• 1 Post By Steve@thaib
  • 6 Post By dan boy
  • 1 Post By t0rn
  • 1 Post By pavlov's dogs
  • 1 Post By billpay
  • 1 Post By stupscott

Thread: A Scoot Around Isaan

A Scoot Around Isaan

Around my neck of the wood things are still rapidly developing and changing for the good

I had a fellow BM and good friend wanting to visit and have a break from Patts and I had to do a visa run, so it seemed like a good time to have a wee tour around

Khon Kaen
    One night here and unfortunately it was a buddha day so almost everywhere wasn't selling alcohol. KK continues to evolve and is very centred on Thai style nightlife. It's becoming increasingly sophisticated with some great bars / restaurants and nightclubs with live music. Some places to mention RAD, U Bar Boss Club and Wine 22 and Blues Bar (only farang bar we went into) This is definitely a big step away from Farang style nightlife scene so might no suit all. We stayed at Glacier hotel in the heart of the city; a very nice a good value for money boutique hotel with very modern facilities, cost was around 1500 baht per night. The soi running on Glacier hotel has little skank karaoke & boom boom huts with loads of girls in them for anyone that is interested

Khon Kaen to me doesn't feel like Isaan anymore, with the university (always been there) and the huge number of moo baans being built literally everywhere and the resultant mix of Thai's moving to KK, the place is much more cosmopolitan than you might expect

Chumphae & Home
    It was then on to the house and a night out in the local town, now this is deepest darkest Isaan no question. It's molarm everywhere and you do really feel its massively different. We had a cracking night out in Tawaen Daeng Chumphae, litre bottle of black label and food all in for 4 of us was no more than about 3k for the whole night. Great music and electric atmosphere. You need to be a wee bit more clued up here as the locals tend to get hammered real quick and can then descend into curiosity on their part and sometimes a bit of chaos. Was funny when leaving we had 2 poofs grabbing me and my m8 trying to kiss us 55555555555

Udon Thani
    We drove up to there from my house, roughly 2 1/2 hour drive around 160km. Udon is a very different place from Khon Kaen. They are well used to farangs in that town with it's expat community and lots of passing through visitors probably mostly trecking from Laos. The nightlife scene is pretty compact and has big farang presence. It has lots of farang style bars with plenty BG's (plenty hotties) and ladyboys to suit all tastes. It has to be said I found a lot of the BG's even more hardcore that what i have experienced in BKK or Patts. I've been to Udon loads of times but never had I noticed the level of experience in these BG's. We had a pretty good time albeit it got a wee bit out of hand on the last night 55555555555 (wont say more than it was wise we were leaving town the next day) We were joined by another BM and his brother so it was full on party mode. Some places worth a mention Udon Day & Night Bar complex, all the bars around there on that Soi (sorry don't remember names) Around the night market just down the road and round corner from Udon Day and Night, bunch of bars and nightclubs open to very late. Watch out some of the bars are AC/DC 55555555555. Be careful late at night I felt there are some real unsavoury elements of expats in Udon who are obviously in hiding

Hotel we stayed at Pannarai Hotel, which is on the main bar soi as Udon day & Night complex (literally next door). The is a very good standard of hotel with pool etc........we paid 1460 baht per night

Nong Kai / Laos Visa Run
    Not much to report on this, quick 45 minutes drive to the Friendship Bridge from Udon. I always use the agents beside 7 Eleven at the border. Of course you don't need to but with the cost of 2000 baht including the Laos visa fee which I think is $30 USD then I think the resultant 1k service charge is well worth it. I was over and back including a quick shopping trip in the Indo China market in an hour. The agents drive you over and back, hold you hand if required, bribe the officials on both sides and skip the queues, thus all in all it becomes an painless exercise for you

Some BM's who were with me feel free to add to the above 5555555555555
    nelsonone likes this.

Re Udon..

As well as Panerai Hotel.. Who fucked my booking up for a twin bed room the time before last.. @home next door is a very reasonable 650 thb for a clean nice place and a league above top mansion for only 200b more.

I see they just hosted the Isaan drift and gymkhana up there last weekend but our timing meant we left town before it.. If I had known might have times it differently.

When in KK Gee you must try the hofbrauhaus (or whatever it is called) under the Pullman hotel. They brew their own beer ( blonde and brown) and a fantastic band playing whatever music you want.

I was pleased to get out of Udon alive. Won't be rushing back to that nasty little place ;-)
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Quote Originally Posted by dan boy View Post
    I was pleased to get out of Udon alive. Won't be rushing back to that nasty little place ;-)
    Blimey, must be more to that story. Care to share?

I've always enjoyed Udon. I'm looking forward to getting back there in October. We generally stay at the Charoen, pretty close to everything so a walk to the nightlife areas and decent restaurants. Starbucks in the mall five minutes away. I stayed at the Irish Clock once as well, that was cheap as chips and very good for the price. Always had a decent feed at the Irish Clock too, worth going out of your way for even if you aren't staying there.

I liked Nong Khai too, there's a pleasant little strip along the riverfront and we managed to find enough hightlife to keep us interested.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Nice little report!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Blimey, must be more to that story. Care to share?

Well, after the 1st night I woke up a few thousand light in my wallet.

Second night I was chased up the road under a hail of bottles

It wasn't my fault................honest
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

I love Udon, for me it's the perfect balance between 'fun Thailand' and 'real Thailand'.
    Obviously dan boy experienced real Thailand
    krukke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    When in KK Gee you must try the hofbrauhaus (or whatever it is called) under the Pullman hotel. They brew their own beer ( blonde and brown) and a fantastic band playing whatever music you want.
    Will be staying at the Pullman in June.

Breakfast is good, but lunch and dinner in the different restaurants is soso.
    As said the Kronen brauhaus has a good band, and they brew their own beer. Also a karaoke (with hostesses) next to it

^ What about a Soapy? 555 I know they have one at the Kosa ...

Quote Originally Posted by dan boy View Post
    Well, after the 1st night I woke up a few thousand light in my wallet.

Second night I was chased up the road under a hail of bottles
    Nice to see you are learning under Gee how to have a good night 555
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlov's dogs View Post
    Nice to see you are learning under Gee how to have a good night 555

So.....let me get this straight...
    LivinLOS likes this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    So.....let me get this straight...
    I think there is zero chance of making that "straight", no matter how you view it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    I think there is zero chance of making that "straight", no matter how you view it.....
    Except maybe a J. Walker straight, no water, no ice

I thought I'd add my view of Nakhon Phanom

I've been there 4 times now, by no means an expert on the place, I use it as a base to visit the GF's family 30 min out of town. I always fly into Udon Thani, Hire a car from Lek and drive to Nakhon Phanom which is a good three or four drive, and very boring. I've never noticed any car hire places around NP otherwise I'd fly straight there from swampy (it did cross my mind if this might be a viable business to start now, just as the place seems to be growing).
    They're currently upgrading the road from Sakhon Nakhon to NP to make it dual carriageway all the way through.

NP grows every time I've visited over the past 18 months. There's now a big Tesco Lotus with a small food mall that includes a KFC (the first western fast food place in NP). A new Makro too. No shopping mall, only the usual gold shops, electrical goods and noodle shops. The day market is pretty good for food, clothes (Addihad and Niks sports gear 55) and anything you might need but you have to be prepared for the farang prices, I do better at haggling than the GF though but have leant when to send her in alone. There's a street market every night, but it's mainly just food.

I've only noticed two bars with BGs but never managed to free the ball and chain to have a look inside, Lolittas (I assume thats a BG bar but only seen it closed during the day) on the waterfront and another further north, also on the waterfront, I didn't catch the name as I drove past but I did see three girls outside, none of them made want to stop 55. Massage shops are rare, I've seen three and used one, 300THB for an oil massage, not Issan prices but the lady did have a shop in Bangkok so I think she's brought her price cards from there.

I've stayed in the Rabphorn Inn and The Room Hotel. The Rabphorn is my first choice but isn't within walking distance of any bars or restaurants and tuk tuks are scarce at closing times. Both are basic but clean, fridge & TV, which is the best you can hope for from the reviews listed on the booking websites.

I'll try and get round to doing a TR of the trips!
    IMG_2153.jpgDSCF0433.jpgDSCF0500.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geespot likes this.

I have read the Lollies is the same as the other branches and that they rotate the girls from the bangkok / Patts ones.

I have no idea if its true but its been said that the Lollies owner has a home base up there and hence why he has a version in town. No idea who is behind the franchise so cant say.

Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, and that bit of deep NW thailand are the only provinces I havent been around. I think I might go to the rocket festivals this year and use that time as a good one to look about a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I have read the Lollies is the same as the other branches and that they rotate the girls from the bangkok / Patts ones.

I have no idea if its true but its been said that the Lollies owner has a home base up there and hence why he has a version in town. No idea who is behind the franchise so cant say.

Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, and that bit of deep NW thailand are the only provinces I havent been around. I think I might go to the rocket festivals this year and use that time as a good one to look about a bit.
    555555555 via Udon Thani of course, there seems to be a big fkin magnet about there!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    555555555 via Udon Thani of course, there seems to be a big fkin magnet about there!!!!!
    I have no idea what you mean

And have a couple of Khon Khen and Korat ones added to the rolodex now anyway..