Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Students do well on PE, fail the rest.

Students do well on PE, fail the rest.

I can't believe that Thai kids best subject was Physical Education....that's a turnup 555

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I can't believe that Thai kids best subject was Physical Education....that's a turnup 555
    I think that is very telling, if PE is the best subject, just how bad are the rest 555555

Like the old joke, there would be no need to invade Thailand, just disable the calculators and the place would grind to a halt.
    Steve@thaib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Like the old joke, there would be no need to invade Thailand, just disable the calculators and the place would grind to a halt.
    ha ha.. That look you get when you tell them the change they need to give you from a 1000b note..

Hey, and silly me was finally convinced the the Thai education level was among the best in the world......................and then this comes up 55555
    I'm back BTW :-)
    LivinLOS, soupdragon and Dkdude like this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    I'm back BTW :-)
    It helps if you tell people you are going before you tell them you are back......damn confusing

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    It helps if you tell people you are going before you tell them you are back......damn confusing
    I might even be back every day in a months time.........soon holiday time for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

It's all them bloody falang teachers!
    geir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    I might even be back every day in a months time.........soon holiday time for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

must be time to buy a new MB raincoat then...I can only hope...not a drop so far this year that I can remember

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    ha ha.. That look you get when you tell them the change they need to give you from a 1000b note..
    I think that's kinda harsh. Give that test to shop workers in the UK and tell them they can't use a till and I think you will get the same blank stare the majority of the time.

A long, long time ago...I went through a drive through Burger King in Inglewood, California (Inglewatts).

I ordered some sort of "meal" from the menu and the price was shown as $3.85, or something thereabouts.

When I got to the pick up window, a young female called out the meal selection as she passed the bag through the window, and said "That'll be $5.95". I asked her to check again, as the menu said the cost was $3.85?

She looked flustered and started pecking on the cash register keys, then said "OK, that'll be $5.55". Again, I said that amount was a good deal higher than the menu stated.

Just then, another female (a supervisor, apparently) stepped in and started chastising the first girl. And rudely pushing her out of the way, the supervisor started in punching the register keys. I sat in anticipation of what she'd come up with. 555

Finally she leaned out the window, repeated my food order and said "that'll be $2.35, sir".

SOLD!
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 28th March 2014 at 20:02.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    I think that's kinda harsh. Give that test to shop workers in the UK and tell them they can't use a till and I think you will get the same blank stare the majority of the time.
    No its not just a blank stare.. they look at you like your some kind of savant who can tell them what day of the week it is on feb 12 2036 !!

Really its like.. "thats 678 baht.. So 322 change" and its like you have just done voodoo..

Tuesday... There will also be a total lunar eclipse....

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    Tuesday... There will also be a total lunar eclipse....
    Thank you Google......

Perhaps slightly OT, but still fascinated by the stable high results of Finnish schools in the PISA tests. And kind of goes contrary to most conventional wisdom. Ok, they fell slightly from the 2009 score, but still the best non-Asian nation in 2012 overall. Perhaps different approaches are more successful for culturally different regions?

PISA 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why-are-finlands-schools-successful?

There are no mandated standardized tests in Finland, apart from one exam at the end of students’ senior year in high school. There are no rankings, no comparisons or competition between students, schools or regions. Finland’s schools are publicly funded. The people in the government agencies running them, from national officials to local authorities, are educators, not business people, military leaders or career politicians. Every school has the same national goals and draws from the same pool of university-trained educators. The result is that a Finnish child has a good shot at getting the same quality education no matter whether he or she lives in a rural village or a university town. The differences between weakest and strongest students are the smallest in the world, according to the most recent survey by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). “Equality is the most important word in Finnish education. All political parties on the right and left agree on this,” said Olli Luukkainen, president of Finland’s powerful teachers union.
    History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
    Evilbaz likes this.

But maybe most of these opinions are coming from guys who only hang out with uneducated Thais?
    I mean, if you walked into the projects in the Bronx/Detroit.....you are not finding that many scientists

I used to have the same belief but now being exposed to more educated Thais, they come off as pretty smart
    Hell, we had drinks with a Tg 2 weeks ago that is waiting to be accepted at MIT!

PS- I am not trying to Johnny One Up people by saying I hang out with smart Thais, it just happens Ao meets these Thais because they work at restaurant while going to English school here
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Don't think there is much opinion in this. It's the average of 414k students, almost half a million.

I wonder though, since there are so many 0.0 lows, how many of these were there and how much did this influence the average to the downside?

On the bright side, there is at least a 100 in Math and high 90's in many of the other courses ...
    HOLY CRAP
    i guess i was reading things wrong
    how the hell do they score so low?

the funny thing is that is all i hear about it is that my stepson has his tests coming up so they obviously prepare

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    But maybe most of these opinions are coming from guys who only hang out with uneducated Thais?
    I mean, if you walked into the projects in the Bronx/Detroit.....you are not finding that many scientists
    But its day to day Thais in all walks of life.. Hospitals, dentists, business, etc.. Not just bar life..

I swear you can REALLY see the Thai chinese difference, it stands out to me.

I used to have the same belief but now being exposed to more educated Thais, they come off as pretty smart
    Hell, we had drinks with a Tg 2 weeks ago that is waiting to be accepted at MIT!
    Said it before and nothing you will say is going to shake it.. But Thais living outside of Thailand, are the tiniest sliver of top tier percentile. In education, world view, etc etc..

As Unesco has designated Bangkok World Book Capital for 2013, Bangkok governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra hopes to encourage Thais to read more books, 10-15 a year against five books per annum according according to 2003 figures. Despite all the efforts by previous governments to increase national readership, Thai people still read very few books compared to those in other Asian countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea and Japan where people read around 40-60 titles a year.
    Its a developing country sure.. And you expect a certain cultural difference. But I remember in N Africa kids and young adults spending free time studying, mastering multiple languages, educating themselves to get ahead. Even in Cambodia which s far poorer there seems a sadness they had to leave school and I saw people who were living on absolute poverty level incomes, spending part of that income to go to night school. Thailand seems to have a mai pen rai, dont think too much, why you worry type of thing in how they perceive thinking and analyzing.

I am sure this is a flip side of the sanuk and party side of Thais we all love, the live for the moment and spontaneity etc.. But to deny that culturally theres something involved here is to not accept reality.
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    the funny thing is that is all i hear about it is that my stepson has his tests coming up so they obviously prepare
    Many educators say this is part of the problem tho.. Rote learning, testing, huge levels of homework without real instruction to 'understand' it. Lack of creative thinking and problem solving skills taught. Etc Etc.

I dont know, I dont have kids, but this is something I have heard so many times I have to factor it in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast