Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Decent wine in LOS

Decent wine in LOS

I'm not making an IFAWAS thread, but feel like we may need a thread for alcoholic drinks on this forum.
    I'm normally a beer drinker, but sometimes I like a glass of Red........
    In most bars around here they only serve Mount Clair (South African) which I don't fancy. (1050 Baht for 5 liter).
    Having a bar I was a bit sick of the Mount Clair, so I had a look in Tesco the other day. I ended up buying a 4 liter Peter Vella house wine(Californian) for 900 Baht.
    I prefer a bit fruity wine so this was perfect for me, and my Mrs loved it as well.
    So for anyone that's not into super dry wines giv this one a try. Also very good value for the money.

Please feel free to come with recommendations of any alcohol in all price levels........

Shit!! I spilled Red on my yellow shirt, LAUNDRY!!! 55555555
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

I recommend you don't drink any wine that comes in 4-5 litre bottles...........it is shit!!
    slimbag and kris-one like this.

With import taxes on wine inThailand being 300% don't expect to find a good one at a cheap price.

That's my point, luckily I'm not a big wine lover. Budget doesn't matter, but IMO it's silly to pay thousands of Baht for a 0,7 bottle when you can get decent/drinkable 4-5 liters for around 1000 Baht.
    My intention was not to make this a high end thread, just mainly about affordable stuff. Spending thousands a day on wine would fuck up most peoples budget.
    BTW, you can buy the same wine (Peter Vella) in 0,7 bottles as well.....around 600 Baht I think.....
    Last edited by geir; 30th May 2014 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    That's my point, luckily I'm not a big wine lover. Budget doesn't matter, but IMO it's silly to pay thousands of Baht for a 0,7 bottle when you can get decent/drinkable 4-5 liters for around 1000 Baht.
    My intention was not to make this a high end thread, just mainly about affordable stuff. Spending thousands a day on wine would fuck up most peoples budget.
    BTW, you can buy the same wine (Peter Vella) in 0,7 bottles as well.....around 600 Baht I think.....
    Agree. Not every day needs a 3x marked up bottle of wine. I like the boxes too just not much choice...

I got this one at Big C in Patong a while ago. Superb! Not seen it since though..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also had the Mount Clair. Drinkable, but not a big fan of them.

Mont Clair is not to my taste and the Peter Vella I was served at a restaurant was likely 'off', and I wouldn't chance buying again just to find out. Wine Connections have some good boxes that were out of stock in CNX due to the recent tax/labeling changes. \

I bought a 3L Chilean CAMINOS Cab/Sav/Merlot at Makro which was a tad exxy @ 1400Bt but of excellent quality, equal to bottled wine.

00u77p05su7l4_375x500.jpg

Beware of certain wines being promoted as Australian. They are bottled in Vietnam using Ozzie wine and have other fruit wine added to lower the taxable rate. I haven't tasted them myself. Many other cheap wines are being labeled simply as Red or White without a varietal name and the description will have the word 'fruit' in it... a sneakier way around the law, after all grapes are fruit.
    Cheers, Rob.

Yeah had the caminos pictured above and its ok..

There used to be an Italian box called la diavillo or diavilla or similar.. was around the 1400 for 3l mark and was pleasant.

Unsure if it was was the Peter Vella or not but I had a box of californian that I think was just called soft red and that was good value and enjoyable as an every day quaffing wine. Wouldnt say it was special but it was easy to drink, no sharpness or heavy tanins.. Good solid chugging wine

Not be be a snob, but Mont Claire really is quite poor.. I avoid it if I can.

One thing in cambo.. Cheap bottles of decent wine..

I recommend to not drink wine out of a box.555
    Ok.....i will stop

I feel your pain we have crazy expensive wine in Canada too
    We always buy the allowable 2 in the US to bring back

Sounds like Peter Vella Sef, it is smooth and it's added other fruit juices. I will buy different boxes every time now to find out what I prefer.
    Had a 2k bottle of French from Villa supermarket a while ago (don't remember the name), but it was a big disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I recommend you don't drink any wine that comes in 4-5 litre bottles...........it is shit!!
    Ok.....i will stop

I feel your pain we have crazy expensive wine in Canada too
    We always buy the allowable 2 in the US to bring back
    From Wine Spectator Magazine:

Box Wines Aren't So Soggy After All
    Reluctantly embracing the concept that not all good wines come from a bottle

Wine in a box never seemed like a great idea to me. Maybe itís a generational thing. I spent most of my adult life trying to forget the nasty jug wines I drank for fiscal reasons back in college.

Times change. Even though Iím the first in a crowd to champion a good value, I was a holdout until I started tasting the new generation of box wines in blind tastings for Wine Spectator. Some are damn tasty for the price, the sort of no-nonsense wines youíll find by the carafe at a neighborhood bistro in France.

Some names you can generally depend on in box wines are Black Box, Bota Box, Bandit, Boho and Wine Cube. They typically sell for about $20 to $25 for a 3-liter box, which is the equivalent of four 750ml bottles.

Still, thereís plenty of dreck dressed up in snazzy new boxes, so it pays to shop carefully, even at that price.

If youíre new to the concept, the wine isnít really in a box. Itís in a vacuum-sealed plastic bag inside a box and dispensed through a tap. The bag collapses as the wine is dispensed, preventing oxygen from getting inside and preserving the wine for several weeks. If youíre a casual drinker and enjoy a glass or two a night, itís just the thing.

One of my current favorites is Bota Box California Old Vine Zinfandel 2009, which sells for $19 for a 3-liter box. Itís loaded with juicy, friendly cherry and vanilla flavors. Itís a great little everyday red for new wine drinkers, and even veterans who arenít too snobby will enjoy a glass. I rated it 84 points, non-blind.

Bota is made by Delicato at its large facility in Californiaís Central Valley. The blend is 77 percent Zinfandel, mixed with hearty reds like Alicante Bouschet and Petite Sirah, all harvested from vineyards in the Central Valley. The wine never saw the inside of an oak barrelóat that price you canít get pickyóbut it was aged in stainless steel tanks lined with a 50-50 blend of American and French oak staves to add the impression of oak aging.

Have you tried any of the new-generation box wines? Do you have a recent discovery to share?

Another problem in the tropics is I have had so many bottles of wine that due to temps have gone bad. Ranging from fully soured and undrinkable to just being a bit off. Taking a soured bottle of wine back to a Thai shop is an uphill battle.

I have had less issues with the boxes on consistency.

Yeah, I even keep my Red in the fridge........fill up my glass and let it rest for a few minutes. Works out great.......I think even an opened box of Red can last up to 6-8 weeks in the fridge, White a little bit less. Storing open bottles is not an issue.....why store empty bottles 555

You see Paulie, the thing about boxed wine is that when you've finished them. you can take the bag out of the box, re-inflate it and use it as a pillow.
    Dkdude likes this.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Yeah, I even keep my Red in the fridge........fill up my glass and let it rest for a few minutes. Works out great.......I think even an opened box of Red can last up to 6-8 weeks in the fridge, White a little bit less. Storing open bottles is not an issue.....why store empty bottles 555
    Absolutely - room temperature is the temp of a draughty castle - not 36 C under a fan
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

I’m as unsophisticated as it gets when it comes to wine. Mind you, where I grew up you could get beaten up if you brought wine to a party, and the general distinction was between “brown” and “clear” liquor.

Trying to scale down the hard liquor stuff though, so just get the cheapest wine available (Mont Clair). Same with anything. Unsophisticated and non-pretentious palates save you money in the end. Just buying it for the buzz and the bang for the buck.
    Evilbaz likes this.

strange for me but since living here I have hardly any interest in wine.....this coming from a guy who used to collect and cellar fine wines most of my adult life

The heat does little for my palate....I can hardly be bothered with a glass of red anymore...it all tastes like gasoline fumes to me now

I prefer to drink champagne (including method champagnois) and rose these days...suits the food, the climate and my palate best here...I mostly buy from Wine Connection and pick up some nice roses from about 450-600 baht...and Tesco have a nice "Chandon" French/AUS "method" that sells for under 1k which is about the same as in AUS

Going to drink a Coppola Merlot tonight got in US for 270baht
    Would be 900-1200baht in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    I got this one at Big C in Patong a while ago. Superb! Not seen it since though..
    I'm anything but a wine snob, but that is exact crap we used to drink when I was 17 to get hammered! Talk about growing clown feet....
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast