Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By soupdragon

Thread: New Routes Scheduled for Chiang Mai Airport

New Routes Scheduled for Chiang Mai Airport

New Routes Scheduled for Chiang Mai Airport
    Jul 25, 2014
    Society
    CityNews - Boutique carrier Bangkok Airways will turn Chiang Mai into its third airport hub, reports said this week.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.
    The airline plans to strengthen its coverage of Burma, and will launch new flights from Chiang Mai to Yangon, Mandalay, Udon Thani and Phuket, the Bangkok Post reported, citing insiders. Bangkok Airways’ other hubs are Suvarnabhumi and Koh Samui airports.

Meanwhile, Chiang Mai-based Kan Air is launching direct flights to Ubon Ratchathani and Hua Hin from August 15. It will use a Hawker Beechcraft Premier 1 private jet with six seats on those routes.
    K2 likes this.

3500 each way on Kan air CNX to Ubon.. But pretty slick for a 6 seater jet.

K2
    Hummmm .... temptations!
    Its My Life .....!

21K for in effect a private charter aircraft which would be above 'one mile high' for most of the flight
    Evilbaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    21K for in effect a private charter aircraft which would be above 'one mile high' for most of the flight

That "Premier 1" airplane is kind of a piece of shit, from my understanding.

I know that Beechcraft had a number of serious issues during the certification process, and subsequently a lot of troubles with the earliest models. Numerous service bulletins, re-do's, modifications, and so forth.

And they've had a number of hull losses (crashes) to go with it all. Probably safe enough, if operated properly...maintenance and flight crew. But that takes a lot of money for that type of aircraft.

Beechcraft discontinued manufacture of the thing, just a couple of years ago. From all that I've read about it, it seems that "Beech" would be happier if they'd never embarked on the program in the first place.

If this "Con Air" is using a Premier-1, as opposed to the newer and upgraded Premier-!A...that even bodes worse for the operation IMO.

That thing is going to burn over a hundred gallons of fuel per hour, and probably more on such a short route. At around $5 USD per gallon, you do the $$$ math. (My guess is probably just short of 1 hour flight time). At those fares, it doesn't leave much cash for maintenance, salaries, airport charges etc. (That is, even if they're always flying with six paying seats.)

But it's nice to see that Bangkok Air is expanding at CNX. 555

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    That thing is going to burn over a hundred gallons of fuel per hour, and probably more on such a short route. At around $5 USD per gallon, you do the $$$ math. (My guess is probably just short of 1 hour flight time). At those fares, it doesn't leave much cash for maintenance, salaries, airport charges etc. (That is, even if they're always flying with six paying seats.)
    No idea on burn rate between the 2 airplanes.. But Udon is an hour flight.. I expect Ubon to be 1:30 if its not a much faster plane.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    No idea on burn rate between the 2 airplanes.. But Udon is an hour flight.. I expect Ubon to be 1:30 if its not a much faster plane.
    They're both the same burn rate (same engines) and the flight to Ubon is over an hour, as you say.

Last I checked, jet fuel was around $5.50 USD per gallon in Thailand. At a burn rate of 100gph (low estimate, probably more like 110-120), that takes up all the revenue on a full plane. With nothing left for other costs.

Check out the Premier 1 estimated operating costs on this site:

http://www.bjtonline.com/sites/defau...ional_info.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Check out the Premier 1 estimated operating costs on this site:
    Is there going to be a test ??

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Is there going to be a test ??
    Nahhh. 555

Just saying that even if that fare is introductory, it doesn't seem a profitable venture even at twice the fare.

They're just expensive as hell to operate.

I don't like using anything that calls itself boutique, but I do like when the little screen opens and this starts...

^Any flight I've been on, that vid gets a lot of smiles and laughs. From the snazzy dancing to the obviously dubbed Thai guy explaining the safety rules, it's pretty fun. Beats the socks off the usual safety message on flights...