Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hotel Booking Sites

Hotel Booking Sites

I normally use Booking.com , it's a great site , doesn't charge upfront and allows a free cancellation ...brilliant when you find Expedia a month later is offering the same hotel about 50% cheaper , so Booking.com now cancelled and booked up and paid with Expedia

Not sure how many hotels they have in their Sale , but Intimate by Tim in Pattaya is one they are offering a deal with , THB 2K per night instead of 3k and free WiFi

probably the easiest thing to use is use Trivago or another comparison site , but very happy I could switch when this deal came up
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I usually use Agoda or Asia rooms but I hate it when they put the taxes on at the end; drives me cuckoo.
    ken2013 likes this.

Most of the time I also use agoda.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Its also a revelation on mobiles..

Open app, search nearby, price check, you can even walk in and check the room (often I suspect a hotel gives worse rooms to discount bookings.. But if you have just viewed it they are compelled to give you the room they just showed you) and you can often talk them into price matching.. The cunning even show the pre taxes agoda price to get the price match.

Really great apps.. I have agoda / booking / laterooms and a couple of others.. 10 mins sat in a cafe in whatever part of town and it shortlists the location issues so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I usually use Agoda or Asia rooms but I hate it when they put the taxes on at the end; drives me cuckoo.

agree, you think you've a great deal till you check out

I find booking.com is cheapest about 70% of the time. You can use directrooms.com which compares all the different prices being asked

Never booked a hotel room, I always find something on arrival.

I tend to go direct to the hotel. They give good discounts if you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyy View Post
    I tend to go direct to the hotel. They give good discounts if you ask.
    I haven't yet found a hotel that will match Agoda. In fact, when I stayed in Kata the receptionist offered me a room rate that was more than Agoda were quoting. She said they could not match that so I used the hotel internet to book the hotel on Agoda; surreal.

I've also had the same experience with the Salathai in Patong. I have been staying with them for years and they still can't offer me the same rate as the booking sites. It's not logical but that is what happens.

I haven't yet found a hotel that will match Agoda. In fact, when I stayed in Kata the receptionist offered me a room rate that was more than Agoda were quoting. She said they could not match that so I used the hotel internet to book the hotel on Agoda; surreal.

I've also had the same experience with the Salathai in Patong. I have been staying with them for years and they still can't offer me the same rate as the booking sites. It's not logical but that is what happens.
    Had the same problem in Patong. They couldnt meet the price I was quoted on agoda. I like the point reward thingie nice on agoda. I use my points I gather on holidays to upgrade or lower the price on hotels overhere.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Will give it a try when I book later in year.

That is just poor management, I reminds me of when I was working in a hotel. One guy used to come in at night every now and then and get a room (he was muslim and had a gf noone should know about), and I would always give him a good rate as he came in at like 1 am. Then one time he came in a weekend that had a lot of conferences (and thus we were "fully booked"), and the system was programmed such that I couldn't even give him a good rate. In stead I dicounted the price of his stay, knowing that the last room would never be occupied. Next time I went to work, I got scolded real bad because the "average room rate" was not at maximum. Some douchebag manager didn't reach his goal so to hell with me trying to maximize profit...

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDK View Post
    That is just poor management, I reminds me of when I was working in a hotel. One guy used to come in at night every now and then and get a room (he was muslim and had a gf noone should know about), and I would always give him a good rate as he came in at like 1 am. Then one time he came in a weekend that had a lot of conferences (and thus we were "fully booked"), and the system was programmed such that I couldn't even give him a good rate. In stead I dicounted the price of his stay, knowing that the last room would never be occupied. Next time I went to work, I got scolded real bad because the "average room rate" was not at maximum. Some douchebag manager didn't reach his goal so to hell with me trying to maximize profit...
    i think some hotels have realized that they are sitting on an "already paid for" room by them and done a good job of trying to take advantage of getting any money they can out of it and thus given good deals on unusual bookings

sometimes i take the red eye to NYC and i like to catch a few hours of sleep til noon, then go to a couple meetings and out entertaining
    most hotels will either charge me a nominal fee to check in early or a lot will allow me to check in at that time if they have the room available

Priceline.com
    name your own price
    i have used this in US about 100 times and the prices can be amazing

i'd love to see the system behind it, seeing how the hotel accepts that price or not

I'm guilty of using Agoda most of the time... I tend to like the mapping feature, so I can see exactly where the hotel is and what's near it. Not sure if other sites have that feature worked out as well.

I wanted to extend my stay at a hotel a few years back and the price they quoted me at reception was more than the room rate on my original booking so I used the computer in the lobby to book and pay through Agoda right there in front of them. It was a bit surreal but I saved a couple of hundred baht!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wanted to extend my stay at a hotel a few years back and the price they quoted me at reception was more than the room rate on my original booking so I used the computer in the lobby to book and pay through Agoda right there in front of them. It was a bit surreal but I saved a couple of hundred baht!
    i usually email the hotel first to see what price they will offer , if it is more than the price I've found online I will give them an oppertunity to match the price , most seem unwilling or unable to do so , seems crazy as they have to pay commission to the booking site as well ..
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    i usually email the hotel first to see what price they will offer , if it is more than the price I've found online I will give them an oppertunity to match the price , most seem unwilling or unable to do so , seems crazy as they have to pay commission to the booking site as well ..
    We use Agoda, Asia Rooms, Booking.com, Home & Away. They all have differing basis of working, some make a charge per listing (most), some make a charge as a percentage of booking (agoda).

A Hotel will have a rack rate for their rooms, if you go in off the street this is the rate you are offered. On the booking sites they will have an agreed rate, often below rack rate, also often with a discount offered by the Hotel to the booking company. It is very common therefor to get a higher rate in the Reception, with no downward budge and to be able to book on line in front of them cheaper.

Agoda and Booking.com as part of the same group of companies, think its Agoda who owns Booking? but run independently, so offering different rates and deals.

They don't get the crapper rooms, very few have a block booking anymore, most have calenders you have to keep up to date. Some of this people have quoted on this thread is now out of date, it was their practise ages ago, but times move on. They are all fighting each other for Villas and Apartments at present, its their own big push, but we are benefiting!!!

There done Dodger's quick info post for users of internet accommodation sites!!!5555 kept reading the above posts and thinking should I go in and correct that bit of slightly incorrect info??, or give a reason for that bit??, but ignored it before, so tried to cover everything raised in all the posts in one thread, hope it helps??
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

I prefer Booking.com over Agoda....mainly because you don't pay them upfreont like Agoda....you pay the hotel on checkout and there is no cancellation fee if you drop out at the last minute...prices are usually the same.....only booking.com show the whole price upfront whereas Agoda you don't get taxes etc added until you get into the booking stage

like Ian I alaways email the hotel direct as well...the go with the better deal

I am surprised that so many people just use Agoda. If you check other websites as well, you will realise that they are often not the cheapest around. Apart from directrooms.com, are there any other comparison websites people use for the SE Asia region ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast