Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By steve w

Thread: Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai

I was at a dinner party last night with about 12 Thais(dinner party sounds fancy, this wasnt!)

Anyways, someone brought up Chiang Mai and although none of them were from there.......It got unaminous praises by all.
    It was quite revealing how fond all of them were of the place and how highly Thais think of CM

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I was at a dinner party last night with about 12 Thais(dinner party sounds fancy, this wasnt!)

Anyways, someone brought up Chiang Mai and although none of them were from there.......It got unaminous praises by all.
    It was quite revealing how fond all of them were of the place and how highly Thais think of CM
    I'm in CM right now. Been here for a couple of days and heading back to bkk tonight but we've really enjoyed the time here.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    I'm in CM right now. Been here for a couple of days and heading back to bkk tonight but we've really enjoyed the time here.
    Should have said.. Could have met over a cold one or two..

I think what most people relate to in CM, including Thais, is the mix of the traditional (spiritual) and modern seemlessly side by side.....that and the fact that it is a large town that doesn't seem like a big city...it just seems to exist on a very "human level" to me

What i love a about CM is they have found the perfect combination of that demure welcomeness but they dont go over the top and let you just get on with your thing

Northern Thais.. Lanna Thais also have the benefit of being made in many ways the archetype for 'thainess' by Thai media, education, propaganda, programming etc.. Theres no reason why a pale, tall, willowy Chiang Mai native is any more Thai that a dark swarthy southern spice trader, or a sea gypsy, or a short legged issan type.. If you look at the Loy Kratong type clothing its that northern style, their historical TV and movies, same again.. When non urban Thailand is presented it tends to be the rivers, mountains, green rice fields, 'lanna thai' rooflines, all re-emphasizing this style as being a cultural touchstone of 'thainess'. So this gives them a kind of pride over it, in a country that constantly emphasizes how good it is to be Thai, they kind of carry the role model for that image.

Also it doesnt hurt that this region has been prosperous.. 3 rice crops to issans 2 each year has a big effect on the poorests earnings and you only need to go ride through the mae wang valley area, to see this dark rich soil with high rainfall and sunshine growing crops gangbusters (that falls short a lot once you go up into the mountains though, but even up there they have learnt to grow high value crops that like cool temps, now that the poppies have been cleared from the hills. Even the villages around here, as you go off the beaten track, contain good solid houses, its not unusual to see a nice maintained garden and space for just pleasure, little garbage around, and a large civil or government building for administration. Things seem to run that little bit better than villages in other areas (I have no idea of central government is generous with its budgeting or how or why this is).

On a personal level, I find northern Thais still happy to meet foreigners still not yet worn out our welcome which I kind of feel in some tourist economies where there might be some resentment for the reliance on western influx of money and behaviors. They seem pretty genuine and yet like Paulie says, they can leave you alone as they are not living directly from you as a source of income. I have near constant good interactions up here, joking, playful, slightly shy, but still keen to break through and say hello.

Its nice, it has a good climate, the area can be achingly beautiful as the seasons turn, it really does have a lot of appeals.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Should have said.. Could have met over a cold one or two..
    Would have loved that. I had no idea what was really on the agenda until we arrived in LOS. Wife planned the whole thing. Drives me a bit nuts because I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants when on vacation. She has everything planned to the damn minute.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    Would have loved that. I had no idea what was really on the agenda until we arrived in LOS. Wife planned the whole thing. Drives me a bit nuts because I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants when on vacation. She has everything planned to the damn minute.
    Ha
    You and I should double holiday date
    Drive them both batty! 555

My wife is so unsettled if she doesn't know what we are up to 4 days ahead of time!

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Ha
    You and I should double holiday date
    Drive them both batty! 555

My wife is so unsettled if she doesn't know what we are up to 4 days ahead of time!
    55 that would be fun. I just got back to the US last night, but my wife is staying another month because it's been so long since she's seen her family. Now that I'm gone and there's really no "agenda", it's thrown her for a bit of a loop.

i have not been up there for 14 years ,will visit,mob handed,from 2nd december,you have been warned 55555555
    LivinLOS likes this.