Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By soupdragon
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: the great south thailand blackout?

the great south thailand blackout?

read online news that the whole of south thailand was without elastictrickery for hours,various plots and foil hat reasons but none i believe,so what was up and are you back online?

alledgedly off from surat all the way to hat yai
    Last edited by steve w; 22nd May 2013 at 02:54.

Lights went out in Patong at 7 pm... I think it was down until 8 pm... I thought it was my neighbourhood block at first but nope whole town was dark except for those places with generators. FYI, Aussie Bar on Bangla must have one as their Neon lights were still flashing. Rode out the blackout at the Summer Breeze with Bill and a few BM's. Might have to start hiding hard cash around the room if it happens again, wouldn't want to get caught out without two satangs to rub together because the cash machines don't work.

Did anyone have a problem with their phone service? I use DTAC and they were down during the blackout. Couldn't get a signal.

I read a while back, about Burma doing maintenance work on their gas infrastructure, which would cause electricity shortages in Thailand.... maybe that had something to do with it? That was supposed to be in April, but who knows? Nope scratch that

http://www.thephuketnews.com/biggest...nces-39543.php
    Last edited by dave01; 22nd May 2013 at 05:45.

K2
    'Biggest blackout ever' hits South | Bangkok Post: breakingnews

TiT indeed!! Just think about implications ... hospitals, prisons, army bases!!
    Its My Life .....!

pincer movement ,classic miliitary thought, myanmar and cambodia are going to invade south thailand after taking down the basic infastructure,oh is the power back on now,so maybe not 5555

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    'Biggest blackout ever' hits South | Bangkok Post: breakingnews

TiT indeed!! Just think about implications ... hospitals, prisons, army bases!!
    Reports suggest that the worst consequence was the tin foilers flapping their gums, terrorists, Thaksin, military coup theories all got an airing.

Power outages are so common here I can usually predict how long the power will be out. A sudden break in supply is usually a local problem and fixed in a few minutes whereas the light slowly dimming then going out as happened last night is usually a sign of an equipment meltdown and takes longer.

Yeah well I didnt notice any outage up north.. But woke up to find my expensive bean to cup coffee machine has fritzed.. Second one in a few years and these are a decent outlay. Grrrr...

Note to self. LiLs posting may be a bit erratic for a few days.

Buy the same model. After a while you will have a decent stock of spare parts.
    K2 likes this.

Didn't come back on here until after 11pm.....so happy we have a generator onsite

still..there was no TV or internet for 4-5 hours...what to do 555
    Last edited by nelsonone; 22nd May 2013 at 08:39.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    still no TV or internet...what to do 555
    hey Nels..........just a heads up
    you are on the internet!! 555
    soupdragon likes this.

I have to admit that it was a bit of a concern for me. I have seen plenty of blackout over the years but I have never seen the whole island blacked out, especially in the evening.
    My biggest concern is water. You can make it without electricity for awhile, but not water. We need electricity to pump the water from our storage to our tanks upstairs. No electric, no pumps and consequently, no water.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    hey Nels..........just a heads up
    you are on the internet!! 555
    thanks for that...not so well worded...fixed now 555

We had to talk to the girls in braille in Wicked bar ...

All Ranong lost the power as well, but only for about 15 min......around 7 ish me thinks. It's the longest I've been without power since I moved here......Luckily no water issues here as the water reserve is higher than most of town..

Be interesting to see what the official reasons given are???? was talking to my Lawyer this morning and she had her own theory or reasons and they made sense, but just gossip at this stage, she said they would be made public later today if correct?

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah well I didnt notice any outage up north.. But woke up to find my expensive bean to cup coffee machine has fritzed.. Second one in a few years and these are a decent outlay. Grrrr...
    No guarantee on the machine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Be interesting to see what the official reasons given are???? was talking to my Lawyer this morning and she had her own theory or reasons and they made sense, but just gossip at this stage, she said they would be made public later today if correct?
    The official press release is......

The blackout was caused by a failure in the high voltage transmission power lines from the Central to the Southern region through Bang Saphan district of Prachuap Khiri Khan province, a spokesman of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) said.
    Though initially it was said the problem originated in Trang.

Quote Originally Posted by slimbag View Post
    No guarantee on the machine ?
    When the company sees the 'mainlining' adaptor Sef fitted they may cry foul.