Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Is it quiet where you stay??

Is it quiet where you stay??

We've been open for about 3 weeks now on Koh Phayam and the weather have been pretty good.
    Anyhow the lack of tourists is amazing, but Thais doesn't seem to worry. It's a building boom and land prices have more than doubled in a year or so. I'm telling people to take it easy as we're not going to get a busy season............but they totally ignore it. "farang will come, No problem".
    We'll be ok as we have many regulars, but it's no way to top last season.

What does your (tourist) places look like?? More quiet than last year or is it pretty much the same???
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

K2
    Tourism down ~ 20% over pre-coup levels. Hardly been very astute with toughening visa rules and TAT surreal approach to winning back tourists.

Once Myanmar opens up fully, Thailand will have to work much harder to win back repeat visitors (of the non sex-tourist type) - add to that potential for an economic dip (which could be sharp and nasty) and Thailand's massive private debt overhang - an eventual US hike in interest rates will hit such an indebted nation very hard.

Geirenomics I know is worth watching in your crazy Noggie way - your pretty switched on and I note your concern.
    Its My Life .....!

I was in a Thai town in the middle of nowhere 2 nights ago.. and it was rammed on a weeknight.. I was one of only 3 farangs I saw in 24h.. Bangkok Thais and couples with very white GF's in sundresses and straw hats with expensive SLR cameras.. Thai tourism looked strong..

Western tourism I am hearing bad things from Udon, and BKK bar owner.. Hard to get a gauge on CNX as its lots of asian tourists.. A bar owner or two for the western girly bar side here saying its very poor and lowest they have known over a few years.. Bar owners might always feel pressures in rising costs so unsure how valid that is. Also still martial law early closing in CNX at 12 pm for many bars but in truth it wasnt much later before. That probably hurts the nimanheamin yuppie bars more as they used to be rocking at 2 and 3 and now seem to close soon after midnight.

Patts is patts.. Always people.. hard to get a handle on numbers as expansion and size are different.. Will report on Samui in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Tourism down ~ 20% over pre-coup levels. Hardly been very astute with toughening visa rules and TAT surreal approach to winning back tourists.

Once Myanmar opens up fully, Thailand will have to work much harder to win back repeat visitors (of the non sex-tourist type) - add to that potential for an economic dip (which could be sharp and nasty) and Thailand's massive private debt overhang - an eventual US hike in interest rates will hit such an indebted nation very hard.
    Welcome to the darkside.. We have cookies..
    soupdragon and Dkdude like this.

very quiet here in Lamai (Samui)...and has been since the coup....euro high season here (July to Sept) barely made a blimp.....but with insurance companies refusing policies with martial law in place I guess that's not surprising

There's a distinct lack of mongers in the bars as well...plenty of bars here going without customers the whole night....even the Boxing Bar joints are low...there are a lot of grumbling bar owners/mamasans/BGs about town as well as the restaurant and hotels/guesthouses owners (many say its the worst low season they have ever had)

The Thai tourism seem to bloom here as well, but not many farangs around. We've made most of the money from Thais since we opened.
    The sad thing is when Thais here stop making money they will put their prices down to the silly to attract tourists.
    Glad my place is already payed for..............

No idea how's it doing in Kuala Lumpur, i guess still steady stream of Arabs and inbound packaged tours.

I cannot compare as I have only been there once, but I just spend a week at Koh Chang, and it felt as if I had the place for myself.

A few new bars opened up on the main beachside road through Bang Tao but no tourists yet. Build it and they will come seems to be the mindset.

Its still mid October so still the depths of low season

My guess in Patts is less Russians, just as many tiddlers (a real issue with the amount of tour buses is just insane) plenty arabs and Indians. Then we have the westerners who are in the main the only customers in bars and ago gos, most places seem to do a healthy trade. Walking Street is rammed to around midnight then quietens right down when the big groups of voyeurs get picked up in their coaches and taken home

I think overall the numbers dont seem hugely down in Patts but it will be interesting to see how it goes in high season
    LivinLOS likes this.

October about normal, 20% occupancy, November is lower than average at this stage currently only 25% occupancy, December, January & February fully booked with only little gaps here or there, March slightly up on last year at this stage. Enquiries overall have been less, but more serious enquirers, hence better conversion rates. Things have definitely started picking up in tourist numbers seen around the village over the last week or so, still quiet but its October.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Here was just about usual low season, maybe off a bit. This month so far has been much better than last year at this time.
    There seems to be a lot of folks around, all over the place really, but not that many venture past the bars on the street on Bangla.

High season is looking to be about average for us so far (which is very good).
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

So maybe I'm a bit to pessimistic for once. We are a new upgrowing island, so lets hope it works out good. The thing with small businesses is that a few big spenders missing makes a big impact....

One thing I noticed because I was booking a hotel in BKK for Ao and her son for New Years Eve was that prices seemed unusually low for that time of the year
    I was looking at the higher end hotels by the River

Isn't NYE usually pretty expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I cannot compare as I have only been there once, but I just spend a week at Koh Chang, and it felt as if I had the place for myself.
    Yeah was in Koh Chang about 3 weeks ago and same.. No one.. Even white beach and the one 'club' was just a few at midnight on a saturday.. Let alone going down to Lonely beach etc..

Then again I think Koh Chang does have a very low low season..

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    The thing with small businesses is that a few big spenders missing makes a big impact....
    Big spenders on Koh Phayam?What the hell are they buying? The only thing I was willing to pay a lot for there was a ticket back to civilization
    LivinLOS, Dupree and Dkdude like this.

Big spenders, what were they buying??? Ermm let me think??? wow!! tough one, but I'm going to go for drink maybe????
    geir likes this.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    very quiet here in Lamai (Samui)...and has been since the coup....euro high season here (July to Sept) barely made a blimp.....but with insurance companies refusing policies with martial law in place I guess that's not surprising

There's a distinct lack of mongers in the bars as well...plenty of bars here going without customers the whole night....even the Boxing Bar joints are low...there are a lot of grumbling bar owners/mamasans/BGs about town as well as the restaurant and hotels/guesthouses owners (many say its the worst low season they have ever had)
    So the good news will be that if any of the regular girls I see are there next month they will be really happy to see me......
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyy View Post
    So the good news will be that if any of the regular girls I see are there next month they will be really happy to see me......
    I imagine so, unless you are broke 555....it probably won't change much now until a week/10 days before Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Big spenders on Koh Phayam?What the hell are they buying? The only thing I was willing to pay a lot for there was a ticket back to civilization
    Big spenders........people drinking for 3-4k Baht every day for a few weeks..............makes big impact on small businesses! That is the people that makes it possible to make a living in Thailand. People budgeting for less than 50k a month is not really worth the company 55555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast