Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib

Thread: Bangkok - Circular Tour

Bangkok - Circular Tour

My pal has been showing newbies to Bangkok this tour for years. It doesn't have to start at Nana Plaza but it's as good a place as any

The BTS is a great way to get around Bangkok. It's reliable, efficient, relatively easy to navigate around, air conditioned and free of traffic jams.

I like to start on Sukhumvit because I find Sukhumvit, particularly the Nana area, a great flavour of Bangkok. The Nana BTS station is a couple of hundred metres along Sukhumvit, turn right as you exit Soi 4 from Nana Plaza.

Your first BTS train will be on the Mo Chit line to Siam. It's only 5 minuts and 3 stops. It will cost 25baht or so as a single trip. Buying your ticket for Nana to Saphan Thaksin, the whole trip, will cost 42baht.

Note that using the BTS means getting tickets from the machines whether you like it or not. You can stand in the queue at the windows with people apparently serving customers but all they will do is make change for you and point you towards the machines.

At the Siam interchange station you are looking for trains heading towards Talat Phlu but only going as far as Saphan Taksin; 5 stops and 10 minutes or so.

At Saphan Taksin you are taking a local ferry along the river. The lady selling tickets, usually a grumpy lady who will shout and point you in the right direction, will relieve you of 15baht or so for the 20 minute trip but the ferries themselves can be a little confusing. Be sure to ask the shouty lady to point you towards the correct ferry. The whole area is a bit of a zoo and it is very easy to find yourself heading the wrong way along the river.

For good pictures of the temples along the route you need to be there early evening when they are lit up; it's a spectacular trip if you time it right.

For Khao San the ferry stop is pier 13 at Phra Arthit. Follow the hippies to find Khao San itself.

There are great food options all over Khao San so it's a nice place to stop for dinner. Personally, I can cope with Khao San long enough to eat and then I need to be elsewhere. I usually grab a taxi or a tuk-tuk at the top of the road, 20 minutes or so back to Nana if that's where you are heading.
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 28th June 2013 at 19:52.

SUkhumvit Early Evening

Lots of life and plenty to point the camera at around here:

Bts

BTS is quick, efficient and fairly photogenic:

Ferry From Saphan Taksin

The ferry is a bit crazy, I find doing as I'm told very useful here:

View From the River

Bangkok, for me, is one of those cities that looks far better by night:
    PadMC likes this.

A couple more from the river:

...and my favourite Khao San picture:

I realise it's a terrible representation of Khao San but I do like the pic

Ferry is the best way to get to the palace and wat pho as well.....the cooling breeze off the water and the views make it a pleasant trip....I like to stand up the back in the open but those shouty ladies will sometimes summon you back inside 555

Have a few pics to contribute when I get back for a temple hopping day guide but you are right it looks so much better at night.

Never stood still how good BKK looked by night. It's indeed a nice city if you look at the pictures.
    One place I always founded magnificent. When you went to the old airport Don Muang in the evening we Always passed a temple next to the highway. The reflection off the city lights, car lights and all the other light available made the roof of the temple sparkle. Unfortunatly it always made me sad as it was the point I realised my holiday was over.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

First time i came to LOS, i never liked Bangkok, Just to big and crowded, but the last few times, i have become to like it more and more, there are normal people there, whom go to work in the daytime, there are more "normal" places to have drink, or have a bite to eat

And staying at Majestic Suites, for the last 5 years, helps alot also , near nana , near the skytrain near Soi cowboy
    Last edited by Peterhol; 29th June 2013 at 06:56.

And near Annies!

Quote Originally Posted by Peterhol View Post
    First time i came to LOS, i never liked Bangkok, Just to big and crowded, but the last few times, i have become to like it more and more, there are normal people there, whom go to work in the daytime, there are more "normal" places to have drink, or have a bite to eat

And staying at Majestic Suites, for the last 5 years, helps alot also , near nana , near the skytrain near Soi cowboy
    Exactly that. Bangkok, for me, used to be somewhere I passed through on the way somewhere more interesting. Now I would rather be in Bangkok than Patong.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    And near Annies!
    and guess bar !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Exactly that. Bangkok, for me, used to be somewhere I passed through on the way somewhere more interesting. Now I would rather be in Bangkok than Patong.
    Ditto. I also find myself spending more and more time in BKK.