Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: phuket info needed.

phuket info needed.

Hello all, After having four years going to samui (lamai), i am thinking of giving phuket a try, so looking for some general advice which area to try and so on.

June/july time i think depending on when i can get leave from work, something on lamai vibe would be welcome, and hotels like lamai inn 99, lamai buri .guest friendly of course.

hope someone can help, cheers for now.

Kamala or Kata may be similar to Lamai??, Patong is the tourist hotspot, girlie bars, discos, go go's etc.

Beach in Patong area is very ordinary though, plenty of accommodation on the island of all price ranges, not familiar with Lamai Inn 99, so can't off a comparison.

Not a very Lamai vibe here in Kamala in June I'm afraid. Kata would be much better in the low season, but Samui beats anything Phuket that time of the year.

I would say Kata as well, I like it there. The beaches are nice, there are decent hotels and good food / nightlife options. I can't compare to Samui because I've never been there,

Agree with sundancekid, not the right time of the year to seek a new venue. Also, if you like swimming it can be very dangerous that time of the year at most beaches at Phuket. Kata is delivering a few bodies every year off season.

thanks alot lads, can you recommend best time off year to go, i do like swimming so might have to look elsewhere or another time to come.

High season is December to February, but November and March are usually ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    High season is December to February, but November and March are usually ok too.
    I wouldn't rule out April and early May either although the chances of thundery rain are much higher.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

I like July personally, it can be hot and the chances of rain are pretty good but, on the upside, it's not stinking hot and there is generally a nice breeze off the sea anyway. Also, it tends to be a bit quieter so hotels are at their best, prices wise, and silly season hasn't kicked in so prices for everything else can often be ok.

I agree the weather is usually OK until early May, just been reading the mercury is predicted to be in the low 40s come the end of March early April this year. Hottest I can remember here is 42.

That bit of mid summer early wet season is one where for many years I would try to head over to Lamai for a month.. The gulf side has generally better weather at that time of year.

For a Lamai vibe on Phuket I would suggest Rawai area.. A limited selection of girly bars.. Nai Harn beach.. There is a club (Icon ??) but not a reason to be there.. Kata still feels more 'busy' than that laid back slow feel of Lamai.

Bue to crazyness in my life its been 2 years since I had my summer month down there, might need to try to get there this year to recharge the beach battery.

Yes
    The forecast for up north and east is low 40+around late march and April...with burning also...time for a holiday.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    The forecast for up north and east is low 40+around late march and April...with burning also...time for a holiday.
    My thinking also..

Wow. Weather forecasts for months ahead. Jobwise I was very happy with one of 5 days, where only the first 2 days were reliable.
    Climatologic you can say in Phuket rainy season starts in April, with normally May wetter than April or June.

Thanks again to everyone that put their thoughts into this thread much appreciated, not got much of a holiday allocation this year with a few changes going on, so i,m looking to combine some of my summer hols with xmas ones and going to phuket then be there for xmas heading home around the 28th weather ok then right 555, any thoughts lads.

Still have to decide what area to stay now, more homework to be done.

anyone used swiss international airlines, also anyone know anything about sun hill hotel nanai road patong, got a reasonable price for both, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    anyone used swiss international airlines, also anyone know anything about sun hill hotel nanai road patong, got a reasonable price for both, cheers.
    I stay there all most exclusively when in Phuket.

Sunhill Hotel is away from the noise and traffic of Bangla, but only a :05 minute ride away in a tuk-tuk or MB taxi. It's a guest friendly place, with extremely courteous staff, and is very well kept and CLEAN.

cheers pablo just what i needed to hear think ill book it now, much appreciated .

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I stay there all most exclusively when in Phuket.

Sunhill Hotel is away from the noise and traffic of Bangla, but only a :05 minute ride away in a tuk-tuk or MB taxi. It's a guest friendly place, with extremely courteous staff, and is very well kept and CLEAN.
    Sticky Nikki's is on the corner.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    For a Lamai vibe on Phuket I would suggest Rawai area..
    I just had a friend that was living in Rawai move back into Patong. He said that it's nothing but the same people every night plus a 100 muay thai fighters competing for the same 20 girls in the clubs. Not sure what type of vibe that would be as I haven't done the nightlife there. Just a general heads up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast