Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Business Ideas For Khon Kaen ???

Business Ideas For Khon Kaen ???

A good friend from Khon Kaen has asked me to come up with a business idea for her property in Khon Kaen. She has two adjacent shop houses that are located right next to the huge water theme park currently under construction there.

???????????????? ??????????? (Dino Water Park Khon Kaen)

She currently has a Mom and Pop shop but given this new development she thinks there is a lot more potential in developing a new business. The question is what.

The business would have to have relatively low start up costs and cater mainly to Thais entering/exiting the Dino water park.

Any business minded people got any ideas which direction to go in?

I'm useless at coming up with stuff like that, but I would guess potentially selling items that people may forget (inflatables, goggles, swimming attire, towels, etc etc). Probably also selling food/drinks given that most places inside those places are a rip-off. Maybe like a coffee-shop of sorts that can also act as a meeting place given its next door.

^^ I think that seems to be a sensible bet with low investment

If there was more space in a busy area and wasn't another one in close proximity, I like the idea of a BBQ buffet to cater for Thai's. If run right i.e the one in Cherngtalay I see it as potentially a very good business for Thai people

There are obvious businesses that could be identified but I think some key considerations are:

How far from the waterpark? i.e can potential competitors get ahead of you
    What vendor services will be available in the water park and at what prices
    Can competitors set up and replicate in the vicinity (see someones point about low investment requirement)
    Are there any restrictive covenants such as licences requirements
    Are there any likely gougings from local officials
    Is the land and building owned and have appropriate commercial title. important in the context of not having a landlord suck you dry (see Patong bar scene)

You will notice in Thailand many products and services are grouped together thus its really important to understand, your unique selling points, pricing and understanding your (potential) competition
    Last edited by Geespot; 15th December 2014 at 11:52.

Good points Gee and things I have considered already. She owns the property (mortgaged) and was first to open a Mom and Pop in a new development but soon others came and sucked the profits out of it. The property is located about 50 metres from what we think will be an entrance/exit so a great location with as I see it great potential for the right idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The problem with the obvious is that everyone will be doing the obvious.. Once one shop sells rubber rings and the like, so will everyone in a race to the bottom..

Is main selling point seems to be location.. How the actual foot traffic moves around the area will be key.. Sometimes its very possible to be close, and yet due to traffic flows or parking not capitalize as expected.

While its always a me too situation.. You rarely seem to go out of business selling food to Thais.. Finding a niche within that, rather than the simplistic ahan tam sang may be a way to capitalize on the foot traffic ??

I dont know how big her property is but if big enough I'd concentrate on catering to the tour companies
    I don't know if she has the wherewithal to do the research to make a network

But man......some of these places that are hooked in to the tours do extremely well

True but will they have tour companies servicing a water park..

Khon Khen not the chinese tour bus mecca that some parts of tourist Thailand are..

somtom stand

K2
    Soapy massage .... the dad's can have a special ride while the wife and kids play in the Water Park!
    Pablo and fiddler like this.
    Its My Life .....!

Sell food. Try getting the people as they leave, big adverts, big signs, good value. Maybe go to Splash Mountain and watch people arriving and entering? note their habits. Find out foot traffic, where vehicles will park and leave the site, local catchment of other customers.

Or she could simply act smart and sub lease the premises on to another selling them on the idea its a winner!!!
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    True but will they have tour companies servicing a water park..

Khon Khen not the chinese tour bus mecca that some parts of tourist Thailand are..
    They absolutely will.......just don't know if they would be in for the package deal
    My MIL goes off on day tours with her lady friends in the neighborhood all the time

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Soapy massage .... the dad's can have a special ride while the wife and kids play in the Water Park!
    I was chatting with a massage chick I know recently who was pissed with the shop owner over something.. Asked if she left if I would still be in touch etc..

I said one pairing I have never seen and would be sooooo perfect.. Massage place, next to or near the car wash.. guys with an hour to wait while the car gets cleaned, nothing to do.. Or.. A bit of mischief.. Plus its also the perfect alibi.. Where have you been, just getting the car cleaned.. Look its shiny.. Its like a 2-for.. win-win..

I could tell she wasnt getting it.. Shame.. Would have a shiny car then..

A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I was chatting with a massage chick I know recently who was pissed with the shop owner over something.. Asked if she left if I would still be in touch etc..

I said one pairing I have never seen and would be sooooo perfect.. Massage place, next to or near the car wash.. guys with an hour to wait while the car gets cleaned, nothing to do.. Or.. A bit of mischief.. Plus its also the perfect alibi.. Where have you been, just getting the car cleaned.. Look its shiny.. Its like a 2-for.. win-win..

I could tell she wasnt getting it.. Shame.. Would have a shiny car then..

I agree - I've said this for years about the Otop car wash in Patong.
    Tons of bars and clothes shops but no massage/short-time rooms.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

^You're wrong about that. There is a massage shop just around that first corner before that coffee shop. Trust me on this.5555

But maybe a bit too far away 100-150 meters.
    LivinLOS likes this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    ^You're wrong about that. There is a massage shop just around that first corner before that coffee shop. Trust me on this.5555

But maybe a bit too far away 100-150 meters.
    555.. And your not even cleaning the car

I just always thought that would be such an ideal partnership.. Never seen it put together, maybe because the massage chicks dont get the male car wash wait thought process... Hmm have an hour to kill, what would I rather being doing ???

Proximity - plus no need to go anywhere near a main street.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

This thread is showing up as a new post. But it only goes to #18. Maybe it will disappear after my post.
    Waharoa. likes this.

Thanks. The poster who posted here had his post moved to another thread... weird...
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast