Thread: Negative Press ?

Negative Press ?

A story on the BBC website about missing kids in Thailand but it turns into an anti-Pattaya piece , I wonder what friends/family really think when you say you're going there on holiday ?

Jiji is listed as a "missing person", but if she is still alive it is possible that she has become one of the tens of thousands of South East Asian children trafficked each year.

If that is the case Pattaya is a likely destination. A sleazy tourist town on the Gulf of Thailand, it has become infamous as a sordid magnet for trafficked children and paedophiles.

Each night Malina Enland, from the faith-based charity XP Missions, walks Pattaya's grubby streets.

As sunburnt tourists ogle lady-boys, prostitutes and sex shows, she tries to locate vulnerable children who need her help.

Legally Ms Enland cannot step in to rescue the children herself, so she calls in social workers and the Thai police.
    "It's exploitation of poverty. That's what trafficking is," she said. "Human beings are being brought here to satisfy the demands of men, in particular men from the West."

"In the old days in Pattaya sex workers would be women but now they are girls and boys," Sudjai Nakpain, a social worker, said.
    BBC News - A Thai family's desperate search for their missing daughter

Quote Originally Posted by faultytowers View Post
    A story on the BBC website about missing kids in Thailand but it turns into an anti-Pattaya piece , I wonder what friends/family really think when you say you're going there on holiday ?

BBC News - A Thai family's desperate search for their missing daughter
    how does it turn into an anti-Pattaya piece?
    most of the long article does not mention Pattaya but what you posted
    and everything you just highlighted is true except possibly the last about the sex workers being girls and boys may be a bit of an exgerration. You also failed to highlight that they say that a lot of the trafficked kids are "street sellers" and that is 100% true

plus if you don't think some for of child prostitution goes on in one of the biggest sex-tourist places, you are being naive

There is a TV article that goes with this with the reporter in Walking Street reporting about kids going missing in ermmmm Thailand but the implication is clear that these kids must be in Pattaya

BBC have lost the plot big time these days on all fronts with tabloid sensationalist almost fictional reporting

"How does it turn into an anti-Pattaya piece"???

I don't see how it could be any more negative than that. I'm sure that there is, more than likely, some of this going on.
    However, I have to say that in all my years in Thailand, I have never seen or been offered any type of interaction with anyone underage. So I think that it is very much underground and not flaunted around.
    I don't know anyone or have I even heard of anyone, that comes to Thailand seeking this type of activity.

Why was she standing on walking street reporting it on BBC news 24. It's negative because it's clear what is being implied

I think kids missing is underground too it's not hard to see or find kids running about selling stuff but never see or have been offered something seedy. We all know this so again Wtf is she doing standing on walking street reporting it? Obvious innit!!

Agreed w/ Bill... never been asked, or even seen or heard others being asked, if there was a want/interest for an underage person in Thailand.

It happened to me in Phnom Penh last time I was there and it bothered the hell out of me. But never once in all my time in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Why was she standing on walking street reporting it on BBC news 24. It's negative because it's clear what is being implied
    Exactly. It's obvious she's saying the sex industry is where the kids are being forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Exactly. It's obvious she's saying the sex industry is where the kids are being forced to work.
    I think partly it's underground sex industry and other stuff such as forced labour and selling kids for adoption possibly..........but I don't think it has shit to do with walking st patts or any other main holiday destination area

BBC are fkin pathetic......lets see how they report on Mexico which is being aired today

I think kids missing is underground too it's not hard to see or find kids running about selling stuff but never see or have been offered something seedy. We all know this so again Wtf is she doing standing on walking street reporting it? Obvious innit!!
    she mentions trafficking and stresses kids selling stuff on the street as much as prostitution
    it kids selling stuff on the street are trafficked and it is abundant in Pattaya or any other RLD are in Thailand

we are part of the sex tourism industry( hard for some people to admit) and because we are, people get a little uncomfortable when it hits too close to home and will focus on anyone who takes a negative light towards it

i mean, the story is about a poor little girl who got abducted but no seems to give a shit about that little piece of the story( the main piece!)

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    but they are
    a huge % of those kids selling stuff or begging in RLD are trafficked, one way or the other
    wether as a whole family or at the extreme,kidnapped or sold

and by the way, girls being recruited by your friendly go-go and bar owner at 15-17yrs old, who turn a blind to it, is child prostitution
    as much as we don't like to think about it....again too close for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    we are part of the sex tourism industry( hard for some people to admit) and because we are, people get a little uncomfortable when it hits too close to home and will focus on anyone who takes a negative light towards it
    ( the main piece!)
    We may well be part of a 'sex tourism' industry but you, I and everyone else like us knows that 'sex tourism' ( I hate that phrase with a passion ) means transactions between consenting adults. Reporters come along looking for a headline and all of a sudden everyone who goes to Pattaya is portrayed as a nonce.

Most of the people who go to Pattaya are normal guys looking for some fun, why would they not get upset when reporters who have been there once paint them all as degenerate perverts involved in trafficking kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    We may well be part of a 'sex tourism' industry but you, I and everyone else like us knows that 'sex tourism' ( I hate that phrase with a passion ) means transactions between consenting adults. Reporters come along looking for a headline and all of a sudden everyone who goes to Pattaya is portrayed as a nonce.

Most of the people who go to Pattaya are normal guys looking for some fun, why would they not get upset when reporters who have been there once paint them all as degenerate perverts involved in trafficking kids?
    but how can you be upset when your chosen destination is a RLD?
    i think we sort of lose that right in a way
    i am not saying we deserve to be painted as paedos but we do choose to holiday and spend a lot of our time in a seedy area

she mentions trafficking and stresses kids selling stuff on the street as much as prostitution
    it kids selling stuff on the street are trafficked and it is abundant in Pattaya or any other RLD are in Thailand

i mean, the story is about a poor little girl who got abducted but no seems to give a shit about that little piece of the story( the main piece!)
    The point is why cant they find the kids they are referring to? The kids we see on the street are there either non traffic or from Cambo, they aren't hard to find, everyone knows it. The central story is supposed to be about a missing kid so WTF is she doing in Pattaya reporting on Walking Street? It's not about being uncomfortable it just shite reporting

but they are
    a huge % of those kids selling stuff or begging in RLD are trafficked, one way or the other
    wether as a whole family or at the extreme,kidnapped or sold

and by the way, girls being recruited by your friendly go-go and bar owner at 15-17yrs old, who turn a blind to it, is child prostitution
    as much as we don't like to think about it....again too close for comfort
    Agreed they are trafficed or sold but you can find them.............as you say the story is supposed to be about a family an their MISSING kid..............jeez you would find them in a few days if they had been trafficed to Pattaya and selling stuff on the street

Fkin sensationalist BBC, slight of hand oooooooo look at all the kids in Patts............yes but hardly missing are they, they are there for all to see day and night

Agreed they are trafficed or sold but you can find them.............as you say the story is supposed to be about a family an their MISSING kid..............jeez you would find them in a few days if they had been trafficed to Pattaya and selling stuff on the street

Fkin sensationalist BBC, slight of hand oooooooo look at all the kids in Patts............yes but hardly missing are they, they are there for all to see day and night
    so where are they supposed to go?
    Sathorn? Thong Lor?

so where are they supposed to go?
    Sathorn? Thong Lor?
    Well it might well be, as you must know Paul the sex industry in Thailand for Thai's is massively bigger than farang sex tourism, jeez P4P as we know it is a tiny % compared to the Thai version in every district and town in Thailand.................but hey WTF good would that do for sensational reporting, so lets just pop off to Pattaya where all the missing trafficed kids arent actually missing

Well it might well be, as you must know Paul the sex industry in Thailand for Thai's is massively bigger than farang sex tourism, jeez P4P as we know it is a tiny % compared to the Thai version in every district and town in Thailand.................but hey WTF good would that do for sensational reporting, so lets just pop off to Pattaya where all the missing trafficed kids arent actually missing
    i get your point G, and you make sense
    but we know by going to these places, this is the stuff that comes with it. we are not exactly going to cultural centres 555
    you can't really complain, is my view

i get your point G, and you make sense
    but we know by going to these places, this is the stuff that comes with it. we are not exactly going to cultural centres 555
    you can't really complain, is my view
    I'm complaining only about the BBC, It fkin pisses me off to see the BBC go down this line, that's tax payers (ME) money they are fucking with.......they are supposed to report with honesty, be impartial and have integrity. The mainstream tabloid press in the UK has this kind of shit all the time and I couldn't give a monkey nut about what they report

Sorry I never actually like agreeing with Graham (5555!!!), but in this instance he is exactly right. Remember a tv programme starts off with the script first, then goes to find the evidence or film some stuff to fit the script. There is child prostitution and trafficking in Thailand, they could have done some investigative journalism and found out where, how much etc, but they didn't, they did a little piece from Walking Street, why not go find the actual missing kid??? been a little bit better maybe??

The kids I've seen working here (none of which were in the sex industry, but selling flowers, food etc), are easy to find, easy to find out their background. The stories I've heard from girls abducted from their village and forced into the sex industry, were all forced into the Thai sex industry, so why not go there to make this story?? start with Bangkok and work your way out???
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Reporters, journalists, they are so misunderstood.
    If you got the chance to spend time and be paid for it in a place that everyone wants to holiday in, wouldn't you rush for the job?
    The Pattaya stories and others over the years are just beat ups.

Three or four days after the Tsunami, about the only foreigners left in Phuket were reporters and camera crews. They were reporting food shortages, water shortages and they were eating at the same restaurants and drinking at the same bars as we were. They milked the story for as long as they could as it was a junket. S

Sure didn't let the facts get in the way of a good story.