Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bangkok Questions

Bangkok Questions

I've been through Bangkok many times now. That said, I never say "I know the city", because I know I dont. That would be like someone living and working on Wall Street, saying they knew all about New York City. I know one small strip of Bangkok... that's it. Easy to forget just how huge this city is if ya never leave the microcosm of Sukhumvit.

Anyway, I landed after midnight last night and decided there was no point in paying the extra $$$ for a hotel near Sukhumvit at that hour, so I just got a 600 baht room near the airport. Surprisingly, right around the corner on Suvarnabhumi 4 road, there seems to be a few local style bars with working girls. I could be wrong on that one, but I've spent enough time in Thailand to know those kinds of bars and girls when I see it. Maybe someone who knows the area better can confirm or deny?

I also have a question regarding the basement taxi system at the airport. I know it costs 50 baht extra, but I am unsure where that money comes in to the process. As I am right around the corner from the airport, the taxi here only cost 65 baht last night. I thought I was being somewhat generous and gave the guy 120 baht... nearly double the fare. But he just looked at me kinda funny, didnt thank me, and drove off. That got me wondering... is the 50 baht added on his fare? As in, he has to pay 50 baht to take me? If so, then I can kinda see his disappointment with just a 5 baht tip.

Just wondering...

Yes, there are girly bars near the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    That got me wondering... is the 50 baht added on his fare? As in, he has to pay 50 baht to take me? If so, then I can kinda see his disappointment with just a 5 baht tip.
    Yep, Cheap Charlie. Maybe he was not disappointed by the tip alone, but that he had to leave the queue for a low fare instead of for a trip to the city.

Well, good to know about the tip thing. I am usually headed to Sukhumvit, and usually tip about 100 baht if they dont debate about using the meter or try some BS about it being broken or something.

That said, it was literally a 4 minute ride, so it's not like he wasnt going to be right back there in line again quickly. I'd guess just as much money can be made by multiple quick turn trips as long ones. There's a reason why the hardcore gals only do ST... more money that way.

As far as the bars near the airport... well, I'd kind of suspected there were some, but just never seen them. The room I was in was quite cheap and it would've been only a few minutes walk to hit those bars, but I'd been awake for about 30 straight hours because I didnt fly business. I am just too big of a guy to fit comfortably in economy class... whereas those lie-flat seats in business are chock-full-o-win.

I've now switched to Adelphi suites on soi 8. Gotta say, I like soi 11 much better. First off, this place is tough to get to because you come down Sukhumvit on the opposite side. So the initial drop off requires going on a 15-20 minute loop around (when there's traffic) just to get to it. Then once you're in there, whenever you go to the lower Suk and need to get back, you have to get dropped off on the other side and illegally cross on foot to the entrance of soi 8. There's multiple signs posted saying if you do this, it's a 200 baht fine and I could easily see some typical greedy cop here posting himself there and collecting money from all the people doing it. Hell, I didnt get here until noon yesterday and I still had to do the illegal crossing thing twice.

Then last night, we decided to come back to the room early and just watch tv. I'd bought a few Magners Ciders in Villa Market, so I called downstairs for some ice to be brought up. I was informed at that time that ice costs 100 baht. I couldnt friggin believe it. Really? I pay for a suite and you want to nickle and dime me for goddamn ice? The room is smaller than the suites in either Aspen Suites or Grand President. I couldnt get an early check in at noon, so I had to wait in the lobby for 2 hours. Not a good experience here at all and I definitely wont be giving this place a try ever again. Not worth it at all. Soi 11 is a much, much better soi to be on for several reason... closer to lower Suk, much more dining options, more stuff on the soi itself... so yeah, f*ck Adelphi Suites.

I always stay in Adelphi and I have had taxis turning right into Soi 8 coming from the opposite side.
    And if you have to cross Suk by feet, just walk up and dowm nanai station.
    Qs for eating, the food in Adelphi is not bad, there are a few other restaurants around but I take the skytrain to where I want to go.
    Executive suite is quite big and I have had a few times an early check in if possible. Last stay I had to wait a few hours but arriving at 7 you cannot expect them to have a free room. I still was in the room by 9.
    Only negative is small swimming pool and only 6 chairs around it.

Yeah, I quite liked my stay on Suk Soi 8 last trip, it was like a small oasis from the hustle and bustle of the Suk and had everything you needed, including some great little eateries. Fa & I both preferred it to our stay on Soi 11 late last year, I thought tho' the area had heaps of clubs, it really lacked big time in other departments.

Charging for ice, unless they thought you were looking for someone called ice. On the taxi thing as far as I know it's whatever is on the meter plus 50 baht airport charge.
    Last edited by dontpanic; 7th April 2014 at 15:05.

Here we go again. Next step is the corkage discussion.
    personally I never take drinks to my room, with the exception of drinking water. I am always on my Plimsol when going to my room. Plus I prefer drinking while observing other people and and the fun around me.
    Must say the staff is always friendly and helpfull to me, maybe also because I book directly to the hotel and I am a returning customer

Whichever way you look at it a hotel charging for ice is frigging tight.

I've never got anything free from room service in any hotel, anywhere.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    I got a free condom once. Had no change.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    you've been charged for ice before?
    i'd leave the hotel the next day if they charged me for ice!

Got charged a few days ago.. bucket of ice and had to pay..

Didnt really think anything of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

Didnt really think anything of it.
    must be a North American thing
    i'd never pay for ice

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    The ice is free but you have to rent the bucket

Yeah, in an American hotel, every floor would have an ice machine and every room would have a small bucket for getting your ice. I have asked for ice multiple times elsewhere as it's just cheaper to have a few beers in the room. Hell, the friggin 600 baht p/n place gave me free ice. I just thought it was ridiculous to pay for a suite somewhere, then they ask for 100 baht for ice. To me, I equate that with flying business class, then the airline asks you for $3 for the use of one of their blankets. I actually would've been fine with paying for the ice at the cheap-o airport place. Half expected it. Definitely didnt expect it in a supposedly nice hotel.

I stand by my experience and logic... no driver we had was willing to make an illegal turn at the mouth of soi 8. Hell, it's actually supposed to be illegal to u-turn at the big Asoke intersection. My first driver, who was all buddha'd up and had the no alcohol, no prostitues sticker in his car, wouldnt make the u-turn there. Had to go down and come back to the intersection. So over the course of 2 days, we probably made the illegal crossing on foot from soi 11 about 5 times. Always like taking your life in your hands to cross Sukhumvit, even at places that are designated as crossing areas... much more dangerous in illegal spots.

And no "early" check in allowed... I was there at noon and had to wait 2 hours.

Just combining the lack of things on the soi itself, the complication of getting there, the total shite of having to pay $3.50 for some ice, and the fact that you get more space for your money elsewhere, I'll def be giving Adelphi a pass in the future.
    slimbag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Yeah, in an American hotel, every floor would have an ice machine and every room would have a small bucket for getting your ice. I have asked for ice multiple times elsewhere as it's just cheaper to have a few beers in the room. Hell, the friggin 600 baht p/n place gave me free ice. I just thought it was ridiculous to pay for a suite somewhere, then they ask for 100 baht for ice. To me, I equate that with flying business class, then the airline asks you for $3 for the use of one of their blankets. I actually would've been fine with paying for the ice at the cheap-o airport place. Half expected it. Definitely didnt expect it in a supposedly nice hotel.

I stand by my experience and logic... no driver we had was willing to make an illegal turn at the mouth of soi 8. Hell, it's actually supposed to be illegal to u-turn at the big Asoke intersection. My first driver, who was all buddha'd up and had the no alcohol, no prostitues sticker in his car, wouldnt make the u-turn there. Had to go down and come back to the intersection. So over the course of 2 days, we probably made the illegal crossing on foot from soi 11 about 5 times. Always like taking your life in your hands to cross Sukhumvit, even at places that are designated as crossing areas... much more dangerous in illegal spots.

And no "early" check in allowed... I was there at noon and had to wait 2 hours.

Just combining the lack of things on the Soi itself, the complication of getting there, the total shite of having to pay $3.50 for some ice, and the fact that you get more space for your money elsewhere, I'll def be giving Adelphi a pass in the future.
    Its pretty standard in a lot of places to charge for ice. even in nightlife venues when you have bought a bottle u will get a free bucket and mixers, but if u use them up then your are paying quite hefty extra on top for more ice and mixers

I like Soi 8 further down as a place to live but as pointed out access to the soi isn't the best. Actually if you are coming from the airport then the taxi should know to come through Rama 9 and up through Asoke Soi 21 and then can do a right onto Suk and take you down to Soi 8. The alternative is to go Wireless road and round to Rama IV and then cut off to Asoke that way. All said its awkward and the traffic around Asoke can be a total nightmare

I guess the place you buy your takeaway beers can sell you a small bag of ice for under 10 baht.
    Put them all in a plastic bag then when you get back to the hotel they will be frosty.

Sorry Kev - this ain't Kansas 555!

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Its pretty standard in a lot of places to charge for ice. even in nightlife venues when you have bought a bottle u will get a free bucket and mixers, but if u use them up then your are paying quite hefty extra on top for more ice and mixers
    and i will be paying for ice in plenty of nightlife places when we are in LOS in a few days
    i just expect when you book a hotel, it comes with ice!! 555

Rotsa ruck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast