Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Karon or Kata?

Karon or Kata?

So I have already starting thinking about my annual Thailand trip even though it still is months away and I am thinking that I would like to see more of Phuket - apart from Patong. It seems that from my research, Kata or Karon would have the second best nightlife on the island but I would just like some insight as to which of the two is preferred by members.

I am in my early 30's, enjoy the P4P scene and prefer Bars to Nightclubs if you can consider these factors when submitting suggestions through. Cheers!

Well theres a small strip of bars in each, so preference will be down to which bar you have fun in.. Tho I believe the kata zone bars were being pushed out gradually through rent rises ??

So roughly the same quality and quality of nightlife then? Which of the two has the better beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in LOS View Post
    So roughly the same quality and quality of nightlife then? Which of the two has the better beach?
    they are literally walkable to each other in 15minutes
    and traffic isn't bad(or wasn't way back when) so renting a bike is fine also
    so you won't go wrong in either place
    one thing i liked about Kata over Karon is the streets are more quaint so it gives it more of a smaller town feel whereas Karon just has the main street flow right through it

i am sure you will spend time in both easily so just pick whatever hotel you like best from either place

I prefer Kata Beach. The beach is nicer there. Karon is one long stretch.

Lost in LOS
    We have been booked into hotels in Kata and Karon and have always got bored after a couple of days and shifted from our already paid for hotel to one in Patong meaning we paid twice.
    Patong has a life of it's own.
    Thai beaches are not that great and you can reach any of the Phuket beaches from Patong
    We are a lot older than you (twice as old) so if we got bored you probably will too

I had some pleasant nights in Kata last year, I do like the place, but it's not much of a scene like Patong. As LIL says, there is more nightlife in Karon than Kata.If you are going with the right expectations though, as is that it isn't Patong, then it really is a nice place to be. As TL says, you may get bored because Patong is a different world.

One thing I did notice when we were in Karon is that it seemed like a lot of Russians there. Patong is a melting pot of everyone and Kata I really didn't notice but Karon seemed very Russian. Nothing more than an observation and it could just be that I bumped into a lot of them but that is the way it seemed to me.

I prefer the beaches at Kata to Karon but they are both better ( cleaner, less busy ) than Patong.

stay in Patong for the nightlife and scoot out to the beaches each afternon....Paradise, Kata + Kata Noi, Nai Harn, Yanui and Freedom (via longtail from Sth Patong) down south and Kamala, Laem Seng, Surin and Bang Tao to the north
    Lost in LOS likes this.

Thanks for all you insights and I seem to be getting the same message here that both Karon and Kata are not really worth the time when you have Patong in the vicinity. I have been to Patong 8 times already and was wanting to experience another part of the island but I didn't want to be bored at doing so...

It seems that everytime I go back to Patong it gets worse in the sense that it gets more expensive, the BG's and MG's get greedier, crime is on the rise and the overal tourist vibe (Russians, Arabs etc.) is a bit of a downer too. Just my opinion but anyone else here feel the same? I actually now prefer Lamai and Chawang to Patong these days.

I have been to both Karon and Kata a few times. Karon actually has 2 areas with bars, the north end (around Little Mermaid hotel) and the south end (opposite Phuket Orchid resort) that borders to Kata. I like the north end especially because I found some very great girls there on my last couple of visits. I would say that Kata has the most bars and many of them have pool tables if you like that. Be advised though that it is very quiet in low season, but if you want the girls all to yourself, that can be a good thing

I would probably spend about 3 days there if I were to go back now and the rest in Patong. I don't know about Russians, because I haven't seen any. Actually Karon/Kata is extremely popular with Scandinavians, and we do look a little ghostly like the Russians 555.
    Lost in LOS likes this.

Thanks for all you insights and I seem to be getting the same message here that both Karon and Kata are not really worth the time when you have Patong in the vicinity. I have been to Patong 8 times already and was wanting to experience another part of the island but I didn't want to be bored at doing so...

It seems that everytime I go back to Patong it gets worse in the sense that it gets more expensive, the BG's and MG's get greedier, crime is on the rise and the overal tourist vibe (Russians, Arabs etc.) is a bit of a downer too. Just my opinion but anyone else here feel the same? I actually now prefer Lamai and Chawang to Patong these days.
    I feel exactly the same about Patong. I really wouldn't bother going there if my buddy wasn't so keen on the place but, when you get to Phuket, nowhere else really gets a look in if it's nightlife you are after. If I had my way I would go to Bangkok and Pattaya, and leave Patong to the backpackers and all the rest.

We are going to try Chiang Mai this time, I haven't been there for ten years or more so looking forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I feel exactly the same about Patong. I really wouldn't bother going there if my buddy wasn't so keen on the place but, when you get to Phuket, nowhere else really gets a look in if it's nightlife you are after. If I had my way I would go to Bangkok and Pattaya, and leave Patong to the backpackers and all the rest.

We are going to try Chiang Mai this time, I haven't been there for ten years or more so looking forward to that.
    I tried Patts last year and it wasn't my cup of tea to be honest - way too much filth for my liking and not the good kind either. I have mixed experiences and feelings with BKK and I actually loved Chiang Mai and will be going back there later this year. The people from the north are friendlier, the hospitality and food is fantastic too however the P4P scene is rather quiet considering the other major culprits but OK none the less (minimal bull busting from the BG's which is always a big tick for me). I will also be giving Sukhothai a go but not expecting much from the night life (if anything at all) as the main purpose of my visit will be to visit the national park - its been on the Bucket list for some time now :-)

I tried Patts last year and it wasn't my cup of tea to be honest - way too much filth for my liking and not the good kind either. I have mixed experiences and feelings with BKK and I actually loved Chiang Mai and will be going back there later this year. The people from the north are friendlier, the hospitality and food is fantastic too however the P4P scene is rather quiet considering the other major culprits but OK none the less (minimal bull busting from the BG's which is always a big tick for me). I will also be giving Sukhothai a go but not expecting much from the night life (if anything at all) as the main purpose of my visit will be to visit the national park - its been on the Bucket list for some time now :-)
    For me the big difference with Pattaya is the size of it. When you are in Patong it's all concentrated around Bangla so one bunch of knobs can have an impact on the whole place. In Pattaya it's plenty big enough to get away from a bunch of knobs if you want to and still find plenty of good places. I'm 50 this year as well, the demographic in Phuket generally is younger than me these days and in Patong I feel that, Pattaya is more my age.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    For me the big difference with Pattaya is the size of it. When you are in Patong it's all concentrated around Bangla so one bunch of knobs can have an impact on the whole place. In Pattaya it's plenty big enough to get away from a bunch of knobs if you want to and still find plenty of good places. I'm 50 this year as well, the demographic in Phuket generally is younger than me these days and in Patong I feel that, Pattaya is more my age.
    You raise a good point there and as it seems, there are more knobs now in Patong than ever. I think Samui, whilst a lot smaller, is the place to be however it will only be a matter of time before the same thing happens down there too.

Hard to make all these generalised comments about places. I was in Patong a couple of weeks back, my impression more young blokes than say 8 - 10 years ago, are young blokes knobs? are there more young blokes now because before there was more older blokes and the young'uns thought they were knobs?? I thought there were more young guys and definitely much more young European girls than I'd ever seen before. But then thought wait a minute, this is one night in 365 nights, so I didn't ought to come to any consensus? same as guys coming here for a week or so making a decision on how this or that place is now, or is for the entire year maybe?

As for Patong only being about Bangla Road, heh your due another trip back, bit more about Patong than just Bangla Road!! just another example of one persons experience, wake eat, drink, where? oh Bangla Road, yep good, fly home, wonder if there was anywhere else in Patong???? or even Phuket for that matter?
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Having just had a week in Patong, I actually liked the fact it was full of young kids.....................because it appeared to me that none of the feckers could afford a bird and I had the pick of the whole fucking lot of em !!!!!!
    The young lads seemed to wander around having a chang in this bar or that bar, and come 2/3am all the best looking birds were all still sat there ! Completely different to Patts where if you snooze u lose.....
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

So Patong is the new Pattaya. Maybe I should give it another chance... it's where it all started for me... and then I was distracted by the abundance of Pattaya. But if supply is exceeding demand in Patong again (well for one week anyway Dodger... 555) it could well be worth me breaking a bad habit...

There is far too much mention of knobs here for my liking..

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    There is far too much mention of knobs here for my liking..
    must be due to Nomis' imminent return...people are getting a mental image already...no pics this time please Simon...I'm still purging 555

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Hard to make all these generalised comments about places. I was in Patong a couple of weeks back, my impression more young blokes than say 8 - 10 years ago, are young blokes knobs? are there more young blokes now because before there was more older blokes and the young'uns thought they were knobs?? I thought there were more young guys and definitely much more young European girls than I'd ever seen before. But then thought wait a minute, this is one night in 365 nights, so I didn't ought to come to any consensus? same as guys coming here for a week or so making a decision on how this or that place is now, or is for the entire year maybe?

As for Patong only being about Bangla Road, heh your due another trip back, bit more about Patong than just Bangla Road!! just another example of one persons experience, wake eat, drink, where? oh Bangla Road, yep good, fly home, wonder if there was anywhere else in Patong???? or even Phuket for that matter?
    You can't make generalised comments, no, however I have been back to Patong every year for the past 6 or so years and am going back at the same time so I am seeing the comparsion at the same time every year on the year.

Def more young blokes and young backpackers than ever before and I have no issues with that or them for that matter but its more so the trouble makers that go there and are continuing to go there on the increase who think they are still in the West of Sydney, wanting to street fight like they would on a Sat night on the piss back at home. Personally I blame Jetstar for their el cheapo flights! Then you have the others that fall into that same league but I don't want to go into specifics...

Sure there is more to Patong than Bangla road but lets be honest here, its the main strip where everything and anything goes and where you have access to all you could want... its the place to be.
    Last edited by Lost in LOS; 28th February 2014 at 07:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast