Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Geespot
  • 1 Post By dontpanic

Thread: 50 note

50 note

Hi, its getting closer to my holiday in Phuket , time to think about my travel money options, normally bring the bulk in travelers cheques but hear they have put a 153 baht levy on each cheque, so i am looking into bringing some in cash ,what i want to know is there any problems with the 50 note , i have read somewhere they don't like cashing them due to forged ones in the past, hope someone can advise me, cheers, also can anyone tell me what the baht is to the pound over there now.

There is no problem with 50 notes but make sure they are in excellent condition i.e. not worn, torn or any writing on them

Cheers Geespot, is that at exchange booths, or do i have to use a bank, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    Cheers Geespot, is that at exchange booths, or do i have to use a bank, much appreciated.
    Either or but generally independent exchange booths give you a better rate
    nelsonone and jackal like this.

Always bring cash, if you have to withdraw money put some on your credit card in advance so you don't get hit with a cash advance fee, using an atm will cost about 150 baht and you'll be limited mostly to 10,000 baht per day so people tend to take out as much as they can at once. Shop around as the rates in the exchange booths change daily and some booths can be a lot better than others. Not familiar enough with Phuket to know where the better ones are.
    jackal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Always bring cash, if you have to withdraw money put some on your credit card in advance so you don't get hit with a cash advance fee, using an atm will cost about 150 baht and you'll be limited mostly to 10,000 baht per day so people tend to take out as much as they can at once. Shop around as the rates in the exchange booths change daily and some booths can be a lot better than others. Not familiar enough with Phuket to know where the better ones are.
    The 10k limit is not true, TMB & Bangkok Bank allow you to withdraw on one transaction dependent on your own bank daily ATM limit. For example my bank Lloyds International limit is 500 GBP per day, which roughly equates to 25k baht, which I lift from time to time

Other banks such as Kasikorn, Krungsri, AOB, Siam Commercial to name a few have a foreign card limit per transaction of 20k baht

Up until a few days ago the fee on top of a foreign card withdrawal was 150 baht for TMB & Bangkok Bank but suddenly TMB have upped to 180 baht, the same as all the other banks. I will need to check Bangkok Bank and see what they are at

Be very careful about carrying and keeping large amounts of cash. There are plenty incidents of cleaners and hotel staff stealing money or people getting mugged etc.........something very common in Patts

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    The 10k limit is not true, TMB & Bangkok Bank allow you to withdraw on one transaction dependent on your own bank daily ATM limit. For example my bank Lloyds International limit is 500 GBP per day, which roughly equates to 25k baht, which I lift from time to time

Other banks such as Kasikorn, Krungsri, AOB, Siam Commercial to name a few have a foreign card limit per transaction of 20k baht

Up until a few days ago the fee on top of a foreign card withdrawal was 150 baht for TMB & Bangkok Bank but suddenly TMB have upped to 180 baht, the same as all the other banks. I will need to check Bangkok Bank and see what they are at

Be very careful about carrying and keeping large amounts of cash. There are plenty incidents of cleaners and hotel staff stealing money or people getting mugged etc.........something very common in Patts
    Purely from my own experience so it is true from that viewpoint. Forgot to say that if you use a credit card there'll be usually a 3% surcharge which is passed onto the person buying, again purely from my own experiences, there may be exceptions.

CitiBank still not charging the 150 Bt fee on their cards at ATMs at Asok, used it 2 days ago.

50 note

I changed 600 in 50 notes at BKK airport the other day.. No issues at all. Rate was just under 50.
    Last edited by Johnnyy; 9th November 2014 at 18:27.

I changed mine in London at Thomas Exchange Global. Got 50.5. Supposedly best in UK.

Don't change them in UK and also don't change at BKK airport, you never get a good rate there

If I have to change money at bkk airport its the bare minimum

Patts the independent exchange booths, they are all over, plenty on 2nd road and around Soi Dianna
    BKK - change them at Suk Soi 9 Vasu Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Don't change them in UK and also don't change at BKK airport, you never get a good rate there

If I have to change money at bkk airport its the bare minimum

Patts the independent exchange booths, they are all over, plenty on 2nd road and around Soi Dianna
    BKK - change them at Suk Soi 9 Vasu Exchange
    You can get pretty good rates online in the UK. Buy enough to avoid commission and the rates are pretty good. I've done it the last few trips now...

There's an exchange booth between Lk Ren on Soi Dianna and the entrance to LK Metro that offers consistently very good exchange rates, pretty much opposite the Megabreak pool hall.