Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TLandHim

Thread: The other side of paradise..

The other side of paradise..

Chiang Mai Citylife: The Other Side of Paradise A Look into the Culture of Isaan by Cody Gohl

To be honest I had read a few of these Cody pieces in CityLife and they had been cringeworthy.

But a fair amount of this rings pretty right.

Yeah the schooling/education of the kids I see in the outskirts of Nakhon Phanom is tragic, so many kids are incredibly clever, yet their teachers are dumb/lazy/uninterested.

Every week there's some excuse for a holiday or the kids are sent home before lunch for the day, great gig if you can get a teaching job there, you get more holidays than Santa!

From what I see in Issan, it's the same as everywhere else, the rich get richer and the poor don't…. ever.

After being back in Ao's village for the 1st time in years it basically my thought on the "village'
    I just think the village is a wasteland and just a bad place to be for kids. I just think there are so many bad influences, no intellectual stimulus
    Funny enough i had a decent time up there but it still didnt change my thought on the place.....i just think it is not a good place to live, especially for young kids

"Isaan is devoid of tourist"

To promote that area rich in culture would be admitting to Khmer or Lao Heritage. Very un Thai. Its a shame as there is so much to see just north of the Cambodian Border, but then on the other hand, if you want to see Angkor Wat with out tourist, just head to Phi Mai or Phnum Rung.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    After being back in Ao's village for the 1st time in years it basically my thought on the "village'
    I just think the village is a wasteland and just a bad place to be for kids. I just think there are so many bad influences, no intellectual stimulus
    Funny enough i had a decent time up there but it still didnt change my thought on the place.....i just think it is not a good place to live, especially for young kids
    Just got me thinking, we have some of the same problems in New Zealand and I wouldn't mind betting you have in Canada and I am certain I have seen it in the USA albeit I have only seen it through a short time tourist's eyes.

Towns like Murupara, Moerewa in NZ have the same social problems. Few teachers , doctors, policemen volunteer to work there, except for a few idealists they are the bottom of the skill pool. Very few employment prospects, in NZ generational welfare dependency, crime and gang problems, all the same problems as occurred in Dollie Parton's USA. In Isaan, with no welfare, the brighter, prettier kids are exported virtually as indentured labour to support the home village/farm. If they succeed they never return.
    The problem is in rural anywhere, not just Nakhom Nowhere.
    Waharoa and Evilbaz like this.