Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By Geespot

Thread: Is it just me or ???

Is it just me or ???

New Phuket police chief tells traffic cops, ?Get out there and work?

He also praised the Karon Police initiative to allow people to report problems and crimes such as snatched bags to staff at their local 7-Eleven shop
    Because nothing would make me feel safer than reporting a crime to a 3rd world below minimum wage convenience store employee who didn't speak my language..

What is it about 7/11 and law enforcement lately? First they want them to process immigration forms and now we can report crime to them as well? Maybe they should post tourist police in the stores as well.

Maybe they have concluded 7 Eleven staff are far more useful than your average MIB
    LivinLOS, kris-one, Pablo and 6 others like this.

Followed up by..

ATV Police Patrols for Beaches, Bobbies on Bicycles: New Phuket Commander Notes New Safety Impact - Phuket Wan

Maybe its just my drunk cynical head but...

As ATVs are illegal on the roads, perhaps the police commander could explain how these vehicle would legally get from A to B without breaking the law they are supposed to be upholding ?? I mean surely this has been thought through and isnt just some fired from the hip idea based on whose brother now has started an ATV dealership ??

Or again... Is this just me ??

My guess is the average uneducated 7-11 worker from the sticks is still smarter than the average Thai cop.

Dunno about smarter but for sure a lot more honest and not nearly as lazy

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Followed up by..

ATV Police Patrols for Beaches, Bobbies on Bicycles: New Phuket Commander Notes New Safety Impact - Phuket Wan

As ATVs are illegal on the roads, perhaps the police commander could explain how these vehicle would legally get from A to B without breaking the law they are supposed to be upholding ?? I mean surely this has been thought through and isnt just some fired from the hip idea based on whose brother now has started an ATV dealership ??

Maybe they could just assign them a special colored plate? Or somting?
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Illegal is a fluid concept and usually comes in the form of a crackdown with a lifespan of about a week.

This from 3 years ago yet there are still loads around the village, quite a few turning up at the school full of kids where the crossing policeman stops traffic for them

Phuket crackdown on motorbike sidecars

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    My guess is the average uneducated 7-11 worker from the sticks is still smarter than the average Thai cop.
    At least they don't have that bitter resentful look of a college graduate working the graveyard shift in a 24-hour service station, you often see in Western countries in recent years. (Sometimes I'm more scared of them than the homeless people mooching for change)

I quite like the way 7-11 workers seem happy in their work in Thailand, even at 4am dealing with an inebriated foreigner. Hope the added potential responsibility doesn't make them go all Stasi informer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Maybe they have concluded 7 Eleven staff are far more useful than your average MIB
    Made me smile .

Followed up by..

Just you maybe? I read the article and never saw where it said they were to be used on the roads? only read to patrol the beaches? but that's probably me not looking to try and ridicule anything done by anyone in Thailand?
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Just you maybe? I read the article and never saw where it said they were to be used on the roads? only read to patrol the beaches? but that's probably me not looking to try and ridicule anything done by anyone in Thailand?
    Yeah because they will never need refueling, servicing, being stored, putting them somewhere secure at night, etc etc..

We all know if they go ahead and buy these, just like the larger ATV type things the US donated after the tsunami, they will simply ride them on the roads as they like.

why not, as you know law enforcement, they come up with an idea that didnt break the law they are supposed to enforce on others.

Yeah because they will never need refueling, servicing, being stored, putting them somewhere secure at night, etc etc..

We all know if they go ahead and buy these, just like the larger ATV type things the US donated after the tsunami, they will simply ride them on the roads as they like.

why not, as you know law enforcement, they come up with an idea that didnt break the law they are supposed to enforce on others.
    As said I read the article and never saw where it said they were to ride on the road with the ATV, I wondered how you knew differently? didn't realise speculation and assumption was now a rule of law? I also feel they most likely will drive to the beach and back on the road, but just do not know for sure and really do not care if they do. I read it as a good move to try and get public policing, trying to be at the right place maybe to assist problems, help the public, whereas you see any negative in any action they try to take here, we are I suppose just different.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

So you think it makes sense to design a plan that from the very first part of the design process, will break the laws the same people are trying to enforce ??

Is it not a large part of the current police problems that people feel rightly or wrongly that certain sections of society can simply break the law.. if that perception is one they are trying to change would it not make much more sense to have the police actually work within the law.

That's not "looking for problems" it's pointing out a rather large lack of foresight.

Its speculating on what you think they might do? no where in the article did it say they would be driving atv's on the road? fair to assume they will, but I didn't see it stated? so I do not know for sure if they will perhaps be taken there by trailer? be kept on the beach? and if not I really do not mind as its trying something positive, which is only a good thing.

I am aware because of a island wide directive, that the Police are going to try to become more active, more community policing. Hence bicycles, stopping and talking to tourists more? again maybe a good idea, but lets see if it happens, but I simply do not try to run it and anything else they try down, before seeing how it works out, but there again I'm the Islands Defender!!!555555555555555

Go to any city around the world and I guarantee you will find police illegally parked.
    Police will always do things that the public aren't allowed to.

As long as it isn't something egregious..... riding ATV's is not the end of the world

By the way
    I went to this beach town in the Dominican and it is common to ride A TV's everywhere so I was excited to rentone.
    I drove it 3 blocks and turned around and returned it!

Driving an ATV around the streets sucks nuts!!

It's not like ATV's are a new thing for the police. They had one at Patong Beach back in 2010/2011.