Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: What not to do when tourism is hurting.

What not to do when tourism is hurting.

Doing the rounds on social media..

Travel warning Thailand: Bangkok police accelerate random visitor urine tests, searches, interrogations on western tourists and expats WoWasis TravelBlog

This would appear to be based off this BKK post information.

IMO, taking one report and making it a trend is pushing it too far.. But seeing as I see this now in 3 or 4 Thai related facebook groups this morning, its very much a sign that social media has the power to shine a light on small events.

One report?

Stickman has been reporting these stop and frisks weekly for over a year

This has been a daily occurrence in the Suk area for at least 3 years, especially by Thong Lor division whose boundary starts at Asoke

In all my times in bangkok I have never once been stopped randomly..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    In all my times in bangkok I have never once been stopped randomly..
    Neither have I but i know many who live in the Asok area that this is a daily occurrence and has been for a very long time

Yep, Asok is known for it now. At least in online circles.

That said, with the numbers down the way they are, maybe a good idea to put a tourist policeman who can at least explain the situation, the applicable laws, maybe make the situation less of a shock for unknowning tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Yep, Asok is known for it now. At least in online circles.

That said, with the numbers down the way they are, maybe a good idea to put a tourist policeman who can at least explain the situation, the applicable laws, maybe make the situation less of a shock for unknowning tourists.
    Sunbelt Asia Legal Advisers responds: If the police have set up correctly labeled gates and barriers with clear signs stating Seize / Stops and there are high ranking enough officers then the police have the right to conduct searches and tests on anyone, including Thai nationals. If you refuse a search or test at such a legal barrier then you run the risk of being charged with obstruction.

However, if the barrier is unofficial, i.e. not clearly signed or lacking in the correct ranking officer, then you can refuse to be searched or tested. In either case, it is in your best interest to contact friends or family to witness the situation before anything proceeds. The sign will be in Thai language and will state that you must stop, usually it is a large lighted sign. The lowest ranking officer that must be at the stop is Police Sub-Lieutenant.

After I stopped drinking and driving, stopped using drugs, and pretty much cleaned my act up...
    I actually look forward to being stopped by the police. It's the little things...
    JimCA2 and Dkdude like this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Interestingly I had to go for a medical a few weeks ago as I've got a new job and the doctor said to me my urine test gave a positive for Benzodiazopene, I had to ask what that was and he said it was commonly used in sedatives. The day I found out I got the job I couldn't sleep due to elation and excitement and just too many things going through my head so I took half a small valium to get a few hours sleep. This was 3 weeks before the medical and as it turned out Benzo's can stay in your system for up to 6 week detectable by a urine test. It's just put a cautionary note in my head for taking sleeping tablets on flights it could land you in a tricky situation especially if you've no prescription even though they're freely available in Thailand.
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Interestingly I had to go for a medical a few weeks ago as I've got a new job and the doctor said to me my urine test gave a positive for Benzodiazopene, I had to ask what that was and he said it was commonly used in sedatives. The day I found out I got the job I couldn't sleep due to elation and excitement and just too many things going through my head so I took half a small valium to get a few hours sleep. This was 3 weeks before the medical and as it turned out Benzo's can stay in your system for up to 6 week detectable by a urine test. It's just put a cautionary note in my head for taking sleeping tablets on flights it could land you in a tricky situation especially if you've no prescription even though they're freely available in Thailand.
    Wow, i didn't know any of that, 6 weeks?? luckily I never take sleeping tablets, but very good advice to those who do.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Same as people flying via dubai with valium in the washbag not thinking..

IIRC its a mandatory 1 year jail term.. Someone went to jail for the poppy seeds off a bread roll crumb !!

IIRC its a mandatory 1 year jail term.. Someone went to jail for the poppy seeds off a bread roll crumb !!
    Even taking Solphadine (Co Codamol) pain killers which have codeine in them are illegal. Total pain in the ass when you have run out and ask someone coming with Emirates to get you some. These are the ultimate hangover tablets!!!

I think in Thailand you need a prescription for them too

I've heard a few stories about this too and I think it's the same rule for Abu Dhabi however I think the rule applies to those who want to stay in the Emirates and not transitory passengers. The security in Abu Dhabi has always struck me as being fairly not interested however this doesn't mean you won't get someone on a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Wow, i didn't know any of that, 6 weeks?? luckily I never take sleeping tablets, but very good advice to those who do.
    I have to say I was fairly surprised myself and it provided an awkward moment at the medical so I owned up and he then asked my were they prescribed. not wanting to dig a hole I came clean and said I got them abroad as I find it difficult to sleep on planes but I'd have no problem doing a urine test in a few weeks to show that I was clean and am not a regular user. He was fine about it and only said he'd advise my new employer if it was the case he thought it could interfere with my work like if I was a driver or working with heavy machinary etc.

Drugs stay even longer in your hair by the way, up to 90 days!

You don't think this haircut choice was by accident do you
    Dkdude and SLeesy like this.

I keep mine this way because it would be a damn shame to cover such a wonderful head with anything.

The good lord only made a few perfect and great looking heads... the rest he covered with hair out of shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Neither have I but i know many who live in the Asok area that this is a daily occurrence and has been for a very long time
    Yeah I was stopped while in a taxi at the Asok intersection a couple of years back. Pat down and a look through my wallet....

In all my times in bangkok I have never once been stopped randomly.
    stopt a wile back and fined 2500 for trowing a sig
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post

Drugs stay even longer in your hair by the way, up to 90 days!
    Actually they can test back a lot longer than that.......depending on how much they willing to pay

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Actually they can test back a lot longer than that.......depending on how much they willing to pay
    Or how long your hair is 555.
    WarProfiteer likes this.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast