Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stillearly
  • 1 Post By K2

Thread: Yee Ping (Loy Kratong) Festival - Chaing Mai

K2

Yee Ping (Loy Kratong) Festival - Chaing Mai

6+ years living in CM - this has eluded me and want to try and see it this year .... 2014 dates are

October 25th - the real Thai one

November 8th - the outrageously overpriced farang one

/ Yi Peng Lantern Festival in*Chiang Mai Thailand*... Cinematic Travel Video Bloggers

Tips And Information About The Yi Peng Festival In Chiang Mai

The release takes place behind the grounds of Mae Jo University, with it being a Buddhist celebration, you are required to wear suitable clothing with shoulders covered and legs modestly covered.
    There were many food stalls set out along the approach to the field and lots of people selling lanterns. We bought ours on the way in, not realizing that we wouldn’t be permitted to take them into the actual grounds. So don’t buy the lanterns from the vendors outside.

They took our lanterns from us as we got to the main entrance and we had to re buy them at the stalls inside the university. Lanterns inside the grounds were priced at 100B each, but were much larger than the ones outside and in the shops around Chiang Mai.
    Entrance to the festival is free and the main chanting started around 6pm. We got there an hour early and staff showed us to a free space in the thick of the action. The field was already packed so it’s worth arriving even earlier to get a good space. Some people arrive at 2pm to watch the setup.
    When the festival is over, the human traffic and vehicle build up leaving the area is absolute madness. So it is recommended to hang around until the majority of the crowds have left. The bonus point of doing this is that you get to see the monks themselves releasing their own lanterns in small groups. And then when the coast is clear you can leave without being crushed.
    There is a FB in Thai here

https://www.facebook.com/LANNADHUTANKA
    Its My Life .....!

I went last year to Mae Jo , it's well worth it , the spectacle as all the lanterns were released was amazing

Fast fwd to 2.40

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiW1QetJ59Q
    K2 likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I went to it at the gate on year... crowded, lots of lanters, some interesting photo ops, tons of hawkers preying on the tourists... meh, not too bad and probably should be done once, but yeah, probably corrupted and commercialized far beyond it's traditional meaning.

Luckily that never happens in the west...

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I went to it at the gate on year... crowded, lots of lanters, some interesting photo ops, tons of hawkers preying on the tourists... meh, not too bad and probably should be done once, but yeah, probably corrupted and commercialized far beyond it's traditional meaning.

Luckily that never happens in the west...
    The yee peng thing is outside the city tho.. More intense set of khom fais than the city celebration..

Ahhhh, where is that then?

Mae Joe.. Out in a area just past and behind the uni..

K2
    Awesome .... very much worth seeing once in a lifetime!
    Stillearly likes this.
    Its My Life .....!