Thread: NYE Bangkok

NYE Bangkok

Ao wants to do a buffet either NYE or New Years Day at one of the nicer hotels with just her and her son

Neither of us have ever been in Bangkok on NYE

Is it hectic? Would be getting taxis an issue?

Thanks

You in town for Xmas? We'll be at the Ibis 25 thru 29.
    Cheers, Rob.

You will get a taxi okay as long as its away from Siam where most people congregate

Might be worth considering staying in the hotel you want to have the buffet in

I was in Bangkok last year. This year I am arriving December 31th in Suvarnabhumi, and plan to go directly to Phuket.

I read that the main place to be is in front of Central World, so I took the skytrain to Chit Lom. After 30 minutes, I was at the corner and could actually see Central World. After another 5 minutes of going absolutely nowhere, I gave up.

If you want to go there, be sure to be there in extremely good time. I think I was there at 10, thinking that would be early.

Don't forget most Thai hotels will charge you for a new years eve banquet even if you don't attend. I'd imagine it's pretty hectic, could be worth checking if the Skytrain runs after midnight on the night itself as traffic will surely be more manic than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    You will get a taxi okay as long as its away from Siam where most people congregate

Might be worth considering staying in the hotel you want to have the buffet in
    That is what I suggested to her but her mom will be in Isaan with brother's in-laws so she has her mom's dog to care for

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    You in town for Xmas? We'll be at the Ibis 25 thru 29.
    No.....I am just asking for Ao
    I am glad you took my advice on Ibis Riverside......you wont regret it

I might shoot to Thailand for a quick 8 days in middle of January and one of the things swaying me is just spending 3 days at that Ibis and the area relaxing

Sorry for confusion, I won't be there
    It would be just my wife and stepson and she hates crowds so she wouldn't do any of the events
    Was just wondering about the traffic and logistics really

Thanks

I was thinking about staying closer to the river next time in Bangkok and that Ibis looks pretty reasonably priced, just thought access to the nightlife wouldn't be as good as Staying around Sukhumvit.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    I was thinking about staying closer to the river next time in Bangkok and that Ibis looks pretty reasonably priced, just thought access to the nightlife wouldn't be as good as Staying around Sukhumvit.
    There isn't the same kind of nightlife at a guess you might be looking for, albeit if you are around the river you are striking distance at Silom which has plenty bars including Patpong

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    It was fantastic!
    And you can get to Suk for 250-300baht or the BTS in 20mins. I am a public transport snob and even I thought the BTS was very easy

My favorite area I ever stayed in BKK and the pool area of Ibis is awesome