Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bar opening..

Bar opening..

First they said open.. Then the jungle drums said closed.. Now theres..

Phuket bar owners called to honor Father?s Day booze ban

So the official statement is.. We want you to close, but theres no law that says you must close, but if you open then beware we will apply the law to you..

So clear as mud.. Drinking out of mugs again..

The law they will apply to you, is checking that your licences etc are all correct and that you are not exceeding any opening hours. As usual there is confusion, last year all the farang owned bars in Kamala shut for the Kings birthday, most of the Thai owned bars stayed open? who's kings birthday was it again??? then we have the other confusion we are a Hotel bar, so can we, but should we stay open?? as the hotel is open and say the bar is only for guests? Suppose gotto pop down and have a chat with my local police guys again???

Read today that someone is proposing all bars should be banned from selling alcohol on New Years eve and over Songkhran??? only proposing at this moment but surely not? lets hope its only a crank official proposing it to get his 5 minutes of fame??
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

555, clear as mud. Even the article the other day said the Phuket Police Commander and RTP Spokesperson said there'd be no ban, nor even a "request" to close.

I think whilst deep down many people (apart from Smiley 555) would like to see it open, we all knew it'd never happen, even if they said it'd be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    The law they will apply to you, is checking that your licences etc are all correct and that you are not exceeding any opening hours. As usual there is confusion, last year all the farang owned bars in Kamala shut for the Kings birthday, most of the Thai owned bars stayed open? who's kings birthday was it again??? then we have the other confusion we are a Hotel bar, so can we, but should we stay open?? as the hotel is open and say the bar is only for guests? Suppose gotto pop down and have a chat with my local police guys again???

Read today that someone is proposing all bars should be banned from selling alcohol on New Years eve and over Songkhran??? only proposing at this moment but surely not? lets hope its only a crank official proposing it to get his 5 minutes of fame??
    But surely you see the threat implied.. We have no law to stop you but if you do, we will find something wrong to bust your ass for..

Yeah I posted that in one of the threads.. Truly insane idea for a dry new year or SG.. Cant see it being allowed to fly but who knows with the conservative elements in power..

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    555, clear as mud. Even the article the other day said the Phuket Police Commander and RTP Spokesperson said there'd be no ban, nor even a "request" to close.
    Yeah I was trying to find that to add to the above but couldnt see which news source I read it on..

Don't think it is an implied threat but an actual statement. No law to shut but if you stay open you will be checked for licenses etc and we will find something wrong!!
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

^^^ what happens if there is nothing actually wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgezza View Post
    ^^^ what happens if there is nothing actually wrong?
    In Thailand theres never nothing wrong.. Thats how they want it..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah I was trying to find that to add to the above but couldnt see which news source I read it on..
    It was PhuketNews:

Phuket: No booze ban on December 5

Originally stated:

The Phuket News this morning contacted Phuket police commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit who said that he had received no notification from the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok but added that, looking at previous years, an alcohol ban was unlikely.
    In Bangkok, however, a spokesman for the Royal Thai Police confirmed that he had spoken with the Police Strategy Unit which had decided there would be no booze ban on December 5, nor even any “request” to shops, bars, restaurants and wholesalers not to sell alcohol on the day.

Note they even mention "requests" wouldn't be made.

They've since updated the article which now says:

UPDATE: On December 4, the Phuket provincial government issued a formal request for businesses to refrain from selling alcohol on December 5, 2014.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-govenrment-requests-businesses-to-refrain-from-alochol-sales-on-fathers-day-49990.php

PHUKET: Patong Police Superindent Chiraphat Pochanaphanhas confirmed that he has recieved an official request from the Phuket provincial government to ask all businesses on the island to refrain from selling alcohol tomorrow, HM the King's 87th birthday, Thailand's Father's Day.
    crime, tourism,
    The Phuket NewsThursday 4 December 2014, 05:46PM

Patong's top cop told The Phuket News that he had just recieved the letter this evening (December 4) and understands that the letter was sent out to all police presincts on the island.
    The request follows a statement from the Royal Thai Police yesterday stating that there would be no formal ban in the kingdom, and is also consistent with a statement from the island's top cop given earlier this week that the we would need to wait closer to the holiday to confirm whether or not there would be a ban or request not to sale booze.
    Mr Chiraphat explained that the request is not an official ban and though businesses who choose not to comply with the request would not be subject to criminal charges under Thai law, police "may visit the business to have a talk".
    The request follows several businesses in Patong contacting The Phuket News and Live 89.5 earlier today to report that local police had been pressuring some bar owners on the famous party zone of Bangla Rd to close if not refrain from selling booze tomorrow.
    The request affects all businesses – bars, restaurants, supermarkets and convenience stores – and is effective for December 5 (12.01am tonight untill 11.59 tomorrow tonight).

I love the this bit:
    businesses who choose not to comply with the request would not be subject to criminal charges under Thai law, police "may visit the business to have a talk".

Uh huh, just a talk... sure....

I always thought the King's birthday was the most strictly enforced non-alcohol day?

^ the major Buddah holy days are the strictest....
    LivinLOS likes this.

The Buddha days are by law.. But Mothers day / fathers day used to be strongly enforced..

Its not a real problem if they want to have a closure.. Its just the way its done.. Is it, isnt it ?? Its not.. Its is.. its sorta..

What's happens if I take a beach umbrella in a limo with a black plate to a bar on the Kings birthday?
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    What's happens if I take a beach umbrella in a limo with a black plate to a bar on the Kings birthday?
    If you want a drink you'd better bring your esky too 555!
    (or in Kiwispeak - a chully bun.)
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Any word on what is happening in Bangkok?

Seems that ill health has caused the King to cancel the public appearances, Disappointment for birthday well-wishers | Bangkok Post: news

The LK Metro webcams look very quiet although the bars do seem to be open.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Seems that ill health has caused the King to cancel the public appearances, Disappointment for birthday well-wishers | Bangkok Post: news

The LK Metro webcams look very quiet although the bars do seem to be open.
    You can open your bar, it is the serving of alcohol they are asking you not to do.

Reports from soi 6 are biz as usual and LK appears to have some bars open and serving in CNX.. Baan Chang have been told to close and seem to be doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    You can open your bar, it is the serving of alcohol they are asking you not to do.

The bar owners should let the customers help themselves....no rules broken!

Quote Originally Posted by pavlov's dogs View Post
    The bar owners should let the customers help themselves....no rules broken!
    err, the bars open to make money, no??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast