Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Chiang Mai Eateries

Yes

Chiang Mai Eateries

Lets start this thread with" Sisters"...it is on Changklan road about 3ks south of the night market. Just after a large hotel called the Ratilana.
    It is on the Ping river and has outdoor and undercover eating areas.

It is very popular with both Thai and ferang and often booked for birthday parties,

They have a large menu which is reasonable price,Main course between 100and 300 Bhat,Dinner for 2 would cost me about 500 to 600...
    more if the GF feels the urge for a few Large leo.I think the food and the service is good.They also have a Japanese menu,with some good Sushi.
    A Sushi plate would be about 120 to I80.

So I think of this as mid- range pricing,not too cheap but not very expensive.

They also usually have a good band playing, old cover songs.You know Elvis and eagles and other Thai and old people favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    nelsonone likes this.

Yes

Galae Restaurant

This is Galae restaurant and it is at the dead end of Suthep Road. You take Suthep Rd as far as you can then opposite the end there is a steep private drive into parkland
    and the restaurant.

It is set in gardens beside a a small lake.I have been here a few times but only for lunch,so not sure about the scene at night.I often take friends here after a visit
    to Doi Suthep.

Mostly it has been a Thai Clientele with the occasional ferang.I like how peaceful it is after the hustle and bustle of the city,which is only a short distance away.

The menu is mostly all Thai food,which is quite good and reasonable price.I guess I like the place for the ambience.

Yes

Eating Cheap

The next 3 places are more about eating cheap than fine dinning.

The first is Chiang Mai gate which is a paved area at the gate on the south side of the old city.
    In the day it is a cheap clothes market,at sundown the food carts arrive the table and chairs come out
    and its an eating area.

You get a mixed bunch of folk here, young Thai's coming from work,backpackers,expats who look like they have been here
    since the Vietnam war,families

What they all have in common is eating cheap.There are carts selling fried rice and chicken for 30Bhat,noodle stalls,pork and chicken stalls,
    fresh fruit,drinks and shakes,everything is cheap,dinner or 2 persons for 100 Bhat.

It has a very relaxed atmosphere,and all the different people blend well.

Yes
    So still on the eating cheap theme.
    I read various discussions on web boards about Indian Restaurants in CM.
    There seem little consensus other than there is not a stand out one in CM.
    That said I like this place "Le Spice" it is in the night market area on Soi 6
    If you were walking south on Changklan Rd it would be the soi on your left before you came to Loi Khro Rd
    It is run by a muslim family,its clean and the service is very good even when busy,the clientele almost exclusively tourist,
    Its cheap,the " Talli plate" below is 110 Bhat, they do a reasonable indian menu and Thai food,( I have only eaten the Indian
    I would go to a Thai restaurant for Thai food),you can easily eat dinner here for 100 to 200 Bhat.
    As its a Muslim restaurant they do not sell alcohol but a girl from the bar opposite brings you booze.
    I would say the food is ok without being great.

The next place is " juice4 you." This place can be found just inside the old city,if you came up Loi Khro Rd,crossed the moat and carried straight on
    J4You is about 20 meters up from the moat.
    This is Juice bar and vegetarian restaurant,they do fresh juice like combo's of carrot, celery,beet,ginger apple etc.
    They do things like vegetarian masaman with tofu,vege and brown rice for 70 Bhat,I like brown rice sometimes and not many places sell it.
    the juices are about 35 Bhat. So dinner and drink about 100 Bhat,
    Again this is a tourist restaurant,the Young Thais who run the place are very friendly and speak good English.

A couple of things this thread was started so others can submit restaurants they like also.

I have no business interest with any of these places nor do they belong to friends of mine

For me the best in Chiang Mai is Huen Fen in the old town. Sorry, as I am on holidays I can not look up the streetname. For evenings is booking advised

Yes
    ^Thanks Captain,I eat out a lot so will give it a try.
    Its at 112 Ratchamanka Road,

Lunch is outside and cheap, Thai standard, dinner is in the back inside the house and a bit more expensive. Lot of Thais and farangs.
    I love the Northern style starters, with the saucises, crispy porc skin, other meats, vegetables and dip sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    You know Elvis and eagles and other Thai and old people favorites.

Less of the old people, thanks!

Interesting thread.

K2
    Chiang Mai eating ... a good thread ... for the best curry I've had in CM, this is my pick ...

https://www.facebook.com/HinlayCurry?fref=ts

It's not very easy to find and is more a hobby that a serious business - but the food and atmosphere are worth the throuble taking to find it and if does have some odd hours of opening too!
    Its My Life .....!

Thanks for posting this thread. Think the wife and I will be in CM for a few days in early June.

All the places I ate at whilst in CM were great , can't remember the names though ... There was one on the River just down from the Iron Bridge and a great Western restaurant just next door to the Raming Lodge ... Also can't visit CM without trying the sausage sizzle on the roof of the Downunder Pub
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Great thread!Will definitely try some of the suggestions when back in CM.

We need a good Italian place up here.

I'm going to hit Stefano's (sp?) near the gate tonight, but it's pretty average imo. Just dont know of anywhere that's better.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post

I'm going to hit Stefano's (sp?) near the gate tonight, but it's pretty average imo. Just dont know of anywhere that's better.
    Chez Marco is good, not cheap but worth it sometimes.. The tuna carpaccio excellent starter and had a few good meals there. Kind of a treat yourself experience.

Why not on nimanheamin soi 11 is my simple italian stop when I dont need posh but want good food.. Every night specials.. Good quality prep and presentation.. A fair bit cheaper than Chez Marco and just as tasty, tho I think CM has a bit more expensive ingredients and ambiance. Why not is a bit plastic tables and chairs.. Why not is the sort of place you want to be ordering a starter main and a cheese plate kind of setup, its not huge portions. Good host also, friendly and engaging without being interfering or hanging around.

Happy pizza out on canal rd also not bad.. Sells wine by the 1l pitcher.. Last time our table had I think 5 pitchers on a sunday afternoon.. Step down from the other 2 tho.

Stefanos was ok. Not bad. The Buschette appetizer is actually decent. I just wanted some decent spaghetti, but I was too lazy to make it myself. It was passable at the restaurant, but nothing noteworthy. The she-wok had seafood spaghetti. She said "not as good as when you make spaghetti and garlic toast at home for us". Had to agree.

Meeting my friend at Loco Elvis tomorrow night. Hope he can feed himself. Last time I saw him, he had two broken wrists and a broken foot. Product of an accident... when 2 wheels collide with 4 wheels, the result isnt pretty.

I like Loco Elvis. It's highly touristy and its much more tex-Mex than real hispanic food, but the sizzling fajitas are great. Lots of decent choices there, actually.

I saw the Mike's Burgers are all closed around town. Wonder what happened there...

I think Loco Elvis is same owner as 3 little pigs yeah ?? Never eaten it as I tend to avoid most tourist traffic places on the moat.

I just wanted some decent spaghetti, but I was too lazy to make it myself.
    I am guessing you dont mean from scratch yeah ?? Have you seen anywhere in town selling fresh pasta ??

Theres some high quality / premium dried pasta in rimping but would like to get fresh if I could sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I think Loco Elvis is same owner as 3 little pigs yeah ?? Never eaten it as I tend to avoid most tourist traffic places on the moat.
    There's multiple owners, and drama within that framework, but I'm just there for the fajitas usually.

Salsa house is a decent second choice, but it's over near Kad Suan Kow so ya dont get "the show" of seeing all the tourists walking around in various states of confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I am guessing you dont mean from scratch yeah ?? Have you seen anywhere in town selling fresh pasta ??

Theres some high quality / premium dried pasta in rimping but would like to get fresh if I could sometimes.
    Nah, it's more the sauce than the pasta. A non-skimpy amount of beef, chunks of mushrooms, garlic, salt, rosemary, oregano... with shredded parmesian sprinkled over the hot pasta before adding the sauce, then a bit more cheese on top of the sauce for presentation.

Paired with Texas Toast or similar garlic bread... not that stingy restaurant anemic half bit of crust with no garlic or butter.

Picolo Roma was excelllent when i went a long time ago....one of the best i have had inLOS but not cheap
    The chef/owner was quite the character also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast