Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Pattaya June 2014

Yeah, now I just gotta hope I dont get a bunch of problems with immigration when I try to go...

Thats sounding like its waiting for August deadline also.. Or will be completely ignored. Officer discretion will be unworkable as a system IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Thats sounding like its waiting for August deadline also.. Or will be completely ignored. Officer discretion will be unworkable as a system IMO.
    Just heard; guy i know (English teacher) in Lop Buri went to immigration to get extension to his tourist visa. He got a real grilling asking where his money was coming from etc. They told him he wont be allowed anymore extensions on visas from that office.

He aint the brightest spark going to an immigration office in a mostly non tourist area to extend a tourist visa. He has been here about 2 years so he has plenty of tourist visas and entry stamps

interesting as the crackdown wasnt supposed to include any extensions, was only listed as being border / entry based.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    interesting as the crackdown wasnt supposed to include any extensions, was only listed as being border / entry based.
    Might be just a one off. Pretty obvious he wasn't a tourist

But suppose the key difference is previously it would possibly have been mai bpen rai and give the extension without giving it much thought

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    With 2 weeks to go I'm facing my first trip with a coup in progress and at the moment it's still go for takeoff. Department of foreign affairs are advising extreme caution but not an essential travel only or none at all, I've mailed the insurance company to see what the story is with that too. Taxi company are saying no problem for an airport pickup and things seem to be stable enough, the protests small enough and failing Suthep actually getting his hands on those million guns I can't see any problem getting there at the moment. Even a little extension of the curfew would be nice, till about midnight would even do me as this will be about 1am by the time everyone clears out. Not ideal but it does seem like that gogo's are just opening earlier to get the punters in.

Onwards and upwards.
    Good luck with the insurance. Martial law usually nulls that, but I am interested in what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Snideybowl View Post
    Good luck with the insurance. Martial law usually nulls that, but I am interested in what they say.
    Well they haven't come back to me yet but it does say " civil commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting to an uprising, military or usurped power but this exclusion shall not apply to losses under Section B – Emergency Medical and Other Expenses, Section C – Hospital Benefit and Section D – Personal Accident unless such losses are caused by nuclear, chemical or biological attack, or the disturbances were already taking place at the beginning of any trip"

As usual with insurance policies, clear as mud. The disturbances are already taking place so am I covered?

Strong indication curfew times changed from midnight to 4am starting tomorrow

^^Yep confirmed, really good news!

Got some clarity on the travel insurance, any incidents that occur that are not related to the coup will be covered as usual. Some more good news. Just need to try and avoid getting knocked down by a soldier or red/yellow shirt.

Decided to go Jomtien Beach tonight for dinner. I drove along the beach road at 8pm and stopped off at various points; never have I seen a place so quiet since my immediate post tsunami days.

Another week of horrendous international bad pr**s (d**erved) and who knows what will be left of the place

Not long to go now, all flights confirmed, credit card company given travel notice, dogs being dropped off to their holiday home tomorrow and all I have to do now is get to the airport in one piece and then get to Pattaya. Immensely looking forward to this trip with all of the curfew and coup goings on to complicate matters, 10 days and nights of fun as only Pattaya can provide. The day to day updates will go on this thread, one of my aims is to get a full up to date review of at least every gogo on LK Metro, will probably have to alternate beer with something a little less intoxicating given the sheer amount of gogo's there these days and I'll have to keep notes.

Very interested to see how full the flights will be, was picking my seats online earlier and the flights seemed extremely empty. Also looking forward to a short immigration queue with the flight scheduled for a 7am landing. Will the bars and gogo's be empty? Will beach road be full of freelancers? Will this affect prices? Will there still be loads of Russians and Indians there? As usual trips always throw up something unexpected as well as the planned stuff which as we all know rarely goes to plan.

An afternoon crawl around Soi LK is fun as well , a completely different set of staff to nighttime , I think they change around eight

have a good trip
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Best of luck... curfew's lifted, so all should be well... I'd expect it to not be busy still, so that may lead to you having more choice or perhaps even more power to bargain (if you were inclined to do so).

All checked in and sitting in the Dublin airport lounge which I had to pay20 euro for this time but its nice and quiet and a decent selection of self service buffet stuff. I had to laugh to myself when an indian family with luggage piled as high as they could get it were checking in ahead of me and was saying to myself I hope this is not an omen for things to come. Should be boarding in an hour or so and looking forwaed to a good movie selection onboard before its snooze time for the second leg.

Safe travels... looking forward to the TR.

A fairly full flight probably about 75% and nothing out of the ordinary except I really enjoyed the first two episodes of House of Cards and they have the entire first season available almost tempted not to pop a sleeping pill and watch a few more of them. Anyway the flight is delayed in abu dhabi by an hour so instead of boarding now I'm killing time in the middle east think I will go for a walk to stretch my megs again.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    All checked in and sitting in the Dublin airport lounge which I had to pay20 euro for this time but its nice and quiet and a decent selection of self service buffet stuff.
    You must really like airport lounges.

Enjoy your trip.

Depending on how long you have to wait, I would pay up for a lounge also.. Free wine / booze, so half of that cost gone in wine already, good wifi, some nibbles, quiet and usually no brats.. Some have a shower etc if your on long haul..

So arrived in one piece and no sign of any army activity bar a couple of empty trucks at a toll booth, airport was the quietest I have ever seen it but that could only be trumped by how quiet Pattaya is.it is positively a ghost town during the day anyway. Went for a walk and I felt like I was the onlytourist in town, lk has changed quite a bit over the past year and sems to have a few more daytime options than just Champagne. Looking forward go hitting a few gogos later to see how many people are out and about.

Yep I like the lounges once u get a taste for how the other half live its hard to go back toregular economy although I was lucky to have an empty seat beside me on both flights which I was happy with asI put a bit of effort intopicking strategic seats!
    Sitting in Nid bar in soi diana using the wifi as I didn't get the code in Tims. It is big nomd Noi's 35th birthday but shes barfined herself to go out with her friends, she gotgreat fun of telling some American guy that we have known each other for 3years but haven't boom boomed 555.
    Waharoa likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast