Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Pattaya vs Patong, my thoughts.

Wink Pattaya vs Patong Nightlife, my thoughts.

Just thought I'd share my OPINION on comparing the two now I've finally been to Pattaya. I didn't even get to see everything I wanted to in Pattaya, but thanks to the suggestions in the other thread I did get to see some great places. I'm by no means an expert and I'm not preaching or trying to convert people, but I found the differences quite interesting.

First off if I had to summarise in one sentence it would be that Patong is like a family rated version of Pattaya. The gogos in Patong are tame compared to Pattaya, I couldn't believe how they could get away with some of the shit in places like Windmill and Sugarbabys (and neither could half the people in there judging by people's expressions). In general though, even the "normal" gogos offer more "entertainment" than anything in Patong, and I've had tons of fun in Patong gogos, just Pattaya was double the fun.

I was also blown away by just how many damn gogos there are! I thought Walking Street was going to be like Bangla - tons of bars on the front and gogos down the Sois, but in Pattaya its kinda the opposite - tons of gogos on the front and a fair few bars on the sides. It's basically gogo paradise! That's only Walking Street though - a short taxi ride in the other direction and you have LK Metro area with another bunch of gogos. Another taxi ride further and Soi 7 and 6 have tons of bars to choose from. The mototaxis also seemed much fairer priced than their brothers in Patong, and the baht buses are awesome for the cost (can be a bit slow though - bikes can dodge in and out of traffic).

That leads me to one of the downsides in my opinion - there's just too many damn bars 555. I guess the more time you spend there the more you prefer certain areas/bars, but its damn crazy the sheer amount of girls working these areas. It's harder to find a gem for sure, and I'm glad some bars were highlighted to me before I went otherwise you could find it pretty frustrating I think (you'd definitely need a good week or two to get your bearings and find bars you personally like). Exploring can be tons of fun of course, but I think a newbie would be a bit lost, whereas a seasoned mongerer would have a field day spoiled for choice.

Soi 6 was also not as seedy as I thought it would be, I actually liked the area and there were some really cute girls. Very fun area to spend the during the daytime.

At this point I'd honestly find it tough to go back to Patong after the fun I had in Pattaya. There are some great bars in Patong, and if anything I'd say I prefer that aspect of it - but on the gogo front Patong is just boring in comparison. Patong seems to be more entertainment based now, and there's nothing wrong with that - I'm sure it still appeals to a lot of people, but Pattaya is just way more wicked fun. I also think Patong is probably better suited for a GFE - it's compact layout means it can be hard to juggle girls around as they all friggin know each other.

I also found Pattaya cheaper, especially for LDs and draught beers. There wasn't so much "drink for my sister(s)?" in Pattaya, whereas that can get tiring in Patong at 200B LDs. Barfines were cheaper as well, but I guess with the sheer amount of girls working in Pattaya means that they don't really need to claim back that apparent cost of letting a girl leave the bar - there's a dozen more girls waiting!

I think I understand why people often mix their Thailand trips between Patong and Pattaya now and I may start doing that as well (I should have listened to everyone and gone to Pattaya sooner!).

Definitely looking forward to more time in Pattaya to see a lot of the stuff I didn't have time for.
    Last edited by NeedHoliday; 22nd April 2014 at 00:11.

This is the sort of thread title that used to get PI so lit up

I've always thought that comparing the two was apples and pears; they aren't the same animal.

Your 'downside' for me is a huge upside, I like the idea that there is pleanty of room in Pattaya. Patong is very 'Bangla centric' and there isn't a lot of getting away from it. Pattaya has lots more to explore if you want to get away from Walking street.

For me, the amount of testosterone finding it's way down Bangla and the number of young folk is the biggest of negatives. I'm aware that I've gotten older so 'young folk' is relative, but I've thought for my last few visits that Pattaya suited me better than Patong.

To me, Patong is changing and developing quite a lot still whereas Pattaya is what it is.

nice feedback there, also obviously depends if you're single or married/ relationship though, i'd guess.

Patong is more 'family' orientated these days, wheres patts caters for the butterfly almost exclusively.

We are actually considering coming to Pattaya, as a family, not sure if it's a good idea, but a few people suggest there is plenty of shopping for the wife and I wouldn't mind attacking some of the golf courses around town, will see what happens, or it's Samui or Hua Hin, probably give Phuket a miss this year.

I was always told, Patong is a pimple on a pumpkin compared to Pattaya, 5555

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    At this point I'd honestly find it tough to go back to Patong after the fun I had in Pattaya.
    Welcome to the club.

If I were on a mongering-oriented trip, I probably wouldnt even go to Phuket at all these days. Obviously you can find a cute gal in Phuket... even in the smaller places like Kamala or Kata or Karon... but like you said, in Pattaya you are just constantly spoiled for choice.

Prices for everything from hotels to food are also usually cheaper.

The one big downside to Pattaya in my opinion is there isnt much to do in the daytime, with the exception of soi 6 of course... 555... but as far as tourist type things to maybe take a TG to go do, Patts is fairly weak. In BKK, Phuket or even Chiang Mai you have tons of daytime options of things to go see/do/try. So to me, that's the real downside... just not a whole lot to do during the day aside from hit a massage or go to soi 6...

And yeah, as Steve said, this is the kind of thread that back in the PI days would definitely get the ol' keys heated... hahaa...

Probably fair to say that golf is more affordable around Pattaya, Phuket seems like a painfully expensive place for visiting golfers.

This is just my opinion and it will definitely come off as hypocritical and uppity but i felt like a loser when i went to Pattaya.
    I know that sounds foolish because i was doing the same thing in Phuket but i just couldnt justify with myself flying half way around the world to just completely monger. That is why Ive never been to AC in Phillipines either
    I guess i need a nice setting to sleep with hookers 555

If drinking, partying, P4P and flat out madness of it all.. Then patts wins hands down..

But what your missing in that is getting on a scooter, riding down through Karon and Kata, stopping for a beer or a massage, heading through nai harn to Promthep and rawai.. Having something grilled for you and eating on the beach.. And just being on an attractive island.

Yes Patts has a beach.. But its not in the same league. Also Phuket has the beach club scene, I know these exist out in jomtien, but I think Catch, Bimi, the swank nikki beach, etc etc etc all do this better..

Boozing, mongering, nightclubs and gogos, Patts has it (tho I guess nightclubs could be debated) island vibes, nice beaches and beach parties.. Phuket does.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 21st April 2014 at 19:36.
    Homer and Thin White Duke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    The one big downside to Pattaya in my opinion is there isnt much to do in the daytime, with the exception of soi 6 of course... 555...
    Aqua Daymie.. Or other darkside pool bars..

My last trip to Patts I didnt even go to walking street..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

Boozing, mongering, nightclubs and gogos, Patts has it (tho I guess nightclubs could be debated) island vibes, nice beaches and beach parties.. Phuket does.
    Yeah I should have specified this was purely a nightlife comparison

To me it is sort of summed up like this: if someone asks you where you are going and you answer 'Phuket', they will ask what you are going to do in Phuket. If you tell them 'Pattaya' when they ask where you are going, they just look at you and say 'oh'. 555555
    Dkdude, NeedHoliday and LivinLOS like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Thankfully they are different enough and they both exist....along with other options like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Bangkok, Hua Hin, Samui, Phangan, Chang, Krabi, Phi Phi, Samet, Lanta, Lipe and even Koh Phayam.....we are spoilt for options here.....vive la difference!..that's well worth celebrating
    Dkdude likes this.

I like the vastness of Patts. If u take a girl one night there's a good chance you will never see her again if you choose.
    In Patong you are likely to bump into the girl every night.

I was very pleasantly surprised on my recent visit to Patong, as nobody seemed to be bar fining the girls and I had the pick to myself 5555 some crackers there to.

However, for the sheer choice of nightlife Pattaya is where I choose to spend most of my time.
    Last edited by dan boy; 21st April 2014 at 19:57.
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Good summary, I also like the variety of Patts and it's the other things like variety of shops, markets, places to eat, bars and so many types of gogo's that appeal to me over Phuket which I found very limited and confined. There are nice beaches and quiet spots within easy reach of Pattaya central and it is definitely cheaper, I just booked Tim's hotel which is a very good 4 star for 42 euro a night. There are downsides but for me if you go with the right attitude it's a great place to visit and not just for mongering, I did very little on my last trip. If I just did the soi 6 thing than maybe I'd agree with Paulie but so many friendly places there along with some great hotels, shops and cinemas it's hard to go wrong in Pattaya.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Thankfully they are different enough and they both exist....along with other options like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Bangkok, Hua Hin, Samui, Phangan, Chang, Krabi, Phi Phi, Samet, Lanta, Lipe and even Koh Phayam.....we are spoilt for options here.....vive la difference!..that's well worth celebrating
    You are definitely right....There are so any different options for everyones tastes
    I certainly mongered plenty but i always liked other aspects but just because i dont like Patts because it is too much p4p for me, doesnt mean anyone is wrong to prefer it

My take: Patts for the GoGos...Patong for the bars, beach and (purchasability of) benzos.
    On balance I prefer Patong as I always end up getting bored with GoGos but not with bars. Also, the nightclubs in Patts are shite.

There is a helluva lot more to Phuket than Bangla or even Patong.
    For both mongering and scoot-pootling as has been mentioned.
    If you compare Phuket the Island to Pattaya and its precinct - Phuket is far more diverse for both tourist and expat, IMHO.

As always - horses for courses.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    This is just my opinion and it will definitely come off as hypocritical and uppity but i felt like a loser when i went to Pattaya.
    I know that sounds foolish because i was doing the same thing in Phuket but i just couldnt justify with myself flying half way around the world to just completely monger. That is why Ive never been to AC in Phillipines either
    I guess i need a nice setting to sleep with hookers 555
    That was kind of my thoughts on Patts as well. I went twice and it was OK for a couple of days but then I was ready to get the hell out of there. I did AC a few times...great fun and I would hit it hard for a few days and then go to Patong to relax.

Pattaya only 3 days max 4 for me in the past. Then that's enough. Been a few years since last time, but might include it in a trip this year. As has been mentioned, for me it would be purely for mongering. Don't doubt the region has more to offer, but always a blessing to return to Phuket...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast