Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Complaining to Thai services

Complaining to Thai services

This is a wee bit of Thai bashing so Up2u may not like it 555

You ever notice if you have a complaint to a Thai service staff they just won't give an inch? Will never concede that you have a valid point?

We are staying in a 1bdrm apartment we rented through flipkey.com. A site I have used in 4 different countries. It is set up to basically be like staying in your home.
    Well we booked for 4 people, which is what is allowed and we are staying 4 days.
    They gave us 4 towels for 4 people.....so we had 1 towel each for 4 days.

I called to ask how we get more towels and was told since we are not staying a week we don't, we are expected after paying 100usd/nt, to use the same towel for 4 days! That is just downright retarded to me. I tried explaining nicely to the girl that it is not only gross by not hygienic and that I never had this issue in any other country I've rented in.

Of course she wouldnt give an inch so I had to resort to getting a bit hot tempered and sent an email saying we'd pay the extra money for more than 1 towel each. In the end they came and dripped off more for free but I feel it is the only way you get what you want from service in Thailand, to browbeat them.....a reasoned approach never seems to sway them

PS- before anyone says 1 towel for 4 days is fine, get fcuked....I am not paying 3k baht a night to keep reusing the same towel
    PadMC likes this.

Use the bum gun properly before your shower and the towel should be OK to re-use 555!
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Use the bum gun properly before your shower and the towel should be OK to re-use 555!
    Haha
    You know that I forgot all about the bum gun and was legit excited when I saw it in the bathroom the 1st night in LOS!!
    Exciting life that I lead 555

seems really cheap for a 3000 baht a night place.. it's not like doing some extra laundry would cost them a fortune

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    PS- before anyone says 1 towel for 4 days is fine, get fcuked....I am not paying 3k baht a night to keep reusing the same towel
    555 I agree. I like a fresh clean towel every day.

I use my towel at home until it starts to smell then get a clean one. I think my parents would go mad if i put a towel in the wash every single day after I had a shower. 555
    Waharoa likes this.

4 people in a one bed apartment! Maybe that had something to do with it

Marc you are probably interfering with an income stream for a staff member
    The boss probably pays for a laundry bill based on a clean towel per day per person.

The laundry charges for the per person per day but only cleans half or less.
    Gives a cutback to the staff member in charge of laundry

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    This is a wee bit of Thai bashing so Up2u may not like it 555

You ever notice if you have a complaint to a Thai service staff they just won't give an inch? Will never concede that you have a valid point?

We are staying in a 1bdrm apartment we rented through flipkey.com. A site I have used in 4 different countries. It is set up to basically be like staying in your home.
    Well we booked for 4 people, which is what is allowed and we are staying 4 days.
    They gave us 4 towels for 4 people.....so we had 1 towel each for 4 days.

I called to ask how we get more towels and was told since we are not staying a week we don't, we are expected after paying 100usd/nt, to use the same towel for 4 days! That is just downright retarded to me. I tried explaining nicely to the girl that it is not only gross by not hygienic and that I never had this issue in any other country I've rented in.

Of course she wouldnt give an inch so I had to resort to getting a bit hot tempered and sent an email saying we'd pay the extra money for more than 1 towel each. In the end they came and dripped off more for free but I feel it is the only way you get what you want from service in Thailand, to browbeat them.....a reasoned approach never seems to sway them

55 good story.

I've often been completely perplexed myself and its usually about small things like that.

I should tell a good one about me wanting a sheet changed in Lek Murphys. In the end there was a mini riot 5555. It's too long of a story to tell now and I'm laughing when I think of it 555

Quote Originally Posted by PadMC View Post
    I should tell a good one about me wanting a sheet changed in Lek Murphys. In the end there was a mini riot 5555. It's too long of a story to tell now and I'm laughing when I think of it 555

Awww come on...you can't throw this out there and then leave everyone hanging.

Might have thought that you're from England, 1 towel/4 days, plenty. 55
    slampay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    4 people in a one bed apartment! Maybe that had something to do with it
    3 adults and a child in a biggish 1bdrm with a sofa bed is set up for 4 people
    Sorry Prince Chris 555

In the end they gave me the towels so maybe they will rethink that policy because that was my point to the girl after the fact, that they shoukd rethink that policy.

I deal with complaints from my clients all the time...sometimes, a lot of times they are just being assholes. But when they are right I concede that and changes

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Marc you are probably interfering with an income stream for a staff member
    The boss probably pays for a laundry bill based on a clean towel per day per person.

The laundry charges for the per person per day but only cleans half or less.
    Gives a cutback to the staff member in charge of laundry
    It can be surprising how staff will take away from the customers experience by having a little earner. I took a job as resident dive instructor in a resort on Bali. This meant we were going out to the local small islands on a small open boat for 4-5 hours. The logistics, food water and equipment were all left up to the Balinese staff. The first trip out we were about to set off when I looked in the cooler and found only half a litre of water per person, I had asked for at least 2 litres per person. Thinking a mistake had been made I bought more water and went out. Well the same thing happen the following 2 trips so I spoke to the resort manager who checked and reported back to me that 3 litres per person was being checked out of stores. The staff were selling it.

Well the thing is, even though they gave us the towels in the end, we won't be back to this place
    Why would we deal with any potential hassle when there are many more that we wont have a hassle
    So they lost potential repeat customers over towels.
    We also had to pay for WiFi, which again has been free in every Flipkey rental I have stayed in

In my email I told them if they are going to use these "home rental" websites they will be judged by other rentals all around the world. So it is knowing what you are signing up for and not just throwing your rental on every site

Obviously some of you guys have never lived with water restrictions!

Were the Thais all demanding a fresh towel each day ? 555!
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

I think things are changing re customer service and after sales service.. We have expectations that a product is fit for intended use and limited return warranties and things.. Thai retail didnt have that in the 90s and into the early 00s.. I can also see how it wasnt purely the retailers fault because they had no return on the goods up the supply chain. This lead to a mindset of once its sold its the buyers problem, even with a sign up in the electronics shop under big C by the till stating "no returns for any reason whatsoever" in english !!

In turn this lead to a lower expectation from Thais to even ask for things to be right.. Combine that with lots of low end chinese made good being sold of limited quality and you have lots of stuff thats bought, breaks, and just discarded.. The whole "we send it back to bangkok" with a multi month wait when its an item you need simply being too much.. This is why you so often see Thais insisting on having a product tested in store, unpacking it all and plugging it all in, to test it even works.

So again I would say it comes down (especially with goods sold retail) one of those cross cultural miss understandings of expectation. I know my wife was blown away when I took an item back to a store in the UK for a totally minor fault, discovered after wearing and washing a couple of times. No receipt, no proof of purchase but the expecation is different and they immediately jumped on making it right with the customer.

If your here any length of time you accumulate a bunch of war stories.. I am sure Dodger remembers my BBQ story (mai mee wallanty.. import) and after being calm and smiling and trying everything in that home pro, I ended up exploding and roaring in there and (unusually, losing it is often counter productive here) the problem was solved 30 seconds later.. Or the time I bought a microwave from tesco and got it home to find it didnt work at all. Go back to tesco who tell me it had to be sent to bangkok to be repaired even tho I bought it one hour earlier.. Lots of back and forth but they were refusing to exchange so I just stomped off from customer service, went to the section selling them, picked up the display one on the shelf and walked out the store with it.. The 3 customer support staff just stood there with mouths agape but by this point I had paid for a microwave and I was taking a working microwave home with me.

It really does seem to be changing tho.. All of the home pro, tesco, major chain stores now seem much more willing to assist and cover the items they stock and sell. Buying from mom and pop operators you need to be a bit more careful still.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    This is why you so often see Thais insisting on having a product tested in store, unpacking it all and plugging it all in, to test it even works.
    You just helped the lightbulb come on in my head... I have bought a few things and had began to wonder why the hell they were unpacking it and doing all this crap when I had just paid and only wanted to leave. I bought a blender in Robinsons once and the poor lackeys were looking all over for somewhere to plug it in to assure me it worked. In my mind, I didnt care to waste the 20 minutes they spent pulling it all out and demonstrating it wasnt broken because if I got it home and it was broken or it didnt work, I'd just return it. Gotta admit, it never even crossed my mind that I might have any issues bringing it back. And for something like Robinsons I probably wouldnt... but at least now I know why they do all that... because their Thai customers probably want them to got through it all.

I always want to see electronic items work before I leave the store with them....even back in AUS I would make them do that....I would also check for small dints and dings at the same time...you'd be amazed how many small imperfections I found doing that

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast