Thread: Mailing shopping items home?

New User

Mailing shopping items home?

Morning all,

So I'll be returning to Phuket for a 4th time next week and over the course of the last 10 years, I've noticed that the baggage rules have become more and more strict. I'll be flying with Singapore Airlines, which are still quite generous, allowing a piece of up to 30kg for checked luggage, but I'm afraid that after my diving equipment and some basic stuff, there won't be much room for any of the shopping I intended to do down there.

So my question to you guys: would it be a viable option to send the stuff home (Western Europe) via mail? Is it safe / cost efficient? If so, what would be the best way to go about this? Any other suggestions on the matter?

Thanks a lot!

A warning about Singapore Airlines.
    They use their subsidiary, Silk Air which they own to fly Singapore to Phuket.
    About 7 years ago, we had about 47kg of luggage flying back to NZ, well below Singapore's 64kg for 2 people

Despite Singapore Frequent Flyer Cards etc and all bookings done by Singapore Airlines, the very officious Silk Air manageress at Phuket airport, demanded $300 for the 7kg over what she said was the allowable 40kg. Very unsavoury behaviour and almost missed the plane over it. I dislike dishonesty and we have never flown Singapore since, about 14 round trips x 2 people.

Be very careful what you are doing, we had all the baggage allowances for the fares printed out and showed her but she would not budge, you fly, you pay me.
    Surprised and shocked at this behaviour being tolerated from what amounts to a Singapore Airlines employee. Shame because all their other staff were absolutely first class.

Be very careful

The Thai Post website shows prices and is reasonable to navigate around. I have friends who post to Australia. On the slow boat, but it does get there. There is also Track and Trace available. Prices are cheaper than excess baggage rates.

Thailandpost ไปรษณีย์ไทย บริการด้วยใจ เชื่อมไทย เชื่อมโลก

The post has been pretty efficient for me over the years; everything seems to get to it's destination so it is a decent option. We used DHL once and they were very good, they sent a box to the hotel and came back to pick it up. That was years ago though so no idea if they still do it or what the cost is.

One thing I would be wary of is sending branded goods. Expect every parcel to be opened and if you are sending copy shirts or DVDs they will get returned to you or seized. Put those in your luggage for preferance, and send your laundry in the post.

New User
    Thanks for the great advice! I'll be making good use of their postal services in this case .

As for Singapore Airlines ... I am indeed very surprised to hear this, seeing how they're considered one of the world's best airlines. But I suppose there isn't much you can do when they actually ask you to pay at the airport. If that were to happen, I'll just pay up, and rain down a shitstorm of epic proportions on them when I'm back home. Fingers crossed...

Cheers!

I've had good luck with these guys, but it's not cheap. Luggage Shipping, Golf Club Shipping, Ship Skis - Luggage Forwardฎ