Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By marc26
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Dealing with arrogant Thais

Dealing with arrogant Thais

I wouldn't categorize this as a Thai bash thread..........just an experience we had.

My wife has worked for a Thai restaurant for a little under 3 years. It was sold about 3-4 months ago but the new owners, these well off Thai lesbians, kept all the staff and there was no interruption of earnings(important fact)

They told the staff they'd be closing Dec 24th for a month for renovations.
    Well last week they told them on the 11th that they were closing on the 12th and letting go all the staff. They would not be bringing them back when they re-opened.
    Their right to do that.
    But Canada has pretty clear notice/severance laws.

I went up there once Ao told me to explain to them they couldn't just lay off their staff without given the proper notice or severance pay.
    They were so arrogant and so wrong in everything they said.....it was laughable
    But their attitude was every stereotype you hear about rich Thais.
    Like how dear we even try to go against them

I kept my composure and was actually very calm but condescending every single change I could. Asking them plenty of times if they understood the English I was speaking or the English written in the documents provided.
    Also pointing out many times that this is Canada and if they want to run a business here, they need to understand the laws.

My wife said when I left that 1st night the manager was so shaken from the confrontation. She approached my wife to argue about the situation and all my wife said to her is "My husband is smarter than all of you, if he is making these arguments, he knows he is right.........so speak to him"

I then went in and submitted a formal complaint of wages to them from Employment Standards Act.
    The manager had daggers in her eyes and later she overheard her laughing to the owner that they stupid for complain.

Fast forward this week............they absolutely caved without it even going to official mediation.
    My wife got 2k, while all total they had to pay the staff close to 10k in severance.

But just the arrogance, even when they were wrong, was astonishing to experience

But man did I take pleasure in sticking it to these assholes and even more pleasure getting these people the money they had coming to them!

Sorry for the brag 555
    Waharoa, Dkdude, junkhouse and 1 others like this.

Similar experiences here with the owner of the restaurant my wife works at except they are rich Lao people, not Thai. And they're not actually rich....they're what we call hood rich.

Just out of interest are they still keeping it as a restaurant?

You have to understand, that arrogance is well deserved in countries where might = right.. It allows them to bully the weaker and lower classes into things even if they are morally or legally wrong.. Tho actually Thailand has some fairly simple and fairly strong labor laws on severance, presumably because that kind of abuse is so rife..

I remember a well known to a few of us patong bar owner starting a new bar.. Wasnt in a girly bar zone at the time and he probably needed about 5 or so staff.. He hired 10 or more.. With a promise of X amount of pay plus tips drinks etc.. End of the first month he simply comes round and says "the bar didnt make much money this month, I am only paying you half" or thereabouts.. Plus he did it in such a way as anyone that walked didnt even get the half, he delayed the payment a few more days on already late and then they would have another 2 weeks owed kinda game.. So maybe half walked.. He ended up with the 5 or 6 staff he needed, plus he knew they were doormats and or desperate and he could totally control them, the fiesty ones got shafted and cost him zero.

Total dick move.. But he 100% secured his objectives..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    You have to understand, that arrogance is well deserved in countries where might = right.. It allows them to bully the weaker and lower classes into things even if they are morally or legally wrong.. Tho actually Thailand has some fairly simple and fairly strong labor laws on severance, presumably because that kind of abuse is so rife.. s..
    And that is exactly what they were doing here
    We are letting you go tomorrow and you can't do anything about it.

But the thing is......they know me. Know exactly what type of person I am......how they thought I'd just let them dick all these people around without doing anything was beyond me.

These same people would come to my wife and have her ask me questions about all sorts of things.
    To then think I was going to let them get away with it......it is just funny

As I said, Ao had the best line "my husband is smarter than all of you, and if he is doing this he knows he's right and you will lose" 555

Actually one of her proclamations didn't pan out.

The last day they were giving away all the plates, glasses and such and of course, these Thais they just dicked over and fired were taking whatever was offered.

They asked Ao and she told them "my husband is too high so and picky, he doesn't want used plates"

The next night I made her some food and served it to her on a paper plate 555

She said " I just told everything you too high so and you give me paper plate!"
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Just out of interest are they still keeping it as a restaurant?
    Yes
    This makes zero sense what they plan to do....

They said they want to serve a more authentic Thai menu and not cater to farang tests.
    But they decided they want farang servers!!

If the rent wasn't 10k/mo......I'd happily buy the lease off them next year for 25k after they did the whole place over and go out of business
    I told Ao 2 months ago it is like they are "playing restaurant" like "playing house"

Will be interesting if it works.. That Andy Rickter guy, the one bourdains done a show with and seems to have got lots of media coverage and a little Thai food empire, seems to have done very well by refusing to compromise and tame down the food style, blood soups, offal, and all kinds of things generally that need a foodie and hipster kind of clientele..

tho maybe hard to tell if it fails due to taste or miss management..

Will be interesting if it works.. That Andy Rickter guy, the one bourdains done a show with and seems to have got lots of media coverage and a little Thai food empire, seems to have done very well by refusing to compromise and tame down the food style, blood soups, offal, and all kinds of things generally that need a foodie and hipster kind of clientele..

They don't even have a chef to cook the menu...

But in NYC there is a booming Isaan restaurant market that doesn't really compromise on their menu and they are pretty damn popular.

I may take a drive to Portland the week after NYE and I plan on stopping at Pok Pok

5555555555 well played