Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Beach Chairs and Umbrellas - the Reality

Beach Chairs and Umbrellas - the Reality

In Patong and finally went down to our favourite beach we have spent a lot of time over the last 10 years.

Today we had to lie on our towels on the sand for the first time.

After about 2 hours it gets darned uncomfortable without a chair and trying to read brings out all the aches and pains in shoulders and neck.
    Not the end of the world but we won't bother to go back to spend our usual days at beach.

Having had one patch of Melanoma excised, I want to lie in shade and the trees just do not provide enough. Our beach boy used to fuss around us and change the position of the umbrella a couple of times each day. We also spent a few hours under the umbrellas when a shower or 2 went through.

Instead of spending B1000 a week on chairs and probably another B1000 on drinks, today we spent nothing.

How can this help grow Thailand's economy?

Don't give me crap about pristine beaches, this is Phuket I'm talking about.
    Be realistic.
    slampay, Dkdude and krukke like this.

Agree completely; it's a nonsense that serves nobody and pitches people out of work. To me it's made far worse because the jetskis are still there.Who has caused more trouble for tourists over the years, jetski scammers or beach chair vendors?

My dad has been crystal clear on this: He’s not coming back until he can lie comfortably on a beach chair, walk 10 meters for lunch, and then have a steady supply of Singhas coming his way with very little effort…

And it kind of bothers me as well. I like to go down to the beach once in a while as well, without having to drag all that stuff with me each time.

Definitely a turn for the worse. And yes, the jetskis are the ultimate irony in all of this mess... How come they are still around?!!

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    And yes, the jetskis are the ultimate irony in all of this mess... How come they are still around?!!
    I take it this is a rhetorical question???
    LivinLOS, Dkdude and SLeesy like this.

Had a chat with a former moderator on PI and his wife yesterday, they usually spend 2 months every year in Patong. I asked them what they think about the beach without beach chairs and umbrellas, their answer was we love it so much that we wont be back. He also told me that on German forum this is discussed allot and almost everyone is negative to this.

I have been 2 long weekends in Patong in the last month, have spent 2 hours on the beach....
    TLandHim likes this.

My dad has been crystal clear on this: He’s not coming back until he can lie comfortably on a beach chair, walk 10 meters for lunch, and then have a steady supply of Singhas coming his way with very little effort…

And it kind of bothers me as well. I like to go down to the beach once in a while as well, without having to drag all that stuff with me each time.

Definitely a turn for the worse. And yes, the jetskis are the ultimate irony in all of this mess... How come they are still around?!!
    As a Thai explained it seriously the jetskis and beach boys are allowed as they can rescue drowning people.

strange how it is pretty much only HKT though...nothing has happened here (Samui)...I notice Patts doesn't look any different...and I believe some sort of compromise was sorted out in Hua Hin

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    As a Thai explained it seriously the jetskis and beach boys are allowed as they can rescue drowning people.
    This was said with a straight face??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    And tuk- tuks can be emergency response vehicles.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    The lifeguards work with the Jet Ski people to clear people from their landing areas. Wouldn't surprise me if some Thais thought this was actually a thing then

Its about reforming the corruption people.. Have you not listened to the speeches..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Its about reforming the corruption people.. Have you not listened to the speeches..
    Yeah. And we in the west are doing sooo much better. As a matter of fact we're even worse...

Yeah. And we in the west are doing sooo much better. As a matter of fact we're even worse...
    Explain specifically. Please.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Asking SDK to be specific is like wanting the Encyclopaedia Britannica to elaborate... 55

He'll probably start with Nixon and go from there...
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    So, which specific field do you want me start with… specifically? No corruption in say big corporations, big oil, etc. etc?

Please pray tell how the low level corruption of a copper demanding a fee is somehow worse than a complete distortion of an entire economical order?

Oh! Oh!
    Stay on topic guys

I'd shake my brolly at you but nobody will hire me one!
    Dkdude likes this.

PTG
    I'm at the beach every day. I see plenty of people who bought umbrellas enjoying shade. If someone can't be arsed about buying an umbrella, who's fault is it that they don't take advantage of this?

Yesterday I also saw many people with their own loungers and beach chairs sitting under umbrellas, so if people aren't so lazy as to have to carry a 4 kg setup to the beach for their own shade, they would have nothing to whine about. Do people also whine about not having chairs and umbrellas available at Bondi Beach? Huntington Beach? No, they bring their own!

Why didn't we think of it! All those farangs buying an umbrella and a beachchair is good for the Thai economy

Quote Originally Posted by PTG View Post
    I'm at the beach every day. I see plenty of people who bought umbrellas enjoying shade. If someone can't be arsed about buying an umbrella, who's fault is it that they don't take advantage of this?

Yesterday I also saw many people with their own loungers and beach chairs sitting under umbrellas, so if people aren't so lazy as to have to carry a 4 kg setup to the beach for their own shade, they would have nothing to whine about. Do people also whine about not having chairs and umbrellas available at Bondi Beach? Huntington Beach? No, they bring their own!
    Your comparing a local beach to a tourist beach
    I am not going to buy an umbrella and lug it back and forth to the beach everyday
    Just thinking of all my holidays in the last 10 years and pretty much every tourist area had a beach chair option at the beaches.
    Just that Thais act like children and can't handle a simple thing like beach concessions
    Dkdude, TLandHim, krukke and 1 others like this.

So what's it like at Jomtien beach, where the umbrellas are so closely interlocked, not a single ray of sunshine could kiss the sunbathers?
    Waharoa likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast