Thread: British Airways mucking about with schedules

Thumbs up British Airways mucking about with schedules

For as long as I can remember, BA have a really convenient schedule between Heathrow and Bangkok on a Boeing 747.
    The flight leaves London around 10pm and get into Bangkok at 3pm. For me that meant i didn't loses a day's vacation getting to the airport, I could sleep most of the way, and get to the bars in Patong around 9pm. On the way back the flight leaves at Midnight, so no early morning check out of hotel, and got into Heathrow before breakfast, so I could recover on Sunday, before work on Monday.
    Later this year BA will start flying A380's to LAX & HKG, so they have revamped a lot of their long haul schedules. Firstly the LHR-BKK flight will be serviced by a 777, no more 747,s on that route; then the flight leaves Heathrow at 3.30pm to arrive in BKK around 10am the next day, but worse of all, the returning flight will leave BKK around 10am, which means flying up from HKT on the previous day.
    Looks like I will be flying EVA or TG in the future.

TG have the best flight times , Eva fly back at midday

EVA business class upgrading to award winning cabin with full flat beds from lhr in next few weeks

That's brilliant news !

Like EVA but am trying Finnair this year. Got a great deal in Business. Never tried a via before so will see how it goes.

Think full flat bed cabin is implemented 7 July. Im in uk right now, fly back on wed old configuration then back uk again on 14 Aug with new flat b3d configuration. No noticeable change in price

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    For as long as I can remember, BA have a really convenient schedule between Heathrow and Bangkok on a Boeing 747.
    The flight leaves London around 10pm and get into Bangkok at 3pm. For me that meant i didn't loses a day's vacation getting to the airport, I could sleep most of the way, and get to the bars in Patong around 9pm. On the way back the flight leaves at Midnight, so no early morning check out of hotel, and got into Heathrow before breakfast, so I could recover on Sunday, before work on Monday.
    Later this year BA will start flying A380's to LAX & HKG, so they have revamped a lot of their long haul schedules. Firstly the LHR-BKK flight will be serviced by a 777, no more 747,s on that route; then the flight leaves Heathrow at 3.30pm to arrive in BKK around 10am the next day, but worse of all, the returning flight will leave BKK around 10am, which means flying up from HKT on the previous day.
    Looks like I will be flying EVA or TG in the future.
    luke I have had a big moan at this at work,i have sent emails off as well.i think its appalling decision.especially putting a 777 on a rout that is always full and from a staff point hard to get on.they seem to think that a lot of people would rather pay more money to fly on a new a380 to hkg then get a nother flight to bkk just for the a380 experience.it aint going to happen.its disgraceful.the only good thing is the outbound flight,i would much rather leave at 3pm and get to bkk at 10am and get the whole day there.i feel like I lose a days holiday going out at present.
    steve

The A380 experience? Well that's going to be short lived. If I was going to route via HKG, it'd be CX all the way, but its an extra 4 or 5 hours of sitting on an airplane. Looking at Crimbo, i have already settled on TG.
    I was chatting to the cabin staff, flying out to BKK last time and they weren't happy at all. Looks like I will have to dust off my Star Alliance FF card.
    Flying back last time, there have been a few changes at Swampy Airport, with the split from Qantas - firstly there is no early check in - check in starts 3 hours before the flight, and there is no longer a separate First and Business lounge; Qantas have the old business class lounge, and BA the old First Lounge - I was warned it can get crowded in there, although it was OK the day I flew.

^ Eva are also part of the SA now, checkin is open 4 hours before at Heathrow and uses the AA lounge , not sure about Swampy they have always been open when I turn up 2 1/2 - 3 hours before , they also have their own lounge there, not that busy. As mentioned before I'm not a fan of their flight times , but with proper flat bed and prices , they are ahead of both BA and TG IMO
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I hope their lounge is better than the royal silk lounge Etihad use in bkk, lousy food, service and wifi, the best thing about it is u can pour your own size measures and the toilets are nice.

food was rubbish , but you are going to eat on the plane anyway , everything else was okay ,WiFi , seating , drinks , toilets

I can't remember the Etihad lounge at Swampy , but I enjoyed their facilities in London and Abu Dhabi , especially the massages
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Etihad use the Thai airways silk lounge as they don't have their own one, the one in Dublin is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    ^ Eva are also part of the SA now, checkin is open 4 hours before at Heathrow and uses the AA lounge , not sure about Swampy they have always been open when I turn up 2 1/2 - 3 hours before , they also have their own lounge there, not that busy. As mentioned before I'm not a fan of their flight times , but with proper flat bed and prices , they are ahead of both BA and TG IMO
    EVA don't use the AA lounge at Heathrow anymore. They are star alliance now so it's now the SAS lounge same as Thai Airways use. It's pretty poor IMO. At swampy EVA still have their own lounge which is ok. Thai Air Royal Silk lounges at Swampy are shockingly shit IMO

For a large airport the food court in BKK is very small with limited seating. I had a wander with the intention of eating something before I hit the lounge but I don't think I'd have gotten a seat.