Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By richie22
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob

Thread: Indian Curry (Southern Thailand)

K2

Indian Curry (Southern Thailand)

While I was own in Chumphon this weekend, I met up with Richie22 (He is a BM but has not psoted yet here). He makes Indian curries - which are very good IMO and you guys down in the South (Phuket to Hua Hin) if your into curry - give them a go. He sells under the name 'The Curry Shack'.

Wish he expands further - as once I've finished all those I brought up from Chumphon, I have to go back to the 'Britsh Curry Night' ones which I can get in Rimping (Chiang Mai). These are also good but spice/richness of the curry with Richie's I like more.
    Its My Life .....!

I have been enjoying Richies curries for a while now. His madras is spot on IMO.

Yeah solid offerings, I remember thinking a bit costly for takeaway but then got told how much indian spices end up costing.. And it was always big chunks of solid meat, no Thai style bones etc.

BTW Kev, not to thread hijack but we are a fair way away from Richie anyway, have you been over to the sausage King restaurant ?? Or tried his frozen currys in Rimping.. Great food, lamb kebab specials, superb currys including tandoor stuff, pies and the like, Gammons, a proper stodge menu and very little green stuff.. You would love it.. Atkins approved

https://www.facebook.com/sausagekingone
    Sausage King Co ltd. - Sausage King Co. ltd

I was impressed and its seriously good value too..

Thats the small / budget 99b breakfast !! Coffee toasts etc included.. I have been there 3 times in the last week or so
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 29th May 2013 at 17:06.
    K2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah solid offerings, I remember thinking a bit costly for takeaway but then got told how much indian spices end up costing.. And it was always big chunks of solid meat, no Thai style bones etc.

BTW Kev, not to thread hijack but we are a fair way away from Richie anyway, have you been over to the sausage King restaurant ?? Or tried his frozen currys in Rimping.. Great food, lamb kebab specials, superb currys including tandoor stuff, pies and the like, Gammons, a proper stodge menu and very little green stuff.. You would love it.. Atkins approved

Thats the small / budget 99b breakfast !! Coffee toasts etc included.. I have been there 3 times in the last week or so
    He's not making much on that @99B great value!!

Diets going well then????55555
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Rob's got a great operation, love his pork snags as per DownUnder Pub Friday night BBQ.... they are awesome!

I prefer the authenticity of British Curry Nights spices and flavour although mixing SK with BCN, like with like, (eg: Tikka with Tikka) can produce an excellent result.
    Cheers, Rob.

Honestly, I havent yet tried his currys.. If I fancy a curry I go to that place in town past Euro Diner or the UN Irish.. Somehow curry at home isnt right for me..

But his 'stodge' food, and the stuff he keeps putting on Facebook, is pretty damn solid offerings. I couldnt believe the quality of the 99b breakie. Coffee could be machine done tho.. Would pay 30b extra just for proper coffee.

Anyway sorry to hijack what should be Richies curry thread.. Just mind went off on a curry tangent

that got to be some piss poor ingredients to get all that for 99thb. sure it tastes good tho.

Donít really make much Indian food myself, but have never been able to find a stable supply of garam masala on the island. But now Big C in Kamala has started carrying all the seeds and other spices needed for the roasting (except for the cardamom pods). Fairly reasonably priced as well, and came out pretty decent I thought.

Always have a couple of Richieís dishes stashed in the freezer though.

Makro has Garam Masala, not with the rest of the spices but in aisle directly opposite along with other Indian food ingredients. Tops at Central also has it but not all the time and it isn't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    that got to be some piss poor ingredients to get all that for 99thb. sure it tastes good tho.
    Surprisingly its not.. Thick cut back bacon, their own supply sausages.. Etc etc.. I am guessing its a loss leader to get people regular there (its very much an out of town place, its word of mouth trade). Must also help the budget being the wholesaler, selling retail..

The only whinge is as a coffee junkie, I like espresso machine style coffee.. I have no problem paying extra but its essential to a breakfast.

They actually have a dish simply named 'south indian curry' in Bangalore. Not very spicy, and usually eaten with lemon rice. Amazing how far removed curry's are in the UK from authentic Indian food. How do Richie's compare ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

New User
    Hi guy's
    Firstly thanks Kev for for the recommendation and it was good to catch up with you and Gier last weekend in %$£(*&^% beach. The one no one can pronounce even me, and I live here and cheers Sefton for letting it run.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the curries as you know I am pretty passionate about curry.
    My prices are not much above SK for 450 grm portions.
    I buy spices at Makro only if I run out as I have a supplier in Bkk who ships them to me as Makro freshness is a bit hit and miss.
    As Kev said I supply Phuket, Hua Hin ,Chumphon and looking into Samui and Tao next season.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by dan boy View Post
    They actually have a dish simply named 'south indian curry' in Bangalore. Not very spicy, and usually eaten with lemon rice. Amazing how far removed curry's are in the UK from authentic Indian food. How do Richie's compare ?
    Hi Dan
    I have been to India 25 times so far,My first time was 1982.Some of the best food I tried was in Bangalore.I had a Navaratan Korma there which was to die for.
    I learnt how to cook British style Indian when I was head chef of a restaurant in Cornwall.The owner of one of the local curry house's used to come into eat and approached me to ask if I would come to his place and teach his chefs how to cook basic stuff, lamb steaks ect as they were straight in from Bengal .Well one thing led to another and over one year I had worked along side Indian chefs in 3 different places.After a year I was knackered as I was working with them on my days off but I learnt quite a lot.
    Some of stuff I cannot get spot on as the curry houses in the UK use a lot of pastes and dips I cannot buy here.
    I have sold about 10k curries here now and have had 2 complaints.One was the Phal was not hot enough and 1 from an Ozzie who said the Korma was not spicy enough?
    K2 likes this.

Why could we have guessed it would an Aussie that said the korma was not spicy enough????5555

Heh could that be classed as Aussie Bashing???

I see Kamala Bakery still sell your curries Richie, I wrongly thought you had left Rawai/Chalong and moved up north??? just incorrectly assumed you'd moved there and would make them there instead, didn't realise there was a blossoming curryempire going on !!!!
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by richie22 View Post
    I buy spices at Makro only if I run out as I have a supplier in Bkk who ships them to me as Makro freshness is a bit hit and miss.

I’m a complete novice when it comes to Indian cooking, but absent of having garam masala readily available, I found this recipe of already ground spices quite decent. Still think though that doing the roasting adds quite a bit of freshness to it as all the spices tend to become stale after just a few months.

Interestingly, now that Patong Deli appears to have closed up (as well as the Deli up in Chern Talay), it’s actually easier for me to get the pre-ground seeds and spices from Bic C right here in Kamala, and at reasonable prices even. Except for the cardamom pods though. Tried this recipe from one of my favourite food blogs showmethecurry.com using a coffee grinder and came out rather tasty.

Garam Masala Recipe - Indian Spice Mix - YouTube

@SDK ~ there's 2 varieties of Cardamom sold in Th. The usual store-bought one is grown locally and has smaller round green/brown pods. To buy the Indian variety go to a Muslim store and look for largish, green, almost-triangular-shaped pods. The flavour is distinctly different.

Chicken Biryani (Indian) and Khao Mok Gai (Thai) both use cardamon - I usually add extra as I really love the flavour!
    PadMC likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.