Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jomtien Trip

Jomtien Trip

Unexpected and impromptu trip tomorrow to Jomtien for 4 days. Going with the she-wok, a friend and another gal.

Looking for any input as far as things to do.

We really just needed to get out of town for a few days (long story, may or may not explain later)... so we're renting a car and driving down tomorrow. Booked a hotel (Chef @ Home Hotel?) right near the beach. I figure the girls can go their own way a few times for stinky food or market shopping and me and the other guy will slip away to shoot pool or grab a massage. We'll see.

Anyway, thinking about an island trip since I've never done it. Going to be there 3 or 4 days. Not sure what else to do... any input appreciated...

Dont go right when u coming down the hill toward the beach.
    Agressiv LB zone...
    Atleast used to be a few years ago...

boat trip to koh larn is a nice day out.been a few years since i've done it but believe it only cost 40baht from the pier on pattaya. not sure if you get get there from jomtiem but it would only be a short song taew journey to the pier. some cracking beach's and the water is nice,blue and calm on one of the beach's,actually nicer than php phi water when i was there

http://kohlarn.com/beach.htm

^ yep...Koh Lan...good day out

temple of truth at nakalay

Sanctuary of Truth, Pattaya, Thailand - YouTube

Bang Saray...also worth an outing

bang saray beach - Google Search

Go on - tell all. You know you want to!

Koh Larn is good for a day trip. There are a number of options for a ferry over. Bali Hai pier, large boats every half hour or so up to 12 noon, about BHT40. Last ferry back about 6pm. By PBG, smaller boats direct to the beaches (about BHT100) and speed boats from all the beaches at higher prices.

There are about 6 beaches (I always seem to end up going to monkey beach - I don't know why). As you get off the boat you can either take a moto, walk another 100 yards (on your left) and take a songtheaw or hire a bike. I'd think about hiring a bike and having a look at all the beaches (and doing a TR.....).

Koh Samet and Koh Chang are possibilities but not for the day - on my next trip I will go to Koh Chang with FBRF (favourite beach road freelancer - Bee).

Tammy's new massage parlour gets mixed reviews on PA but everyone seems to agree that A) Tammy gave great BJs and B) she doesn't do so any more because of the boyfriend (that is she doesn't give BJs - not that the standard of her BJs has gone down).

Do you remember Nam (the girl we all - you, Coffers and me - met on Soi 6 one day with her Aussie boyfriend Jon)? Shortly after we met (Nov '11) she got married, went to Australia for 3 months, had an argument, came back and has just got divorced. She's now got a new man (Aussie! and she's "known" him for a year) who's helping her finish off the USD100,000 (yes one hundred thousand US dollars) house somewhere near Surin.

Yeah, funny how things never turn out as planned. Gotta love split-tails for adding some chaos into our lives, eh? Keeps it interesting, I guess.

Our planned start of the drive was for 9am. We left promptly around 11:30. As soon we were finally underway (as in, 10 seconds underway), M pipes up from the back "Solly kuhn Kevin... I'm hungly"

Oh really?

Then again, hell hath no fury like a starving Thai girl... we went immediately to McDonalds.

The initial plan was for me to navigate and for the other guy, P, to drive. Unfortunately, he made it as far as Lampang (an hour?) before I finally took the wheel. He just had this herky-jerky driving style that was scaring the piss out of the girls in the back. Lane changes had to be sudden, brakes applied firmly and sharply, he'd get distracted talking/telling a story and we'd cruise along at 60kph behind some farm truck until he was done.Then he'd look down, see how slow we were going, then stomp on it and fly around poor farmer Somchai as if he'd done something wrong.

Bear this in mind, I have never actually driven a car in Thailand before this. As a yank, it feels like the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of the road to me. Still, I didn't care, I was going to be miserable if I let P drive. So were the girls. So I suggested "hey, this next stretch down to Tak is pretty straight and all on the same road, why dont ya let me drive this part so you dont have to do the whole trip yourself". He agreed to that. I never gave his keys back the rest of the day.

I had tried to tell him twice "you can drive quickly, but it has to be smoothly... TG's arent really used to long road trips in cars, so they get carsick easily... they didnt grow up going everywhere in cars like we did, so ya gotta take it easy"... "oh, ok, got it man", then he'd immediately do something again that made the girls cringe and yelp in the back while I rolled my eyes in the passenger seat. Very nice guy and all, very giving, but definitely not a great driver.

So I ended up doing 750 kilometers of the 850 trip...

Not shockingly, once M had her food she chirped "kuhn Kevin... solly na... I need toilet". Of course you do dear, it's been 25 whole minutes since you last went in McDonalds.

As you can probably tell, when it comes to these long road trips, I tend to want to take a mercenary approach. Plan it all out, then plan contingencies, then try to make decent time as it's already going to be a hell of a long trip. I was figuring 10.5-11 hours. That's a lot of time to be in a car. I dont mind a bathroom break and stretch stop every 60-90 minutes... but go do your business, stretch, hit the 7-11 and buy a snack if ya want it, but do it like you're on a mission... you dont have to run between it all, but dont stand around on the phone like there's nothing better to do either. I wasn't a fun drive for me, honestly. Not terrible, I tried hard to keep the mood light and we all talked and laughed, but it really was my first time driving a car here and I dont know if it's actually legal for me to do it as I have no intl drivers license, the car wasnt in my name, etc. Still, I figured odds of any issues were low and any police questions could be handled with some baht or the bottle of whiskey in the trunk, should it come to that. Then there's also the challenge of just trying to concentrate on driving because it's far safer here to assume anyone driving around you could do something idiotic at any moment.

On the upside, I had asked P to pick up a GPS with the car and he'd followed through. Once I had played with it for 45 minutes, I got the language switched over to english and toll roads not excluded from possible routes and the selection criteria changed from "shortest route" to "fastest route". Let me assure you, these things were not easy to accomplish as I've never played with a GPS before in my life. I missed the whole GPS revolution while working in the desert. But once we did, and I plugged in the destination (it didnt recognize Jomtien as a city, so I had to settle for Pattaya, figuring I could find my way from there) we made not one single wrong turn. That was nice because it gets kind of tricky when you get down around Bangkok and you're trying to bypass the city via toll roads.

Anyway, I took the wheel after an hour and pushed the new Honda Civic to a good pace and we made great time. The other 3 passengers often slept, which I was grateful for as it meant less frequent potty stops. It also meant on long straight sections with no discernible village life nearby, I could ratchet the speed up to 135 or 140 without hearing "oh, we go wery fast na?" from a slightly trembling voice.

Anyway, we finally arrived... took another 30 minutes to get over to Jomtien and find the hotel. Due to some sections of high speed, use of the tollways, no wrong turns and 3 or 4 naps that lasted an hour or more, we made very good time... whole trip took just 9 hours.

As for costs, it was certainly cheaper for a small group of people to drive than it would be to fly... 1000 baht/day for the car, about 2500 baht in gas and 120 baht in tolls. Throw in a little more for road food/waters. Call it an even 4K. So for basically $30 per person, we got the 4 of us from Chiang Mai to Jomtien. Not bad at all.

Checked into the hotel (Chef@Home) once we found it... not bad, but not great... about what one would expect for a 1000 baht/night place right on beach road. No parking for the car, so we had to circle around and find a side street to park on. We got lucky and found a place on the very first lap around. Just a few minutes walk with our bags. No problem.

Unpacked, walked out to get food, beers and aspirin... didnt even have the energy to shower, just fell into bed. P wanted to go walk around a little, so he and M did that. The she-wok also had a headache and just wanted to shower and eat, then sleep. So we stayed in and they went out. I'm sure they'll be calling down before too long now as it's 8:30... guess I need to figure out what we'll be doing today...
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 24th May 2013 at 08:35.

If you`re looking for some really good western food in a nice air con pub try Shennagins Irish Pub. It`s a little pricey there but the food is great.

12.899847,100.868011 - Google Maps

Gotta admit i`m a very nervous passenger in a car and quite often have had to get people to stop and let me drive or point out what they`re doing wrong like thinking about what they are going to say instead of concentrating on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    If you`re looking for some really good western food in a nice air con pub try Shennagins Irish Pub. It`s a little pricey there but the food is great.

12.899847,100.868011 - Google Maps

Gotta admit i`m a very nervous passenger in a car and quite often have had to get people to stop and let me drive or point out what they`re doing wrong like thinking about what they are going to say instead of concentrating on the road.
    I went to their Sunday roast/carving dinner once
    so frigging good!

^ yeah,did that one too. Can`t think of anything they didn`t have.

$30 for hassle or an fly for an easy life? Must have been some occasions on that trip you wished you were in an airport.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    $30 for hassle or an fly for an easy life? Must have been some occasions on that trip you wished you were in an airport.
    But is it ?? You have to get from Swampy or DM to Patts.. And airports are all waiting.. I HATE waiting, I hate queues, I hate being told what to do.. I strongly dislike other people.. Airports are hell for me.

I have done bangkok in 6.5 hours in the car.. I reckon 5 on the bike.. If I have to go to the airport.. You need to be ready for the taxi (waiting).. Have them come early.. get to airport (waiting) check in (queues.. people.. Grrr FUCK).. Immigration.. Lines.. scanners.. people.. waiting.. Blood pressure rising.. urge to kill rising.. You need to be an hour early for the flight.. More waiting.. Fly (hour and something) other end taxis.. etc.. Its just all so nasty.. Mass humanity in enclosed spaces. Or I can be in my own car, with my own tunes, no one telling me to take my shoes off, or my belt, or stand here and wheres your papers.. I can hoon along, choons going, stop when I want, end up door to door and then have wheels at my destination.

I would rather just walk out the door, get in my car and drive.. No contest, even if it costs more.

Its almost the same time door to door for BKK unless you fluke some last minute check in and everything is perfectly times. When it comes to getting to patts even more in your favor. Hell I drove CM to Phuket and back a bunch of times.. I am going to do CM to Phnom Penh in a week. At one point CM to PP was awkward with connections and was taking 10 hours.. I reckon I could do CM to PP in 12 hours on the fireblade, without being crazy.

^ you still have to get a taxi out there which can be a scary experience + baht.
    I`ve done the same drive WP did once,it was ok but wouldn`t do it regularly.

By the way i went a different way,CM>Phistanulok,Nakhon Sawan (117) then the main road south from there. The 117 is almost gun barrel straight and flat and multi lane. I found the road to Tak to be quite bad in long sections...maybe different now?

Agree the 1 south to Tak has some fucking awful bits... Same as the 4 from chumpon to hua hin.. Not one for a bike after dark.

EDIT :: Just had a look at that 117 route.. Surely thats adding some distance ?? I could see using that way and the 11 for a poipet run (I might try that one direction) veering east.. But for a Patts or bangkok it must add a chunk ??
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 24th May 2013 at 15:51.

Must have been some occasions on that trip you wished you were in an airport.
    Honestly, not really. I was momentarily annoyed here and there, but I like being able to see the country and drive myself. This is my second sort of 'road trip' through Thailand, the first being from CM to Hua Hin to Phuket, then back up to Ayuttayah, then home... you learn a little more on each trip when ya do it that way. And really, driving myself was pretty cool, if not a bit long. I certainly now understand the layout of certain secondary cities and locations much better.

As Sef rightly points out, airport travel really is no fun for anyone. The convenience of air travel is great, but only for the part where you're actually in the air & moving at airplane speeds. The rest of it pretty much sucks... and often the part that sucks is far longer than the actual time traveled.

If I were pressed for time, obviously a plane is faster for longer distances, but next time I just need to get down to BKK and the she-wok wants to go, I would consider renting a car again.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Agree the 1 south to Tak has some fucking awful bits...
    They're still working on it... parts of it are awesome and smooth and new... others are terrible.

Only real close call I had was on that stretch... they closed one lane and narrowed the road to a single lane... problem was, unlike the west where we might tell drivers of this impending merge, there was no warning at all, not even a few cones to sort of encourage you to slow down or move over. Just a dead stop, right across the whole right lane. I was behind a large SUV and couldnt see this death trap coming. The SUV moved over at the last minute, but I had someone beside me when I caught site of this sudden end to the road in front of me. I was moving at about 125kph at the time and had very few precious seconds to hit the brakes and cut over before plowing through their roadblock and hitting the huge steam roller just on the other side of the orange tin signage that probably said something important in Thai.

So 2 or 3 different times it cuts down to just one lane so they can rebuild the other, problem is only one of them is advertised in advance. Didn't look to be the same way on the northbound lanes, though I will admit I was much more focused on my own side. Guess I'll see how that side is when I head back...

Initial impressions of Jomtien are pretty favorable, but honestly I'm not certain the beach here is really any cleaner than the one over the hill.

It's not real Thailand... it's a tourist place with a bunch of Thai food.

But it is far, far quieter than Pattaya... more laid back, less pushy, less in-your-face. Honestly, if things between the she-wok and I fell apart and I wanted to get away from CM, I could probably stay here for a few months. It's cheap and there's plenty of western stuff, but if you head away from the beach it gets less and less touristy... so I think I could stay up there somewhere. I dont think I could stay in Pattaya, but I could probably handle Jomtien for a short stint if I wanted a change of scenery.

Just an initial impression after the first day... subject to change as things develop...

Loose plan right now... head over to central festival tonight to see the new Fast & Furious movie... tomorrow the girls will hit the markets for beach stuff and me & P will either go shoot pool for a few hours somewhere, or hit a massage place- I'll leave the choice to him. Couldnt care less either way. Then tomorrow night a friend here is introducing me to an American that works for Chevron in Algeria... hoping he can give me some helpful input on getting my foot in the door to the oil industry as he is supposedly higher up the chain. The next day will be a group trip to Koh Larn. Not sure what we'll do in the evening as it'll be our last night here and I'd like to get an early start the next day...
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 24th May 2013 at 16:50.

Central Festival is a great cinema, great couch seats for two at the back and I think they have some sort of open air setup?

I don't really mind airports once you're prepared, travel light and it helps if you can get fast track and lounge access. It's just the idiots who think they're the only people in the airport and try and carry their entire belongings onto the plane with them. I got a rather confusing mail from Etihad this morning which implies the chauffeur is available for their silver tier frequent flyers like me. That helps too and saves me 100 euro in parking fees

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

EDIT :: Just had a look at that 117 route.. Surely thats adding some distance ?? I could see using that way and the 11 for a poipet run (I might try that one direction) veering east.. But for a Patts or bangkok it must add a chunk ??
    Google maps says it`s 18 k`s extra.

It`s very straight,flat and no bad bits (9 months ago) and multi lane just about all the way.

Surprised the 117 is dual lane all the way.. being a 3 digit Rd I would have thought the 11 would have been..

Never done it that way but its on my radar now for next weeks road trip..

Gonna be complex.. Intending to strap a 640 KTM to the back of my long suffering Golf for the return journey !! Unsure how thats gonna work out !!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast