Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New driving license procedures

New driving license procedures

New Driving Licence Policies Announced by Department of Land Transport

CityNews - The Chiang Mai Department of Land Transport (DLT) announced A New Process for getting Driver licenses in Thailand, and Beginning on 1. st June in 2014, stricter rules Will be in Effect for those Wishing to obtain Driving licenses.

Mr. Charnchain Kelapaeng, Director of Chiang Mai DLT, told reporters that new drivers will have to go through 4 hours of intense lectures, and that those who wish to renew their 5-year licence will need to attend a one-hour class. Those who are getting their 5-year licence for the first time won't need to take this class.

Another important change is that the DLT will only issue 120 new licences in a day. New drivers who can't attend class on the same day will have to make appointments for one of the following days and come back to attend the class. The Current to improve processes, Chiang Mai The DLT has been working with Educational Institutions Who Will help provide Classess under The DLT's Standards Beginning on June 1. st .

"The new exam for new drivers will have 50 questions. Drivers need to score 90% or 45 questions right and above to pass. The old exam had 30 questions with a 75% passing grade (23 questions correct). The new exam has been updated to fit international driving standards for foreign drivers as well. The stricter policies are aimed to make drivers pay more attention during class and the written exam to reduce the number of traffic accidents. "Said Charnchai.
    The article fails to mention which class of testing a non Thai driver holding an IDP and home country license will need to do, the 'new driver' version or the '5 year renewal' version.

I know when I did my 5 year renewal a year or two back, they made me watch the 1 hour video back then.

K2
    I did mine last month ... same old crappy vdo on prehistoric PC ... that was it though ... no reaction/vision tests. Easy and painless.
    Its My Life .....!

That's on my to do list. Best get on with it. Can I show my driving instructors qualification and just sign on the dotted line rather than suffer the vids ? 55555

speaking of the 5 yr renewal...does anyone know how soon before the expiratioon you are allowed to go in to get your renewal?...i.e...mine will expire on my birthday in january 2015..so when is the earliest I can go and get it renewed?

K2
    It's better if you go just after it has expired - then you get nearly 6 years as the 5 year is actually 5 birthdays.

IIRC you can apply 3 months before expiry.
    Its My Life .....!

Thanks..and do you know what documents I need to bring....i currently have a 5 yr...to be renewed for another 5 yr...i also have my own yellow book tambian baan

Be careful tho.. I was always told if the 5 year expires, you then need to do the full one year test and license. I have not tested that obviously as I didnt want the risk.

The one year has to expire, and go past the full year, as its a sort of provisional license.. The 5 year shouldnt expire. Thats how it was explained to me.

Maybe what I will do is just go down there ahead of time and ask..just to be sure

Can everybody do this test and get a license? I have a O non immigrant visa and a Belgian and International driving license.

I believe if you have a non-imm visa you can...but I also think the required documents vary from first time applicants to those renewing after a year to those renewing after 5 yrs...I'm trying to find all that out myself

Yes you can.. You need to get a certificate of residence from immigration (or your embassy or consul) and a doctors pass from a local hospital or private practice, other than that its just simple stuff, forms and passport IIRC.

With the current IDP you should skip the driving part of the test and only be eye and reaction tests, if you get made to do the theory part of the test is pretty random (I have always read you shouldnt have to with an IDP, but I was made to.. It was very easy, you only needed to get 75% or so correct and the only ones I got wrong were questions that made no sense probably in garbled translations).

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    It was very easy, you only needed to get 75% or so correct and the only ones I got wrong were questions that made no sense probably in garbled translations).
    There is one question which you have to be aware of: A sign with a speed limit. I got that question three times in my first test, which was great because it was so easy. Only, the limit turned out to be a minimum speed. I haven't seen a sign like that anywhere else, and we certainly do not have them in Denmark. I flunked my first test because of that and some misunderstandings due to language problems. Went back the next day and passed.

I really cant remember what the questions where I found tough, but it was mangled translation.. Also they were multiple choice, and if you got them wrong you were allowed a second go, with the same question sheet.. So you know which you failed and you then had another go at a multiple choice answer..

When I first got my car and motor bike license here, I got it up in Mahasarakram near Khon Kaen..this was about 6 or so years ago...up there, I was not asked if I had a non imm visa as I was just here on a 60 day tourist visa....I didn't have to take a road or written test..as he accepted my American license as "good enough"....only had to take a color blind test and reaction test...Done deal!...my wife (girlfriend at that time)..showed her tambian baan book and "assured" them I was based out of her house

K2
    Be careful tho.. I was always told if the 5 year expires, you then need to do the full one year test and license. I have not tested that obviously as I didnt want the risk.

The one year has to expire, and go past the full year, as its a sort of provisional license.. The 5 year shouldnt expire. Thats how it was explained to me.
    As far as Chiang Mai is concerned - you were told wrong.

As stated above I renewed mine 2 days after my birthday, I believe you are allowed up to one month to renew the 5 year license after expiry.
    LivinLOS likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

OK.. Maybe that was old system, or maybe a miss understanding..

Yes
    Bangkok Post...200 new driver license applicants yesterday in CM.
    With the new test.
    90% fail rate.
    soupdragon likes this.

I read on one forum that the test centers were over flowing with people end of may desperately trying to get in under the older easy system.

people end of may desperately trying to get in under the older easy system.
    Geezus - if the old system is "easy" and the fail rate is 90%, why are they bothering !

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    Bangkok Post...200 new driver license applicants yesterday in CM.
    With the new test.
    90% fail rate.
    Wao who are those 10% and was there anything corrupt involved in passing? 5555555555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast