Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By geir
  • 1 Post By nelsonone
  • 1 Post By NeedHoliday

Thread: Patong bars ordered to close at 2am

Patong bars ordered to close at 2am

Interesting:
    Police in Phuket's fun town to enforce 2am bar closing

Maybe in response to the mess on the Queen's birthday? Given it's low season and profits (if any) are already low, having to shut 2hrs+ earlier can't be good for bars. Sure it's "official" to close at 2am, but that hasn't been the case for ages has it? (last time was after martial law was relaxed?).

Police in Phuket's fun town to enforce 2am bar closing

PHUKET: A major row is brewing in Patong after the town’s police officers were ordered today (August 14) to clamp down on the nightlife industry by enforcing the official 2am closing time.

Tanyaluk SakootThursday 14 August 2014, 11:44AM

No pole dancing after 2am, please
    PHUKET NEWS EXCLUSIVE
    The order came from Patong’s police chief, Pol Col Jiraphat Pochanapan, possibly stung by strong public criticism from Patong’s nightlife business owners over a “request” that they close during HM the Queen’s Birthday (August 12).
    Col Jiraphat was not prepared to go into depth about the order. “It’s policy,” he told The Phuket News this morning.
    “It’s come down from above. I don’t want to damage Patong’s entertainment industry but I have to do this for security reasons. I can’t tell you any more than what is in the laws of Thailand.”
    One of his deputies, Pol Lt Col Suthichai Chaiyarat, confirmed the order had been given.
    “The Superintendent has given an order, which we must follow, that entertainment businesses must close at 2am. We will have inspection teams go to the [entertainment] areas [to enforce this]. Officers will ask them to close.
    “We have to apply the law strictly. Sometimes, we will have soldiers join our action, too.
    “I heard there was some misunderstanding between the entertainment business people and the Superintendent. If they are uncomfortable or unhappy, they can come to talk to us at Kathu Police Station.”
    A representative of the Patong Entertainment Association, who asked not to be named, told The Phuket News, “I just heard that we have to close our businesses [at 2am] on the command of the Superintendent. When he issued the command he was already in Surat Thani [at the police regional HQ].
    “It is unfair. This is a tourism area. We will hold a meeting with our members soon to discuss this issue.”
    The order ramps up a row between police and entertainment owners over a "request" from Col Jiraphat that entertainment businesses not serve alcohol on Tuesday, HM the Queen's Birthday.
    - See more at: Police in Phuket's fun town to enforce 2am bar closing

They have had 2am closings many times in the past. Usually, after a few days or a week, things went back to regular (late) closings. This time, however, may be different.
    Myself, I wouldn't mind if the 2am time was adhered to.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Back in the days we had to close at 2am, until I payed off the police and we could open for another 2 hours...........Luckily my neighbors didn't pay, so I got all the late night trade.
    K2 likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

In the early 90's everything was closed at 02 AM. Nobody complained.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Back in the days we had to close at 2am, until I payed off the police and we could open for another 2 hours...........Luckily my neighbors didn't pay, so I got all the late night trade.
    555...I can remember a group of us being in HBs early one morning when the turds rolled and started abusing people...yelling at us to get out now and harassing Joy...we waited outside and Joy came out and gave us our bins one by one....them wandered up to Didi'd to continue boozing....555
    geir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Yes, and everything started earlier. You could walk down the sois and they would be rockin' by 8-830. Now you hardly see any girls before 10:30.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

I used to love staying out until day break and beyond, but on reflection you then loose most of the following day. Spend more time in Kamala now and we simply go out earlier, end earlier got the next day to work or play. Then your sense mode kicks in and realises there's nothing that happens at silly o'clock that cannot happen earlier, just got to get things moving.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

In a sense you saw the same thing happening when the curfew was in place and when they shut early shortly after - people adapted and went out earlier, often saying the same thing, that they actually had time during the day to do stuff now.

I think I'd prefer to go out around 8pm instead of 10pm, since I usually eat around 7pm anyway.
    Dkdude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    A lot of bars were open later than that and the Saloon Bar up by the Expat was open until sunrise on my first trip
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I used to love staying out until day break and beyond, but on reflection you then loose most of the following day. Spend more time in Kamala now and we simply go out earlier, end earlier got the next day to work or play. Then your sense mode kicks in and realises there's nothing that happens at silly o'clock that cannot happen earlier, just got to get things moving.
    When I go on holiday now, I hardly ever am out past 12am-1am
    Still get a good buzz on, and do tons of great things during the day

See my post in the Mother's Day screwup thread..

The above has now been denied by other cops.. Who I guess don't have the same orders that they must follow..

Wax on.. Wax off.. Wax on.. Wax off..

As a side note.. I get the feeling there is a counter productive competition between the 3 main news sources.. Each trying to scoop the other, then each looking to refute or undermine the 'facts' of the other.. Hence creating confusion by emphasizing opposites in the same information.

Guess we'll find out tonight - let's see if there are any last minute "misunderstandings" in the "requests".

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    When I go on holiday now, I hardly ever am out past 12am-1am
    Still get a good buzz on, and do tons of great things during the day
    Yes , but we are mostly old farts on these forums , still many youngsters going to Patong to party , get up late , recover on the beach and start again
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Yes , but we are mostly old farts on these forums , still many youngsters going to Patong to party , get up late , recover on the beach and start again
    for sure
    was us many moons ago 555

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    A lot of bars were open later than that and the Saloon Bar up by the Expat was open until sunrise on my first trip
    I don't think it was a "lot" of bars. Generally, Bangla closed. Only gogo was Rock Hard, and there lights went on at 0150.
    Yes, a few were open after 2 near expat, don't remember if that gogo (Galaxy?) stayed open.

More back and forth:
    Phuket police chief stands by 2am closing enforcement

Phuket police chief stands by 2am closing enforcement

PHUKET: Contradicting a local report asserting that he denied ordering his officer to enforce the 2am closing laws for Patong bars and entertainment establishments, the town’s police chief, Col Jiraphat Pochanapan, told The Phuket News this morning, “I follow the law. I would not say anything other than the law.”

Tanyaluk SakootFriday 15 August 2014, 02:32PM

Col Jiraphat Pochanapan
    His deputy, Pol Lt Col Suthichai Chaiyarat, told The Phuket News, “I am still doing my job and following the law which [requires] restaurants [and bars] to start closing at 2 am. We are supporting this with safety zone action for security, too.”
    A representative of the Patong Entertainment Association told The Phuket News, “Last night, we had a meeting [about the 2am closure] but we did not reach a conclusion yet. We will have another meeting soon.”
    Kathu District Officer Sayan Chaichanawong also confirmed the 2am closing time was to be adhered to.
    He said this morning, “This is policy, which we have to follow. The entertainment [places] have to close on time. If they do not follow the policy, they will be fined.
    “Kathu District Office has a duty to inform police in the area about the policy, and who is responsible for acting on it.
    - See more at: Phuket police chief stands by 2am closing enforcement