Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Yearly renewal MC plates/insurance

Yearly renewal MC plates/insurance

It's my yearly renewal, and I can't remember what I need. The green book and my passport? Anything else?

The year expired Saturday, Will I risk any problems when I go to the office tomorrow?

You only need the Greenbook. No problems being late, even if its a few years, you just have to pay it all. When you get to Motor Registration, get the insurance first. There are 2 companies with desks inside the Main Office. Thats 300Bt. Then you are allowed to get a queue number. Sticker (which you need to buy the sticky bit for) is 101Bt. The girl likes it if you have the one baht.

Takes about 20mins if its not too busy.

Tax and insurance renewal? Green book is all you need. Does not matter if its expired (unless its years over). They will just date the new sticker/receipt back to expiry date +1 year.

EDIT: Answered already..
    I will add that theres fixers for this in patong. If youre lazy like me and dont want to go over to phuket town and que up.
    Cant remember exactly what i pay them, but its not much.
    Last edited by MajorTom; 12th October 2014 at 22:46.

When you drive around you often see garages with a sign up with a big blue background and a yellow gear / cog..

Those are 'testing stations' and can do all this for you usually for 100b or so.. My local one even comes to my house.

Thanks! I am doing it in Pattaya where I also did it last year. Makes me sound as a frequent visitor to Pattaya. 555

Last year I tried to use a Honda shop to do the work, but I was here such a short time, they couldn't do it in time. Instead they helped me find the place to go. As far as I remember, I was only at one office last year. Quite easy and took only 2 minutes to handle over the papers and to get them again the next day.

Yeah its simple.. Big bikes can attract a bit of an extra look (emissions check, noise of exhaust) and as my bikes are all modified I like to use the yellow cog shops to stay out of sight and out of mind.

With them its leave your book and come back next day for it.

You can usually find a local fixer that will do everything for you for 200 Bht plus the cost of the insurance premium.
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

I know, but since I am here, and I know the place to go, it is just as easy to do it myself, and cheaper too. If I were in Patong, I would happily use a local fixer to avoid going to Phuket Town.

On this point is it at 3 years old that bikes need to tested, mines due next month and will be that old.

P.S. the sign of tax/testing stations looks like this....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LivinLOS likes this.

Two years old.

The bill:
    Tax: 100 baht
    Insurance: 360 baht
    Service: 80 baht
    Total: 540 baht.

I don't recall paying a service fee last time.

I'll get the GPS coordinates tomorrow and post them here in case anyone in the future needs to find the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Two years old.

The bill:
    Tax: 100 baht
    Insurance: 360 baht
    Service: 80 baht
    Total: 540 baht.

I don't recall paying a service fee last time.
    I thought service fees were for someone else doing it, and or having to take the test on >3 year machines.

Tax is 107 IIRC..

What are they testing, when it is older than 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    What are they testing, when it is older than 3 years?
    Supposed to be lights, brakes, emissions, noise, IIRC suspension also on cars.. One station in Phuket surprised me by doing the lot.

Many back street places dont even look at it, just fill out the pass form and collect 100b.

Yes the one in Phuket Town is very thorough, I initially thought when comparing it to an MOT test in the Uk for my car, how little they did check, but then on reflection I thought, brakes, emissions, suspension, lights etc, not much else really needed, we don't get much rusting bodywork here. However, saying all that, I've been a few times and never seen anyone fail????
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Supposed to be lights, brakes, emissions, noise, IIRC suspension also on cars.. One station in Phuket surprised me by doing the lot.

Many back street places dont even look at it, just fill out the pass form and collect 100b.
    All they was take a rubbing of the chassis number on the Vigo last time In Thalang, you should have seen the state of some of the vehicle going through there, scary.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    All they was take a rubbing of the chassis number on the Vigo last time In Thalang, you should have seen the state of some of the vehicle going through there, scary.
    Was it under 5 years old at the time? only ask as they only did that for mine until it got, i think over 5 years, and that was when it was at the same site as the licencing place. When they moved it further towards the Suzuki garage it git a whole lot more serious then, just wondered if it was an age related thing?.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Was it under 5 years old at the time? only ask as they only did that for mine until it got, i think over 5 years, and that was when it was at the same site as the licencing place. When they moved it further towards the Suzuki garage it git a whole lot more serious then, just wondered if it was an age related thing?.
    I was thinking the same.. Or maybe its 3 years on bikes and 5 years on cars ??

iirc its OK for 3 years on bikes...so its the 4th year where you need to show engine # rubbings etc

The truck was tested for the first time last year when it was seven years old, at that time they did the rolling road brake test and emissions. This year at the same testing station only the chassis number check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast