Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Udon

Udon

I have a good mate who is heading up to Udon to meet up with a wee lassie he has met online

He would like some recommendations on where to stay, what to do, bars, restaurants...ya know the drill

I haven't been there for about 8-9 years so I am not going to be much help...last time I was in town for a wedding and was picked up each morning and dropped off each night after midnight mao after a long day out in the sticks... I do seem to remember a large clocktower/roundabout? ....a small bunch of bars with what looked like BF'able women in them...and a couple of those large dance hall styled places

I have been told the Paradise Hotel in the centre of town is a decent place...anyone know it?...does it charge a joiner etc?..ideally he would like a swimming pool and a reasonable sized modern room...iirc Paradise rooms are about 1300 baht

so any good info for us in here would be much appreciated....I may just go along for the adventure...as I said..it's been a while

PS..also posted on TD

I stayed at The Pannarai Hotel Nels, dead centre, has a pool and quite a plush newish place, about 1500 a night IIrc....

The Soi with all the lady bars on is around 50 yards away....
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Thanks Dan....was also recommended the Pannarai....any idea if it is GF?

We generally stay at the Charoen:

charoenhoteludon.com charon hotel Booking Hotel

I think around 1200baht. Decent breakfast, decent little pool and a cracking location. It's a walk away from the mall for shopping and Starbucks ( decent coffee close by is key for me ) and a walk away from the only two bar strips around.

Will try and fish some pics and more info out; bit frazzled at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Thanks Dan....was also recommended the Pannarai....any idea if it is GF?

100% is, although my guest wasn't so friendly 55555
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Quote Originally Posted by dan boy View Post
    100% is, although my guest wasn't so friendly 55555
    ah yes...iirc she had a little lucky dip in your wallet....555

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    We generally stay at the Charoen:

charoenhoteludon.com charon hotel Booking Hotel

I think around 1200baht. Decent breakfast, decent little pool and a cracking location. It's a walk away from the mall for shopping and Starbucks ( decent coffee close by is key for me ) and a walk away from the only two bar strips around.

Will try and fish some pics and more info out; bit frazzled at the minute.
    cheers Satabe...some pics would be nice...no urgency though...this trip is still a couple of weeks away

hehe……. Your habits do take you to a lot of strange places Nels rumble in the jungel
    nelsonone likes this.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Panerai does it on location.. And overall is ok for price.. The superior rooms are on the quieter side, the cheapest rooms face out to day / night plaza and have bar noise but udon shuts earlier also. Its the default choice for first time visitor unless he wasnt to pretend he doesnt like girly bars.

Paradise hotel I slightly prefer, but only slightly.. And as a negative its a few 100m from the bars, where there panerai is right in them. I always have my bike or lately a girly who has a scoot..

Good clean functional rooms, but without a breakfast or pool can be found from @home in Udon just a few doors from the panerai and Irish Clock and maybe 600 baht per night. Budget travellers can get a clean functional room at Top mansion for IIRC 400b.

Theres 2 girly bar streets, the day night mentioned which is next to the panerai, and then down the rd and left to the train station is Nutty park, a strange dog leg street of bars.. Theres also a handful of bars on the street (samphanthanit) and a few short alleys off it heading north from the panerai but its all very low key. Theres old school 'lady houses' (brothels) in the alleys around adunlayadet (alley 3 and 7 if memory serves) but not farang style. Couple of soapys in hotels around the city which I havent had the energy to go check out.

Theres a tawan deang thai style dance club (cover band and DJ) where its bottle on the table style.. Theres a more farang centric after bar DJ big bar semi club mashup (small) called sisters bar just on the section of rd towards the train station and a amusing gay club we crashed called Mr Tongs a few doors down. (where Gee was saying it wasnt a gay bar, while 2 blokes started making out 3m away LOL).. Theres a late late club that goes on till dawn somewhere down by the train station but not checked it out yet.

Eating in udon.. Theres loads and loads of Thai options of course.. I tend to let them choose when eating Thai.. Moo Ga Ta and BBQ stuff the girls always like and the first section of UD plaza (I think thats its name) which is a section of outdoor market stalls and bars and eateries down near the railway line / station area.. The north section has a food court one side thats huge and those kind of airy beer garden bars with beer promo girls on the other with huge football screens.. Very friendly locals and smiles and grins at the strange farang hanging out here, tho perhaps some of those grins were as I had a very extrovert ladyboy with us who generally likes playing up for attention. All functional and fun but not what you would say is romantic, I havent gone anywhere in udon for 'posh thai' possibly as I am not hanging out with any

The southern end of this D2 thing has those shabusi / fuji / mall type chain restaurants. Also about midway on the plaza upstairs theres a surprisingly good steakhouse called wine society.. Had a bottle and steak and fries which while not worth raving about was a surprise in Udon, and been back a few times and its consistent, thats my go to for meat potato's and a few glasses of wine. Standard pub grub and bad Guiness can be found in the Irish Clock back on samphanthanit, not a huge fan but still..

As much as I hate it, the people I know there seem to always want to go hang out in central for daytime / lunch.. Standard mall fare and I find going to malls a dull way to waste time (ice rink on top, ok cinema, etc) there doesnt seem to be that much to do around udon in the day.. A couple of parks with lakes (and a giant inflatable duck ?!?!) where people go to jog, cycle, hang out pretending to exercise in the later afternoon evening.

thanks for that Sef...some nice coverage in there....don't think you and me are miles apart in what we like..

The first few trips I was either too hung over, or too intent on bedroom antics to really lack daytime activity, however having been 5 or so times this year, and sometimes for 3 days, it does present a bit of a drawback.. Like I say central seems to be where all the girls think is great, and yeah you have a bowling alley and cinema.. I also painfully suffered through the worlds worst hangover while being forced to endure (and paying for) a karaoke room with a barload of girls there, in another mood I could have handled it but I was not a well man that day and the seconds took hours until the time was up. Dante 8th circle !!

Its ok for a weekend or so.. And if there was something cool to hang out daytime would be even better.. But suffering burnout on it now. Want to go get the lie of the land around Surin, I hear theres fun to be had there and dont know it well.. These sort of 2nd tier Thai cities can be fun for the exploration factor.
    nelsonone likes this.

How's the air pollution in Udon these days? When I visited briefly in 2008, it was terrible. Reminded me of LA in the 70s; the air smelled like diesel fuel.

Seemed ok.. Went there during smog season.. Wasnt a drama.

Centara is well placed as well apparently; we are staying there this October and it comes well recommended.

I think of the two bar strips mentioned Nutty Park is the best one, a better choice of bars and a better location. Mr. Tongs is just round the corner as well, that's the 'cool' place where the girls seem to want to go.
    nelsonone likes this.

We always get a game of golf in during the day, there is a 9 hole course on an air force base ( Wing 23 ? ). It's pretty basic but cheap as chips and good fun if that's what floats yer boat.
    nelsonone likes this.

Centara is well placed as well apparently; we are staying there this October and it comes well recommended.

I think of the two bar strips mentioned Nutty Park is the best one, a better choice of bars and a better location. Mr. Tongs is just round the corner as well, that's the 'cool' place where the girls seem to want to go.
    Wow disagree with that concerning Nutty Park. IMO it's pretty rough in there and as far as I could see some low lives hanging about in the early hours in the morning. Udon deffo has it's unsavoury element of expats hiding out!!

At the end of the day the western nightlife you are pretty much a 10 minute walk from central plaza / day and night bar area to the train station, so you can pretty much experience everything and find something to your liking

Like any big Thai town / city, the place is awash with Thai nightlife such as beer gardens with live accustic bands (the latest in thing) serving the latest imported and Thai beers (e.g. Hogaarden & Leffe are pretty common these days) nightclubs with live bands and molarm and karaoke joints where u can get your end away

Just going back to the western bars, some of the BG's in these bars are some of the hardest core I've ever came across which was a huge surprise to me
    LivinLOS and nelsonone like this.

Iíve never stayed at Paradise hotel but Iíve stayed in quite a few similar hotels in Udon and was never asked to pay extra for a guest. That hotel is a bit further from the main bar/restaurant area than I would choose, but Iím lazy and sometimes I get lost easily.

The Pannarai hotel is in the best location, Soi Sampan, and has a pool. Itís walking distance from everything. Central Plaza is on the street behind it and that has plenty of restaurants, shops, cinema, banks, etc.

The Sportsbar, turn left out of Pannarai and itís on the right near the end of the street, is a great daytime bar with no girls (there's good food in here too, the chef worked in the UK for long time and will make what you want the way you want it).

Day & Night is a complex of beer bars (Scotsman, Sunny Bar, 7 Stars would be the better bars among them imo) on the same street and Nutty Park is another bar area nearby, but it's not great. Mr. Tongs and Sisters Bar/Models 59 are the only real farrang places to go after 1am but there are plenty of Thai clubs like Yellow Bird at the Charoen Hotel or the Hi Tech complex, which is a plaza of Thai bars and clubs.

If your friend is meeting a local girl Iím sure sheíll show him round but he wonít be lonely if that doesnít work out.
    Last edited by Jack; 25th June 2014 at 15:13.
    Steve@thaib and nelsonone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Wow disagree with that concerning Nutty Park. IMO it's pretty rough in there and as far as I could see some low lives hanging about in the early hours in the morning. Udon deffo has it's unsavoury element of expats hiding out!!

At the end of the day the western nightlife you are pretty much a 10 minute walk from central plaza / day and night bar area to the train station, so you can pretty much experience everything and find something to your liking
    Just saying it has been the better of the two whenever I've been, not saying it's good. I've met really nice girls in both places but there isn't much there for real mongers. Agree that there are some dodgy characters who seem to have made a life in Udon but you could say the same for Bangkok and Pattaya too. I've always felt safe walking around there late at night but that could well be simple drunken delusion

I like Udon personally, the pace of the place suits me and I can find most things that I want there, it's not everyone's idea of a good time though.
    nelsonone and retepg like this.

Just saying it has been the better of the two whenever I've been, not saying it's good. I've met really nice girls in both places but there isn't much there for real mongers. Agree that there are some dodgy characters who seem to have made a life in Udon but you could say the same for Bangkok and Pattaya too. I've always felt safe walking around there late at night but that could well be simple drunken delusion

I like Udon personally, the pace of the place suits me and I can find most things that I want there, it's not everyone's idea of a good time though.
    Actually Udon western nightlife scene is so small and packed into a small area; it's much easier to come across trouble with the undesirables and I know for sure there is quite a proportion of them hanging about. BKK and Patts is on a huge scale so the proportions are a lot smaller in terms of coming across unsavoury characters. Udon is a hiding hole for many guys who already had to leave Patts, BKK and other haunts!!!! Still plenty of decent westerners about Udon but tainted a bit by what i said before
    nelsonone likes this.

I thought Khon Kaen was where the bad 'uns went to lay low.

I've never had any problems with farrangs in Udon. If anything I've encountered fewer morons there than I find in places like Pattaya, BKK or USM. I'm fortunate to know some of the good people up there so perhaps that's how I avoid these unsavoury types you speak of.

The only warnings I would have for a stranger in town would be to watch out for your bill being padded in certain bars and to avoid a freelancer who hangs out near the ATM at the entrance to Day & Night sometimes, she looks fairly fit and usually wears a stylish hat. DON’T engage with her. I think she’s bi-polar or something but just be polite and walk on.

Also if you want transport look for Sam Lors with advertising on the side, they’re usually the smarter ones who will know the place you want to go(and most importantly won’t be drunk). 20-40 baht anywhere around the Train Station/Central Plaza area up to 60-80 baht later at night.
    nelsonone and LivinLOS like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast