Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Chiang Mai Eateries

That menu looks superb.. Will be trying that soon !!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    That menu looks superb.. Will be trying that soon !!
    It is one of the Queen's favorite, supposedly
    Many photos of her in the restaurant

We went the 1st time we went to Chiang Mai. We were staying at the old Sheraton(i don't think there anymore)
    I got a huge suite for about 100usd/night
    I asked them a recommendation for Italian and they recommended Piccolo
    Piccolo actually sent over a Merc to pick us up

Now, i don't know if he still does it....but the chef/owner brought out your apps and entrees and he was real funny. Was taking the piss about Ao but not in a condescending way, just like......"hey my friend, i don't care how you like you food, but let's see how this beauty likes it" But really in a funny way, not creepy or mean spirited.

And I think you can guess I like Italian food and i thought this place was superb!

Piccola Roma Palace Restaurant Reviews, Chiang Mai, Thailand - TripAdvisor

I like a good host like that.. But its very easy for a poor host to be over bearing or around too much.. Once the food comes, chit chat over and leave please..

Anyway the menu looks great.. Its added to the list.

any updates for this thread as will be visiting chiang mai for the first time in 14 years and it will be a bit of a foodie crowd !

Yes
    I noticed the other day that Sisters,one of my recommendations is now closed.

I would also like to second K2 recommendation of the Hinlay ,I have eaten there about 8 times now.
    It has such a nice vibe,very different from anywhere else I have eaten in CM.A bit like being at someones house.
    It feels very peaceful even when it is busy.
    ( photo below)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I still havent tried Hinlay, despite being fairly into that kind of curry..

What about high end french/euro type places?

L auberge was swanky western / Euro..

Was told of a couple of other franco places inside the moat, by a buddy who lived in france and was a bit of a francophile, but not tried them. Will see if I cant remember and or scout them out.

Yes
    We went to the Hinlay for dinner tonight ,had not been for months.

They have renovated the place and enclosed what was an open porch.
    Looks very good,it looked kind of homely before ( which I Liked ) it looks a bit more up market now.
    The menu and prices much the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow they have upgraded, did they lose the parking though, I think someone mentioned that ??

How was the food and prices.. The same review that said something about parking also said the prices had jumped and where you could get the curry bowls with enough to share they ordered and received seriously tiny portions at much higher prices. The review, from a previous fan, said they wouldnt be returning. Of course given the lack of consistency thats pretty common, I would take one visit as a warning but possibly just a bad night.

I like Hinlay, eat there 3 or 4 times this summer, the currys were pretty genuine (could be a bit spicier to a brit taste) and they have a diverse range with Burmese and others.. One massive negative is the nan breads are not tandoor baked and are small disappointing little discs.. I tried Le Spice a couple of months back and thought it was a better overall meal but possibly a less interesting menu choice.

Yes
    I was on my bike,I park outside so did not notice the parking.
    The restaurant is still taking up about the same footprint and the parking is after the building I thought it would be much about the same.

The pumpkin curry I ordered was the same price as was the rice,my whole meal cost about the same,
    The portions are quite small,what I really like is the sauce that you get with samosas,its unique for me.
    I usually get a takeaway also.
    I think the food is good without being great.

OK seems the bad review might have been a one off..

Accidental discovery..

I had seen pictures posted by a contact on facebook for laos cuisine place.. But was baffled as it looked like this huge building by a lake, yet was out on the ring Rd near Payap so I couldnt place it.. Worked out it was in the V community plaza and thats not far, so feeling like sampling Laos, and some salady type wraps went there with the missus. We get there, plenty parking, huge huge building etc.. Wander in upstairs.. Its obviously a new place, built to look old style, wood, those colored glass windows, staff dressed in traditional gear, all great.. But probably set up for large groups (maybe hoping for tour busses its that large) and multiple specials like morning buffet (khanom jean and geangs) 89b etc etc..

I didnt take any pics or a camera so these are just low quality snaps out of my missus phone..

Its nice simple decor and style, indoor and outdoor.. But large place for big groups which is sorta odd considering it way out on the middle ring rd..

We get the menu, both hungry, ordered up and I am thinking 'this doesnt look so much like Laos food, this is northern Thai'.. Somtams, geangs, phak and nahm prik, fish mains, etc etc.. Not a huge menu but loads of it looking appealing. Food came out fast along with some delicious drinks (lemongrass / water and coconut water) and I have to say, this was all delicious. Perfectly done, very high quality, exactly hit the nail on the head for northern Thai food.

Somtam salt egg, already half attacked before she remembered the camera.

Sai uah.. Northern Sausage.. Spicy, chunky, just right texture.

Fried Tabtim (nile perch ??) with Nam Dtock sauce.. Meat filleted from the bones so easy chunks to eat..

Plus unpictured sticky 'black' rice (with I think peanuts in it.. Really good) and multiple steamed white rice. The whole number with drinks everything was IIRC low 400b.

Its fairly normal simple northern Thai here, so easy to discount the details and think its just like many other places, but the little touches, drinks were superb, all the flavors just right, the servings of khao suay white rice has a sprinkle of poppy seeds or other little garnish to the center, it was just excellently done, every dish was exactly at it best. Plus it was great value and a decent setting. Theres a picture wall and on inspection its covered in Thai celebrity and stars, including royals, so as this place cant have been open long I am guessing this is another branch of an established local known place ??

So after the food has arrived, and my mind is ticking I start thinking, well this is northern Thai, why is this a Laos restaurant ?? I ask for the menu back and I check and theres no Laos spring rolls, in fact I was sure my buddys FB update has salmon something and theres none on the menu, in fact theres nothing Laos about the menu at all, its pure traditional northern thai. Its only as we walk out, and this is on my mind, I realize the giant wooden building we are in, is divided into 2 wings by a walkway entrance, and one side is the Laos place and the other is the place we eat.. Possibly joint owned but who knows. So I didnt eat at the right restaurant even !!! Ohh how we laughed !! Now I have to go back, try the Laos food, and decide if we have a favorite. Try a review for that after.. This is where I was trying to get to.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/%E0%B...47605351967808

Dead handy for me as close to home and my side of the city, top quality food at bargain basement pricing.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 22nd November 2014 at 08:48.
    kris-one likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12