Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By marc26

Thread: New Customs tax on your own clothes??

New Customs tax on your own clothes??

Customs enforcing duty-free limits on personal goods purchased overseas | Bangkok Post: news

So if you happen to have more than 10,000 baht's worth of clothes in your suitcase this is going to subject to taxation and fines?

Hasn't that always been there? Lots of people caught out buying flash watches and taking them home etc.

Is this not on arrival? Maybe I misread it but if you're wearing a real Rolex on arrival it can be taxed? Sounds crazy but TIT.

Pretty much every country has this policy
    Canada has a very strict limits policy because things are so much cheaper in US
    We are only allowed to bring in so much depending on how long you are out of the country
    They just increeased the biggest limit to 800cad.....which helps

As for watches being worn to LOS they would have to prove it was purchased on your trip and coming back with it

You are supposed to declare them to customs. I don't know anyone who ever has though.

That piece reads as though it is for people coming home, Thais, so may not affect us. It's the same coming back to the UK though, if you buy a Rolex in Dubai on your way out duty is payable when you get back, VAT as well.

Is this being applied to tourists as all the signs I have seen have been exclusively in Thai. ?

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post

As for watches being worn to LOS they would have to prove it was purchased on your trip and coming back with it
    Think it's the other way round. You would have to prove you bought it at home and brought it with you. That could be very awkward.

Had to laugh at this - Thai officials are so empowered 55555!

"If duty-payable goods are found undeclared in possession of a passenger who refuses to allow the goods to be seized, the case will go to court, he said."
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Had to laugh at this - Thai officials are so empowered 55555!

"If duty-payable goods are found undeclared in possession of a passenger who refuses to allow the goods to be seized, the case will go to court, he said."
    And this:

"Any undeclared items will be seized and the owners may have to pay up to four times the value plus the duty"

For a 5k plus watch that could be a whopping big bill. Wide open for a tea money gouge methinks...

Seems completely unenforceable, like 250 euro could be 2 pairs of jeans and a couple of t-shirts. Hell some people's suitcases could cost 250 euro.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Seems completely unenforceable, like 250 euro could be 2 pairs of jeans and a couple of t-shirts. Hell some people's suitcases could cost 250 euro.
    To be honest......It is more the threat that is the enforcement
    If they really follow through than the threat does most of the work

Although Canada is really strict they cant check everyone but knowing that they do makes us not buy and bring in US much.

But let's just say we dress very lightly if we are just going over the border for the day and lose the receipts and tags on the way back

It makes sense sort of for Thai's coming back, even though a lot of the stuff is cheaper in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    It makes sense sort of for Thai's coming back, even though a lot of the stuff is cheaper in Thailand.
    Cheap stuff is cheaper in Thailand.......not quality stuff
    And that is the whole point of this enforcement
    They want people buying their quality stuff in Thailand and paying those import/duty taxes
    soupdragon and LivinLOS like this.

well in typical Thai fashion...this new or old law is quite vaque and will sure to be interperted very inconsistently from one entry point to the next....Just like going through immigration...each officer will have his/her own understanding of what they can and cannot do and I'm sure someday in the near future we'll open the internet and read a story about some poor chap who got hit with import duty taxes on his dirty underwear

I got hit with a 400 bill for my personal laptop being delivered to Canada when I 1st moved there!!

Believe me......The Canadians are worse than any other country when it comes to this

I got hit with a 400 bill for my personal laptop being delivered to Canada when I 1st moved there!!

Believe me......The Canadians are worse than any other country when it comes to this
    You have tried posting anything through Thai inward..

My own item.. In thailand.. Sent out for warranty repair.. huge bill when it came back..

Returning from a scuba diving job on Bali I had bought too much stuff in Indonesia to carry everything so I couriered my scuba gear back to Thailand. When I went to collect it I got hit for 5000 baht import duty, I explained I had bought the gear in Thailand and was returning with it and even showed the receipts but had to pay before they would release it.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Returning from a scuba diving job on Bali I had bought too much stuff in Indonesia to carry everything so I couriered my scuba gear back to Thailand. When I went to collect it I got hit for 5000 baht import duty, I explained I had bought the gear in Thailand and was returning with it and even showed the receipts but had to pay before they would release it.
    That's crazy! I wonder when they will start doing the same for TG's... and I wonder if they will charge by the pound. Less will cost more?? 55
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    That's crazy! I wonder when they will start doing the same for TG's... and I wonder if they will charge by the pound. Less will cost more?? 55
    I'm suddenly glad for the she-wok's compact size...