Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Chiang Mai - Hipster hotspots

Chiang Mai - Hipster hotspots

25 new reasons you should visit Chiang Mai this winter | BK Magazine Online

Some of the bars here worth finding (House of Beers and a couple others on the list I know) personally I dont quite get the current trend of putting new 'trendy' drinking places in these 'lifestyle malls' when theres so many cool older buildings that would have a lot more character and I would have to assume at a lower lease cost.

Also some glaring omissions.. Mix.. Beer Republic.. El Patio.. The Edge, on the river.. Casa Diverso..
    K2 likes this.

Beer Republic was the one that immediately jumped out to me.

I have been to Maya mall dozens of times, yet never made it to the roof top bars. It was good to at least see a picture of what they look like. Maybe if I go back to drinking, I'll pop in there some day.

Theres a large fairly popular one on top of star avenue mall (which is more an open courtyard of facing shophouses almost) on the superhighway I popped up to.. Nice large open air setup, and in the cool winter evenings we are now getting I am sure will be great space.. But I just dont like the whole idea of bars and malls combined..

Then again maybe its just me ?? The promenda mall is close to me, and the second hall is basically all restaurants, cinema, etc etc etc not retail.. I dont get that 'go to the mall to eat' thought.. Eating at a mall is because your there already, even less so drinking and night time.. malls are retail not leisure activity in my head.

With regards to staying is it better to stay inside the old city or outside? mainly for easy access to nightlife.

Farang centric P4P nightlife.. The beer bars and stuff.. be east of old city.. Ramming Lodge perfect location unless you want swanker..

More general upmarket yuppie trendy younger nightlife centers around nimanheamin a Rd west of the old city..

CMs appeals are spread out.. You dont see much of it on foot unlike say Patong.

^^ Looks reasonably swanky and reasonably priced, free airport transfers too!

Whats its room rate now.. Reasonably priced takes on a new meaning up here I know a place (outskirts the city needs a bike) where a really kinda nice resort hotel, pool, cool rooms, northern style art painted frescos on the walls, stylish in that norther wood / cement / white style.. 890b a night..

Can use it as a short time hotel at those rates

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Farang centric P4P nightlife.. The beer bars and stuff.. be east of old city.. Ramming Lodge perfect location unless you want swanker..

More general upmarket yuppie trendy younger nightlife centers around nimanheamin a Rd west of the old city..

CMs appeals are spread out.. You dont see much of it on foot unlike say Patong.
    Spot on. Ya need to be mobile to really see things in CM. It doesnt do well for the 'on foot' crowd. Ya need a motorbike and a map.

I guess if ya stayed in the Niman area, there's lots of bars and cafes and restaurants to walk to... as well as Maya mall with it's shopping, cinema and rooftop bars. No P4P, but you could flirt with the Uni gals that are all over the area.

Otherwise, stay near Thapae Gate/Plaza (I always recommend Imm Hotel cuz it's so cheap- around 1000 baht and perfectly decent) and rent a scoot to move around the city to see the sites.
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 21st November 2014 at 22:09.

Well 5 nights in June is about 12/1300 per night for a regular room and 2000 baht approx for a suite.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Well 5 nights in June is about 12/1300 per night for a regular room and 2000 baht approx for a suite.
    Yes thats reasonable.. I remember a friend booked it and told me he was paying 1800 or 1900 and was a bit surprised. 12/1300 seems the level to me outside of peak.

Location surrounded by the beer bars.. But noise isnt so much of an issue in sleepy CNX. As WP says, transport is how you get the most out of CNX, without it getting the best out of it isnt so simple. Even now I am finding little alleys of bars and places of interest and I criss cross backstreets habitually just to nose about.