Thread: FIFA World Cup viewing in Thailand

FIFA World Cup viewing in Thailand

Have they sorted out which provider is screening the world cup in Thailand, if any? On my last visit, 3 weeks ago, nobody seemed to have a clue if it was UBC or whatever.

As far as I know they've got a carrier but seem to be charging the bars pretty high rates to show it.

K2
    This is what I Googled .....

How to watch this year's football World Cup in Thailand

Football fans in Bangkok now have some idea how and where they'll be able to watch all the matches of this year's Brazil football World Cup after RS Promotion announced they'll be showing all the games live via their RS Sunbox.

By Vasachol Quadri | Mar 18, 2014

Despite the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) declaring that the rights holder for the World Cup must broadcast all 64 matches on free TV, RS is presently ignoring the ruling at the risk of legal action.

The tournament is one of seven events that come under the NBTC's must-have regulation, meaning they must be shown on free-to-air TV, but RS is currently seeking a court ruling to have it overturned.

As things stand, mirroring the European Championships two years ago, subscribers to other satellite channels will have to stump up for a new box costing B1,590 if they want to watch all the games. Even if you do already own an RS satellite box, the company are still asking subscribers to pay an extra B299 for the World Cup package (available via call center 1781).

Thankfully, there is another option for those who don't want to part with some hard cash, as 22 matches, including the semi-finals and final, will be screened live on the free terrestial Channel 7. That includes 13 first round matches, two matches from the round of 16, four matches from quarter-finals, and the final three games.

Of course, the one major benefit of having the Sunbox option will be the chance to watch the reruns of games during the month-long tournament, which runs from June 12 until July 13. This might be no bad thing considering the time difference will see the majority of games kick off at either 11pm, 2am or 3am local time, which means some late nights in the pub await.

RS plans to sell its set-top box from April 1 via satellite retailers and 7-Eleven stores.
    Its My Life .....!

There was a post from a bar owner on another forum giving out about the costs of showing it, I must see can I source it.

Aussie bar on Bangla will have a lot of customers

30,000 baht for a bar to show the games, posted by two bar owners.
    One also posted 100,000 by hotels or guesthouses with a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Given that the majority of the games will be outwith opening hours for bars how will that work for them? Obviously tea money for the BIB but I cant see them letting bars in the likes of Bangla / Soi 4 etc remain open to 5/6AM.

A friend recommended the filmonTV app for my iPad the other day. It seems to work good with a decent net connection so I'll probably end up watching it on the BBC or ITV from the comfort of my own house.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    I think it was the owner of the Triangle bar in Pattaya that posted which I also think has rooms, hard to justify that in low season and with the bad local kickoff times.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
    Given that the majority of the games will be outwith opening hours for bars how will that work for them? Obviously tea money for the BIB but I cant see them letting bars in the likes of Bangla / Soi 4 etc remain open to 5/6AM.
    From what I have read it seems as if the authorities in Phuket are a little more firm concerning closing times that they are in Pattaya.
    Obviously no will pay anything if it is not allowed to remain open and serve customers.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    I think it was the owner of the Triangle bar in Pattaya that posted which I also think has rooms, hard to justify that in low season and with the bad local kickoff times.
    Yes, that was he who made the statement concerning 100,000 baht for hotels and guesthouses.