• 1 Post By Nautilus
  • 3 Post By dan boy
  • 1 Post By kris-one
  • 1 Post By billpay
  • 1 Post By dontpanic

Thread: Stickman Weekly : Bill of Phuket

Stickman Weekly : Bill of Phuket

Bill of Phuket

Across South-East Asia are a number of Western-owned and run guesthouses and budget hotels with a following, where you don't just get a comfortable room, you have an expat on hand who can point you in the right direction and provide info only known to locals. In Phnom Penh, there's Jim's California2 on the riverfront. And in Phuket there's Summer Breeze Hotel where American Bill has been the friendly proprietor for the past 10 years. I popped by to see Bill when I was in town recently for a chat about the Phuket of today and what must be a dream lifestyle, running a hotel at a popular beach resort.

Bill of Phuket
    K2, tnlawyer, JimCA2 and 5 others like this.

Superb....

It's like talking to Bill but in writing!! Can't wait to talk to him in person in December !!!
    quiksilva likes this.

well done Bill
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Bill makes it seem easy.

I think back to guys like Didi and all the drama he had running his place just opposite.

You gotta respect Bill and how he operates
    Last edited by Thin White Duke; 9th November 2014 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Bill of Phuket

Across South-East Asia are a number of Western-owned and run guesthouses and budget hotels with a following, where you don't just get a comfortable room, you have an expat on hand who can point you in the right direction and provide info only known to locals. In Phnom Penh, there's Jim's California2 on the riverfront. And in Phuket there's Summer Breeze Hotel where American Bill has been the friendly proprietor for the past 10 years. I popped by to see Bill when I was in town recently for a chat about the Phuket of today and what must be a dream lifestyle, running a hotel at a popular beach resort.

Bill of Phuket
    Isn't it great that they're both forum members too!

Bill is a total pro. For me, hanging out with Bill is like hanging out with my dad. I've learned more from Bill than I ever could have figured out on my own.

This Bill sounds dodgy....
    billpay, Dkdude and LivinLOS like this.
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

nice one Bill....well handled all the way through...you are a gentleman and a pro mate!

Have u ever increased your low season rate? I swear that's how much I paid in like 2007!
    JimCA2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    nice one Bill....well handled all the way through...you are a gentleman and a pro mate!
    Thanks Nels, I appreciate it. I think Stick is the real pro....I just answered his questions; he made it feel pretty much like a regular conversation.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Have u ever increased your low season rate? I swear that's how much I paid in like 2007!
    I think we have increased the price once since then....100 baht. Really, I have to charge pretty much what those are around me. I can charge only a bit more, but that keeps out the absolute 'cheap charlie'....., which is okay....there are some people that I really don't want to book here.
    JimCA2 likes this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

I liked the line about guys travelling halfway across the world and worry/moan about 5 bucks here and there, totally agree. Nice plug for the forum too even though Stickman forgot the hyphen.

^Agreed about that point jumping out to me as well... so spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    I liked the line about guys travelling halfway across the world and worry/moan about 5 bucks here and there, totally agree. Nice plug for the forum too even though Stickman forgot the hyphen.
    I googled Sihankouville because my friend and I thinking about possibly going there
    Holy shit the amount of cheap Charlie posts I read from various places was unreal

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I googled Sihankouville because my friend and I thinking about possibly going there
    Holy shit the amount of cheap Charlie posts I read from various places was unreal
    That's one of Cambodians traps.. It's appeal is in part how cheap it is.. So attracts the kind of tourist whose looking to be cheap.. Means businesses discount to death and offering more higher end seems very hard to make work.

There's no doubt Thailand has gotten more expensive in general and some of its appeal is fading especially when you read about the endless visa issues compared to how seemingly easy it is to sort stuff like that out in Cambodia. However the tourist infrastructure isn't quite there in Cambodia yet so it's a trade off between getting a cheaper break and having access to top of the range hotels and very good transport links. I definitely noticed a massive price difference in PP especially compared to Bangkok but even to Pattaya it's easily half the cost. I dont think I spent more than $40 buying drinks for myself and 2 or 3 ladies in st104, $5-10 will get you something very nice to eat. Like I said in my Cambodia trip report if I had money to invest abroad Cambodia would be a very attractive place for a long term prospect.
    JimCA2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    That's one of Cambodians traps.. It's appeal is in part how cheap it is.. So attracts the kind of tourist whose looking to be cheap.. Means businesses discount to death and offering more higher end seems very hard to make work.
    Before the lake was filled in, all the back packers would be out of sight and out of mind. Now with the lake gone, back packers have moved into the city and it is rapidly becoming a Khao San Road. I havent been to Sihanoukville since 2008 and have zero desire to go there. Traffic is getting worse in the capital, and I don't know if its the new ASEAN thing thats supposed to come in 2015 but the greed factor seems to be increasing. As time goes on Thailand is looking more appealing, primarily for just the day to day infrastructure.

Infrastructure, especially serious medical, would be a huge factor.. Also simply where they are on development..

It sounds silly but the near total lack of efficient supply chains (home pro, etc etc) meant little things you wouldn't expect were lots more expensive.. To live cheap was cheaper.. To live that little bit nicer, suddenly the costs spiral up so fast it's not that much cheaper.. Then you question the value of what your getting, or simply make do without it.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    simply make do without it.
    Always the crux of the issue, right there... can you easily make do without it? If so, no problem. If not, it starts to grate on ya the longer ya go without...