Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geespot

Thread: Car Insurance- A good Thai rant

Car Insurance- A good Thai rant

I rented a Toyota Atlis from Hertz and took out the max inaurance.
    Well yesterday we Went to the outlets and as i was pulling in the security directed me to à spot. I thought for a second that it was too small but pulled in and totally swiped the back quarter panel and tire of à suped up Yaris.
    100% m'y fault.
    We called Bangkok Insurance and waited for the people that owned the Yarus to come out.
    The insurance agent was there in 45 mins, took à bunch if pictures and filled out all the forms.
    But the best service te provided was assuring the owners of the Yaris that they would pay because they started to ask for cash instead

So great job by Bangkok Insurance!!

I actually have found the Thai insurances to be fine.. In a way I think its a product of so little trust in anyone, that the insurances have to make deals there and then on the spot without any levels of bureaucracy and waiting and paperwork.

I got hit in a rental truck, but a 16 year old unlicensed kid driving a twin trailer articulated truck !! They then tried to switch people and claim the kid wasnt driving it.. All that shit.. Their own insurance guy, not mine, gave them a hard time, apologized to me to the point of over the top, and handled everything including assuring the rental company I took the truck from it was 100% not my fault, they would pay 100% and pay for any rental time the truck was off the rd.. In another case they just haggled a deal there on the spot, did it all in an estimate and handshake, so the whole thing was over in 20 mins.

Well i was well impresed, i will say that

One thing that was kind of bad about this little fender bender was the securityguard that directed me into the space told Ao that if the owners came back and they didnt notice the damage he wouldnt say anything to them. And i think Ao was on board with that but there is no way id do that. I would be so pissed if someone did that to me.

Is there any kind of service like this in any where country around the world?

I had a women crash into me last year, had photos of her skid marks down the road, she could of fitted through the gap but she just locked up and panicked and smashed right into the front of my car. If i had gone through the insurance company i would of risked the claim going 50/50 and it would of cost me more than the car was worth in the long run in insurance premiums. So I managed to get the women to pay out to me about 40% of what the car was worth for me to get it 'fixed' but in the end I just stripped the car for parts and bought a new one. But if an insurance guy had come out to the scene, i'm sure things would of been different.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    One thing that was kind of bad about this little fender bender was the securityguard that directed me into the space told Ao that if the owners came back and they didnt notice the damage he wouldnt say anything to them. And i think Ao was on board with that but there is no way id do that. I would be so pissed if someone did that to me.
    All credit to you Marc
    That's the decent thing to do in any culture.

I guess you were shopping for towels as well Paul? Aint life funny... the way one thing leads to another... 55

NOMIS... another sign you need to find a job in Thailand... so you can use Bangkok insurance... ;-)

Our experiences with Thai based insurance companies mirror yours M26.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

And we call Asians shitty drivers...
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

K2
    Insurance companies may be one thing .... and pretty good .... BUT .... the repair shop is another kettle of fish .... 8 months it took to rebuild my car .... Paul would have exploded for good I'm sure in exasperation at the appalling 'service'. I have to say this even plumbed deeper depths of my less than zero expectations .... lucky I had to go back to the UK or I might have got rather 'cross'. 55555
    Its My Life .....!

Just a couple of weeks ago, a dog ran out into the highway and collided with "her" car. (R.I.P dog, and she gave 500 baht to the dogs owner)

Damage to the front grill and bumper was estimated at 4500 baht, by the insurance guy. I suggested that rather than filing an insurance claim, we just pay for the repairs and save having a premium increase. Every time she's filed a claim, the annual premium has increased by a few thousand!

She's been pretty good the past couple of years and had no "accidents".

Took the car to the repair shop along with the insurance "estimate". The body shop guy said that it would take two weeks to do the repair.

We told him we were prepared to pay "cash" and offered him 4000 baht. He settled for 4200 and took the car in the next day, for 2 days to complete the work.

The front end looks as good as new now!

Go figure?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Took the car to the repair shop along with the insurance "estimate". The body shop guy said that it would take two weeks to do the repair.

We told him we were prepared to pay "cash" and offered him 4000 baht. He settled for 4200 and took the car in the next day, for 2 days to complete the work.

The front end looks as good as new now!

Go figure?
    I had à BMW 5 Séries that i put 100k miles on in 2 years when my mom was sick and i drove to Boston every weekend
    This lady ran a red light and totalled my Front end
    The shop said it would be like 5k because 80 hours of labour or something.....i asked if*he wanted to buy it and when i went by the next day it was miraculously all fixed...didnt take him 80 hours when on his dime!!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Insurance companies may be one thing .... and pretty good .... BUT .... the repair shop is another kettle of fish .... 8 months it took to rebuild my car .... Paul would have exploded for good I'm sure in exasperation at the appalling 'service'. I have to say this even plumbed deeper depths of my less than zero expectations .... lucky I had to go back to the UK or I might have got rather 'cross'. 55555
    Don't get me started 5555555555555, million baht Honda Civic flooded in LK Metropole Hotel car park, repaired under insurance; took 5 months and 300k baht paid by the insurance company. Needless to say any car flooded should be written off.............the stuff that has gone wrong since then is unreal (incl a 93,000 baht gearbox insurance would cover)

Pretty much mirrors, insurance company service is good albeit they would rather repair than write off / payout but standard of repair including dealers is bad
    K2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Don't get me started 5555555555555, million baht Honda Civic flooded in LK Metropole Hotel car park, repaired under insurance; took 5 months and 300k baht repair cost paid by the insurance company. Needless to say any car flooded should be written off.............the stuff that has gone wrong since then is unreal (incl a 93,000 baht gearbox insurance would not cover)

Pretty much mirrors, insurance company service is good albeit they would rather repair than write off / payout but standard of repair including dealers is bad
    Last edited by Geespot; 20th April 2014 at 20:33.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I had à BMW 5 Séries that i put 100k miles on in 2 years when my mom was sick and i drove to Boston every weekend
    This lady ran a red light and totalled my Front end
    The shop said it would be like 5k because 80 hours of labour or something.....i asked if*he wanted to buy it and when i went by the next day it was miraculously all fixed...didnt take him 80 hours when on his dime!!
    Yeah but everything can be done on the cheap. Or to do things properly. I have friends in the motor trade and the stuff that goes is sometimes crazy. Spraying second parts black to make them look new and charging full price. When its an insurance job they milk it for all they can. When my car was smashed up, It took me a few hours with some bars and jacks £30 for a new headlight and it was road legal again.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Its simply the economics of cheap labour and high value used cars.. Combined with near zero inspections and safety checks.

Add all that up and it means its almost always worth fixing.