is a lot of cars but they are all on a grid so it usually runs pretty smooth
    there is definitely more people walking around NYC than BKK

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    I would guess this.. Comfort factor being described as 'busy'.

I think people are busy in NYC whereas in comparison BKK Thai's in the main are not

Go in a delhi in NYC and be prepared to be shouted at if you dont know what your order is.............you must not dither 5555555555555. People in NYC can be quite rude and impatient and maybe that's the vibe that's being picked up

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    I think people are busy in NYC whereas in comparison BKK Thai's in the main are not

Go in a delhi in NYC and be prepared to be shouted at if you dont know what your order is.............you must not dither 5555555555555. People in NYC can be quite rude and impatient and maybe that's the vibe that's being picked up
    i think you guys are correct in saying it is the busyness of the people moreso than the actual busyness of the city

funny enough, i think people in NYC are actually nicer than most places i've been!!
    i guess it is what you used to and the delivery you are used to

ordering in delis/diners and such is not for the faint of heart
    they have their own way of doing things and the service is fantastic, just that if you are not used to that way, it could be intimidating

Ao's 1st time going to my local pizza place in Boston, i don't think she could get a handle on our gruff waitress because her manner isn't polite but her actions are.
    actually Ao loves when we are back in Boston and the waitresses call her "honey" and "sweetheart" in only that gruff manner they can 555
    Last edited by marc26; 26th January 2014 at 09:46.

interactions with people can be much more in your face in NYC....but give me a NYC boulevard/sidewalk to get around over a BKK one anyday

I don't think I have ever experienced the vibe of "my time is a valuable commodity" more anywhere else in the world than NYC...

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    interactions with people can be much more in your face in NYC....but give me a NYC boulevard/sidewalk to get around over a BKK one anyday

I don't think I have ever experienced the vibe of "my time is a valuable commodity" more anywhere else in the world than NYC...
    i guess being from there, i just have a different perspective
    and since i am in NYC going to see friends here and there and places i know like the back of my hand it seems "small" to me

no doubt it breaks down into burroughs, districts and hoods very easily and it only takes a few weeks to get into the rhythm of life and become somewhat of a local if you use the same grocery store, deli, cafes, restaurants, corner store, bodega, bars etc...in that regard it breaks down to a human level very quickly

i have had a couple of longish stints in NYC (almost a year and another 7 months) + plenty of shorter visits....I was on the upper west side for the longer stays which is less busy and more villagey than downtown + I had the park straight opposite to escape to so easily..its is a magnificent oasis in the centre of the city

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    no doubt it breaks down into burroughs, districts and hoods very easily and it only takes a few weeks to get into the rhythm of life and become somewhat of a local if you use the same grocery store, deli, cafes, restaurants, corner store, bodega, bars etc...in that regard it breaks down to a human level very quickly

i have had a couple of longish stints in NYC (almost a year and another 7 months) + plenty of shorter visits....I was on the upper west side for the longer stays which is less busy and more villagey than downtown + I had the park straight opposite to escape to so easily..its is a magnificent oasis in the centre of the city
    it really is my favorite place in the world
    it just fits me, even more so than Boston
    i just feel right when i am back there.....i will definitely live there again, just don't know if it will be sooner(my wish) or later

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    it really is my favorite place in the world
    it just fits me, even more so than Boston
    i just feel right when i am back there.....i will definitely live there again, just don't know if it will be sooner(my wish) or later
    Later....

If your still planing on bringing your stepson over, (and I hope your are), NYC might be a place that complicates things? I don't know...

Seems that less commotion in a new land might help you and Ao. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Later....

If your still planing on bringing your stepson over, (and I hope your are), NYC might be a place that complicates things? I don't know...

Seems that less commotion in a new land might help you and Ao. JMO.
    i had written that it is not as simple as wanting to go
    many factors involved that will most likely keep us here in Vancouver for forseeable future, which isn't the worst thing in the world

but i've made up my mind that i need to go back East more
    tickets are not that expensive if i book in advance so just need to book flights in advance, something i am not good at!

our next plans are July 4th, want to show Ao Boston for the 4th