Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stillearly

Thread: Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya is listed by Unesco as a world heritage site. It was the second capital of ancient Siam, after Sukhotai, from 1350 to 1767 when it was sacked by the Burmese.

The site lies some 75km North of Bangkok and is well served by roads so is relatively simple to get to. It is an effort to get there though, over an hour by car from Bangkok, but is worth the trip or a stop off on the way to / from somewhere else. We stopped on the way back from Nakhonsawan, which itself is a decent stop off on the way to Sukhotai or Chiang Mai.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 29th June 2013 at 17:53.

Last edited by Steve@thaib; 29th June 2013 at 18:12.

A couple from inside, always tricky with low light but these are not too bad for me:

An interesting ritual around the outside of the site is the releasing of fish and turtles into the river, the Chao Praya river that eventually ends up passing through Bangkok and into the Gulf of Thailand as it happens.
    I'm not normally too cynical about local customs but this one had me shaking my head. In the second picture there is clearly a big fish of some sort waiting for the prayer to be finished and dinner to be delivered. As soon as the bag of little fish is tipped into the river there is a brief swirl and the big guy hoovers them up.

It's apparently a good luck gesture, but it's not very lucky if you happen to be a little fish...
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 30th June 2013 at 04:34.

Thanks for sharing the photos

A good way of visiting is by coach from Bangkok , via the Summer Palace , then back to Bangkok by boat , great day out

Ayuthaya by Pearl of Siam Cruising (Departure from Bangkok)

I think there are a couple of companies that do this , I went years ago when the Oriental Hotel ran one with it's own boat
    Steve@thaib likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I went to Ayuttayah not too long ago for the first time and I think it's something cool and different to check out. Instead of just hitting the mongering scene, why not take a day or two and see something like this?

And regarding the releasing of fish and turtles, as I understand it the different animals mean different things. Specifically, if you release an eel, it means you will have good luck getting out of a bad situation. Not sure about the rest, but that one was at least explained to me.

Yes
    A few more
    Attached Images Attached Images

That tree root shot is cool. I didn't do a great job with the camera here, missed those completely.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I went to Ayuttayah not too long ago for the first time and I think it's something cool and different to check out. Instead of just hitting the mongering scene, why not take a day or two and see something like this?

And regarding the releasing of fish and turtles, as I understand it the different animals mean different things. Specifically, if you release an eel, it means you will have good luck getting out of a bad situation. Not sure about the rest, but that one was at least explained to me.
    I've been to Sukhotai as well, in the days before digital cameras unfortunately, and I agree; it's good to get out of the bar once in a while.

I had no ide different things brought different flavours of luck, I need to do more research there.