Thread: Fightland / Vice - Covers Patong Muay Thai

Fightland / Vice - Covers Patong Muay Thai

Muay Thai Street Team: The Billboard-Trucks of Patong | FIGHTLAND

It's Saturday night in Thailand, and I'm sitting on the roof of a moving billboard advertising tonight's fights. Around me sit a dozen Thai nak muay teenagers—some are young fighters at nearby Singpatong Gym, and others, in their matching company-issued neon-green t-shirts, are employed directly by the local Patong Stadium. We're crammed onto wooden benches built on the sides of the billboard-truck roof, cruising down the main drag of Patong, one of Thailand's tourist Meccas on the coast of Phuket. Some of the boys take turns kicking pads in pairs, but most are clowning around with each other or shouting at the vacationers walking below, parroting the words they hear being announced in non-native English over the truck's loudspeakers.

"Tonight! Tonight! Tonight! Muay Thai!" the speakers blare. "The world's most devastating martial art! At Patong Boxing Stadium on Sainamyen Road!"

That's a decent piece; worth a read.

As is almost all the fightland stuff..

Tho I cant help read "If I come back in my next life as a Singpatong kid, I'll feel pretty lucky" from a privileged western woman, while talking about teenage kids from the north east being paid near zero to promote a stadium a little rose tinted.

...there is that

The one in the middle needs a good kicking if he is going to go around publicly wearing that shirt!!!! 55555
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!