Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: No shade umbrellas on Phuket Beaches

No shade umbrellas on Phuket Beaches

This is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Beyond rediculous. I understand regulating private business on public beaches. But now you can't bring your own shade? I can't think of ANY beach in the world with similar regulations.

HKTComedyClub

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 3:36:03 PM
    Pathetic! If it wasn't so stupid, it would be funny. A show of incompetence that will be hard to beat, but I'm sure they will succeed sometime in the future. It's a pity the officials aren't as conscientious with a million other things in Phuket.

jimbo34

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 3:36:05 PM
    An absolutely absurd situation.

HKTComedyClub

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 3:39:05 PM
    So bringing my own jet-ski to the beach will be frowned upon as well? :-)

Peter logan

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 3:53:54 PM
    This is bizarre. Not allowing beach goers to use their own umbrellas? This makes absolutely no sense and will result in Phuket becoming a laughing stock. Laughable.

Tinkerbell

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 4:04:55 PM
    That is ridiculous. What is next? Can't bring a cooler for drinks? And then not any inflatable toys, or buckets and spades? Everywhere in the world, people go to the beach with their own umbrellas, chairs, towels, wind screens, music, etc. Government provides trash bins every 50 meters, and it will be a clean and enjoyable place. Can you bring an umbrella to a park or playground? Can you carry one around?

Eric

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 4:24:59 PM
    Next season 20% less tourists and more people will lose income due to this stupid new rule. They could have properly organized the beach chairs and umbrellas like we do in Europe. Poor management

Ling

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 4:26:21 PM
    What a stupid mess this has become... completely uncomprehendable. The lack of common sense within the governing ranks here is beyond belief. The people making decisions around here are so far out of touch with the rest of the world. They need to wake up fast

Jo Dela Hetie

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 4:45:10 PM
    Is it so difficult to organize and regulate the rentals of loungers and umbrellas? They do it anywhere else in the world! Just officially rent out some parts of the beaches and keep things under control. It is that simple...

Dieter Moeller

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 5:11:10 PM
    I would recommend not going to Phuket or any other beach in Thailand at all. There are many more Asian countries where tourists and their money are more welcomed.

Sven Nilsson

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 5:59:07 PM
    Me and my family will NEVER return to Phuket and its probably very sure that we will never return to Thailand at all. Weve been visiting Thailand every year since 1974 but now it's over, not because of our age, because of how has Thailand become.

Anon

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 6:44:57 PM
    Amazing Thailand! Land of Smiles! Probably the only place in the world where this problem would exist

Hugh Jampton

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 6:46:12 PM
    Common sense in Thailand is an oxymoron. The object of the exercise in clearing the beaches was to get rid of territories and scams on public land, surely not to stop tourists bringing what they need for a day at the beach? That this couldn't be solved by now is pathetic

damian

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 7:03:48 PM
    Get them back. It makes results, but this time better run. Time is running out. Get it sorted quick befor the season's over. Thank you

Capealava

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 7:29:50 PM
    Thailand has become a land of the stupid and confused. Not allowing umbrellas on the beach? They never thought of the consequences of this? Bring back the sunbeds in a rational way, along with the umbrellas.

Chris

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 7:31:25 PM
    My blood boils when I read stories like this! My true feelings would never make it to the comments section, as the editors would have no choice but to delete them due to the contents. This is just so far beyond words!

JiPe

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 7:36:08 PM
    Shame. Bye bye Phuket, never again. Many more beautifull beaches in Thailand!

Claude

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 8:30:03 PM
    This is going to be a serious issue, not solvable even over a glass of whiskey. A case to be brought up at the United Nations

Jason

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 8:46:02 PM
    This is Thai logic. No Umbrella but plenty of jet-skis. It's time to move to Cambodia.

skip

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 9:36:36 PM
    I dont believe its law regarding the umbrellas, it's a ploy. Sour grapes by the people who were controlling and scamming off the chairs and brollies to get them back on the beach. The tourists are barking mad about no chairs and brollies. High season is ruined and this will kill the next. Well done, you have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. Viva Philippines, Vietnam, Bali, etc. etc

Mje

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 9:54:08 PM
    This has to be the most stupid problem I have ever read about in the Gazette. The former beach chair vendors overstepped their authority, sold off the businesses for loads of money, and the beaches became so overcrowded you could not move, or enjoy a walk on the beach. How does a family bringing their own umbrella to the beach, resemble what was happened before

Dumbfounded

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 - 10:22:29 PM
    What a shambles. Only on Phuket! And yet there's dangerous jet-skis!

Quote Originally Posted by SooninThai View Post
    This is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Beyond rediculous. I understand regulating private business on public beaches. But now you can't bring your own shade? I can't think of ANY beach in the world with similar regulations.
    Deleted - maybe not so good a comment in an open forum.

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    I posted on a few of those FB and newpaper threads to say..

What law ?? They were saying it was against the law, and they would arrest people for bringing an umbrella onto the beach.. So exactly what law says you cannot bring a personally owned umbrella to the beach.. What about when its raining ?? What about towels ?? What about sunscreen ?? Its farcical.. Its symptomatic of what is wrong in the running of this country.. Someone with a little bit of power says this is how he thinks it should be, and that is suddenly 'the law' and the police are then used to enforce it with threat of arrest..

It isnt a law, anyone with an ounce of sense knows it isnt a law, its simply knee jerk thinking and power throwing its weight about.

If you wanted to be highly cynical, you could say they were exacerbating the problem, making it fully unbearable for the tourists, so that they could then provide the solution, in the form of the old system brought back. I have no way of knowing if this was as actually thought out and considered as that, or if it was simple stupidity.. But that seems much more likely than it being any kind of 'law'.

Beach-umbrella ban remains, confirms Phuket Governor

Dear lord.. Cannot.. Can.. Cannot..

Its like those in power think that by saying so, it makes a law.. Laws dont come into being because someone wishes them to be laws..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Beach-umbrella ban remains, confirms Phuket Governor

Dear lord.. Cannot.. Can.. Cannot..

Its like those in power think that by saying so, it makes a law.. Laws dont come into being because someone wishes them to be laws..

They do if it is Martial Law.

N

Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Not that this example has anything to do with that - it's just another useless f'wit Phuket Governor
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Not that this example has anything to do with that - it's just another useless f'wit Phuket Governor
    Are there any other kind ???

Well perhaps it they were not appointed....

Ohh nevermind..
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Well perhaps it they were not appointed....

Ohh nevermind..
    I would go further than that, not only are they appointed they are specially chosen for their pliability and PR skills. Their ability to appear to actually give a damn and be be seen to be trying to put things right whilst at the same time achieving diddly squat. The previous Governor was a master at this and I remember several on P.I. singing his praises but if you look back he didn't do much at all and look how many times his name gets brought up in major scandals.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    I would go further than that, not only are they appointed they are specially chosen for their pliability and PR skills. Their ability to appear to actually give a damn and be be seen to be trying to put things right whilst at the same time achieving diddly squat.
    Your still talking about local government right
    soupdragon, Dkdude and Waharoa like this.

It appears the great umbrella crises is over? I think?

Personal Umbrellas OK at Phuket Beaches

By Prasit Tarnsirisin and Alan Morison
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014
    PHUKET: Tourists can bring their own sunbeds and umbrellas to Patong and to all of Phuket's beaches, Phuket Vice Governor Jamleran Tipayapongtadav told Phuketwan today.

''Of course they can,'' he said. ''There is no law against it.''

Visitors to Kamala, to Karon and to Kata are welcome to bring their own umbrellas and beach chairs, Phuketwan was also told today by authorities who oversee those beaches.

Just why some police should tell patrons at Patong beach that they cannot do so remains a mystery.

Unless perhaps it prevents them from getting in the way of parasailers.

Banning visitors from bringing their own chairs and umbrellas could also force the local council to more actively consider the return of the thousands of privately-owned sunbeds and umbrellas.

The Superintendent of Kathu Police Station, Colonel Jirapat Palchanaphan, said yesterday that he is so busy with keeping the peace and the traffic flowing for the Fourth Asian Beach Games that he had no time to discuss the issue.

However, if Patong officers have been telling tourists that they cannot bring their own umbrellas and sunbeds, it seems they are out of line.

Tourists may have to ask officers to produce the written law that prohibits sunlovers and swimmers from bringing their own beach equipment.

The Chief Administrative Officer at Karon, Weerasak Anekwongsawat, went even further than the vice governor.

''You can pick up a sunbed for about 300 baht and an umbrella for about 200 baht at most supermarkets,'' he said.

''We have no problem with anyone bringing their own equipment to Karon beach, provided they also take it home with them when they decide to leave.''

Phuketwan has also seen personal umbrellas in use at Nai Harn and Surin beaches, so only at Patong does it seem there could be a problem with one or perhaps two overzealous officers.

Vice Governor Jamleran added that the final decisions have yet to be made about beach zoning concepts put forward by self-interested sunbed and umbrella business groups.

The reaction of visitors to the new, cleared beaches on Phuket has been overwhelmingly in favor of the new look.

Phuketwan has also received a few comments from readers - mostly those who haven't seen the new beaches - threatening to abandon Phuket holidays unless they can have beach sunbeds.

^^ that was the middle in the no yes no crazyness..

If you look thats the 18th.. The governor said no again on the 22nd..

Left hand.. right hand..

How about umbrellas with pictures of jet-skis on it?
    LivinLOS and tnlawyer like this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Last edited by SooninThai; 24th November 2014 at 12:29.

are beach umbrellas not banned on most Australian beaches?
    I'm gonna make my own thread, with Blackjack and Hookers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    are beach umbrellas not banned on most Australian beaches?
    No way - if you bring your own!
    The missus carries that and you carry the esky.

We don't let anyone "own the beach".

Wot no Umbrella ?

No Umbrella, unless .....20141127_145611.jpg
    Ps Taken at Surin Beach 2pm 27/11/2014 opposite Catch
    Pps Note there's another load of illegal umbrellas up against the tree ...

The Navy commander said yesterday that of course private umbrellas (and mats and chairs) are allowed on the beaches..

http://www.thephuketnews.com/get-the...arns-49854.php

Gen Patchara said that they can also bring umbrellas, towels, chairs or mats onto the beach – resolving a week-long confusion over whether tourists are allowed to poke holes in the sand.

“They can rent these from a shop nearby – though not one located on public land – and carry the sunbathing equipment themselves to use. But we will not allow vendors to help customers set up umbrellas and so on at the beach,” he said.

Asked about massage services opening on the beach, V/Adm Sayan said, “Right now, government officers under Governor Nisit Jansomwong are looking for a solution. I have heard that all the masseuses will get job offers with hotels instead.

“But you’d better ask him. He is taking full responsibility for this.”

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast