Thread: Lumpini Stadium closes..

Lumpini Stadium closes..

Final battles to rage Friday at legendary Muay Thai stadium | Coconuts Bangkok

From outside it doesn't look like much, but inside Lumpini Stadium are generations of Muay Thai history.

Six decades of that history will come to a close Friday when top fighters gather to close Lumpini Stadium with a final storm of punishing elbow and knee strikes.

Petboonchu Borplaboonchu and Seanchai PKSaenchaimuaythaigym (Yep, that's his name) are among the marquee fighters who will enter the ring of the ramshackle stadium near Lumpini Park.

The stadium will live on - at least in name. After managing the downtown stadium since 1956, the Royal Thai Army decided to find a bigger venue outside the clogged arteries of the downtown core. On Tuesday the new stadium, which can seat 3,500, will open its doors on Ram Intra Road, Bangkok Post reported.

It may have the same name, but it will be impossible to transplant the mystique of the storied stadium, which is a sacred site to muay Thai fighters and fans the world over.
    Wow thats end of an era !!

shame to see it go....I saw my first ever MT fight there with my father maybe about 40 years ago....man that was so exciting I can still visualise it, smell it and hear the noise/cacophany today

Have you been munching on dictionaries again Nelce?? that's the second time in a couple of days I've seen you posting bigger than 4 letter words!!! 55555 Went to Patong Monday night, first time for about 9 months, you will hardly recognise it next time you are back.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Only went once, real old style boxing arena, no doubt the prices will go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Have you been munching on dictionaries again Nelce?? that's the second time in a couple of days I've seen you posting bigger than 4 letter words!!! 55555 Went to Patong Monday night, first time for about 9 months, you will hardly recognise it next time you are back.
    555...I was last in patong last about 9 months ago too....will try and make it over around Songkran time..will be in touch