Thread: Udon Thani - A Traveller's Guide

Udon Thani - A Traveller's Guide

Udon Thani province is situated in the North East of Thailand, some 450km from Bangkok, and is home to some 1.5m people. Udon Thani city has a population of some 400,000. To the East of Udon Thani, around 90km to the North, lies Nong Khai and the border to Laos across the Friendship Bridge.

Udon Thani airport ( UTH ) is a ten minute drive from the city. Transport options are good with car rental companies, taxis and buses all operating from the airport. For those travelling directly to Laos there are four buses daily to the Friendship Bridge.

Direct flights run to / from Bangkok, both Don muang ( DMK ) and Suvarnabhumi ( BKK ), Chiang Mai ( CNX ) and Phuket ( HKT ). Flights to and from Don Muang are operated by the low cost carrier Air Asia, those from Suvarnabhumi are operated by Thai Airways International.

More airport information can be found here: Udon Thani Airport (UTH) Thailand | Udon Thani Airport Guide
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 8th June 2013 at 02:34.

Where to stay in Udon Thani

Hotel options are good. The main area around the Central Plaza shopping plaza, night life areas and bus station has plenty of options to suit all budgets.

Charoen Hotel - 549 Phosi Road, Udon Thani, Thailand, 41000: A pleasant mid range hotel with budget room rates, expect to pay 1000-1200baht per night. It has a pleasant pool, decent restaurant and is close enough to all amenities.

Irish Clock - 49/5-6 Sampantamitr Road, Udon Thani, Thailand, 4100: A nice budget guest house serving great food and showing sport every day. A bit of an expat hangout but very friendly. Expect to pay around 900baht per night.

City Lodge - 83/14-15 Watthananuwong Road, Udon Thani, Thailand, 4100: A great budget option. Great rooms and fantastic food operated by a very friendly couple. Expect to pay 500-1000baht per night depending on room choice.

Top Mansions - Kust along from the Irish clock about 400Bhat a night,pretty basic but ok,clean, AC,parking. Good cafe for breakfast (run by a German expat) across the street.

Note: Additions to this hotel section are particularly welcome
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 8th June 2013 at 02:37.

Pool at the Charoen Hotel:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 7th June 2013 at 03:50.

Udon Thani by Night

There is some nightlife in Udon. It isn't Bangkok or Pattaya but it's not meant to be. There are a couple of bar strips around the central area:

Day and Night - A strip of bars a couple of hundred metres up from the Irish Clock guest house. The whole strip is covered so a good option if it's raining, don't expect late night raucous goings on like Soi Cowboy though; it's generally pretty quiet and quite relaxed. Usually closes at 1am and closing can be enforced quite heavily by local police.

Nutty Park - Another strip of bars but with a little more going on than Day & Night. Nutty Park is more of an expat hangout but is pleasant enough, a good place to watch sport or play pool. Again, usually open until 1am and closing rigourously enforced.

Mr. Tong's Bar - 311/9 Prajuk Road, Udon. Where everbody goes when the other bars close. Late night, loud music, very funky.

Note: Lots to add here, all current info welcome.
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 7th June 2013 at 04:18.

Udon by night, taken from the Napalai Hotel:

For car rental in Udon I recommend LEK, a Thai-Western family owned company > Lek Car Rental and Truck Hire Udon Thani Thailand

LEK are very popular with regular visitors due to their modern fleet at excellent pricing with GPS & Insurance cover included. Book early and arrange pick-up upon arrival at airport or city depot.

I found driving around Udon Thani, Nong Khai and Khon Kaen very easy - nothing like the traffic hassles of Bangkok or Phuket. Roads are good although GPS comes in handy around town.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes
    Pic of day and night in Udon

Thanks for info fellas. I agree with the driving Rob, pretty much pain free in the area and a must if you want to see anything. No getting gouged by the BIB either.

Any hotel reccommendations for us?

Thanks for pic of Day and Night. Can you make it any bigger? Do you have any more from around town? I'm a bit short on pictures from Udon.

Yes
    I tried won't enlarge...my other shots I deleted due to poor Quality.

I stayed at Top mansions,just along from the Irish clock about 400Bhat a night,pretty basic but ok,clean, AC,parking,more info on Agoda if needed..also GF,( although I didn't avail myself this trip).good cafe for breakfast (run by a German expat) across the street.

I have also stayed at the city lodge on a previous trip,the rooms at the front are above a Karaoke bar and can get quite noisy.the rooms at the back are ok..nice big rooms,and modern decor.was renovated about 8 months ago.

N.B. Hotel is a good place to stop, north of airport and east of the city centre on road #22 > N.B Hotel Udon Thani | AtSiam

GPS Coordinates: 17 24.193' N – 102 47.984' E

Spacious rooms, clean and with all amenities. Off-street parking and quiet location. Excellent restaurant!

Cheers, Rob.

Maybe minor edit to note, if this is being used as an information source

Nong Kai (Muang/City) is to the north of Udon Thani approximately 55km from Udon

Cheers G