Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evilbaz

Thread: Air asia asean pass

Air asia asean pass

AIR ASIA ASEAN PASS

Following losses of over 2 billion THB in the past quarter, it's fourth quarter of losses for Air Asia X, the long distance arm of Air Asia, the Malaysian discount airline is back on the front foot with an idea which could revolutionise air travel for local travellers.

AirAsia says it will launch a regional air pass next year to increase revenue and boost tourism in south-east Asia, taking competition in low-cost air travel to a more intense level.

Chief Executive Tony Fernandes said the AirAsia ASEAN Pass will allow travellers to fly to 10 different destinations in south-east Asia in one month for 499 ringgit (5,000 THB), excluding airport taxes. He says the pass will be sold from January 15 and further details will be announced at the time

I call that pretty smart..

Most people dont see how the airport taxes are a major part in the budget airline ticket prices.. And who wants to go to 10 destinations in a month ?? so that vast majority will use it to visit 4 or maybe 5.. And in doing so, with the added taxes, its probably not that different.

Yet it will gain a huge amount of publicity and cause issues for the smaller regional budgets who dont have the same network, it keeps people on air asia for a whole vacation when otherwise they might be AA one leg, lion another BKK air another..

All round smart.

Hell Yeah, great idea. I would love it. Go to KL, PI, then VN, Cambo, Bkk and back to HKT.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

I took the family on one of those airpasses around Australia a few years ago.
    It was 10,000 miles IIRC. As the boys were 9/10 we took mostly daytime flights which gave them a really good idea (with their maps and logbooks supplied) just how big this brown southern land is.
    The route was Perth-Alice Springs-Cairns-Townsville. Then a private sidetrip Townsville-Hamilton Island because that would have just exceeded the miles.
    Then Hamilton Island-Brisbane-Melbourne-Hobart- Adelaide-Perth.
    Three weeks of school holidays they'll never forget.

I agree - a great idea and few will use every last mile like I did 555!
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

I'll definitely be looking into taking up one of those....however it will be interesting to do the maths on it vs a standard low period booking for what you actually want to do...10 sectors in one month would be way too much for me these days...maybe even 6 would be pushing it....airport costs are a whack (leaving Thailand is 800 baht alone on departure tax) so they would need to be looked at closely to make a fair/fare comparison

Now I think.. I bet once you look at flights like Bali, cambodia, etc it really would save.. Those longer haul options on air asias network have to add up.. I was more thinking with short haul in mind.

While air asia isnt my favorite airline, its great for the consumer how this competition works for us.

The devil will be in the detail ....
    LivinLOS likes this.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

^ very true Baz...