Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Snakebite911

Thread: Proper Bangkok Thai Language

Proper Bangkok Thai Language

What is this exactly?
    Just the use of ka, kap a lot?

I mean we all have more proper ways to speak in any country but I hear Ao say it a lot.
    There was a Thai couple in back of us in line and she said they were speaking proper BKK Thai

No its more.. Thailands regional dialects are strong.. In the case of deep south, north issan (lao) and Lanna they use entirely different words and the tonality of speech (not the tones themselves.. The cadence etc) is different.. Central Thai is sort of the unifier of them all due to broadcast media etc etc.. All Thais can understand a central thai speaker but not all Thais will understand regional dialect speakers, getting to the point where a southerner can be pretty out of his depth in Issan (lanna and issan bleeds over).

Secondly you have the issues of class.. In england there was (still possibly is but far far less than it was 20 or 30 years ago) a sharp contrast between what my old man would call BBC english (eg correct, well spoken, articulated english without a heavy regional accent) and working class regionalities.. Then on top of that you have public school / upper class / 'plummy' accents.. To give an example you would hear that in the voice of someone these days like Stephen Fry, Richard Attenborough, etc.. This would very much be an indication of background, social status, a classical education (or someone putting on airs and graces and pretending to be above their station.. A lame sitcom "keeping up appearances" played this joke over and over). Thailand also has this, tho I personally still hear it as mostly central spoken, my ear isnt well enough tuned, I am told its very much there.

When she says BKK thai it could be either of these but the fact she points it out means I suspect she means hi-so class based as many people speak central thai and it wouldnt be much worth pointing out.. Unless of course it was just a quiet moment and something to say, Like "oh hes from the south" etc etc..

Dont forget theres also 'royal thai' which is a form of Thai language devoted to the courts, the palace, titles and aristocracy which has a whole slow of words either unusued in normal speech or modified.. I cant give examples as I only know this exists, I dont hang out with khunyings too much.. And lastly theres the pali sanskrit the monks chant, which lay people generally have no understanding of.

Theres a lot more language variation here than in the states, but I remember continental europe had a lof of this bleed.. Belgium with flams and waloon.. Dutch people (brabanters) who literally couldnt understand frieslanders.. The Dutch spoken in Nijmegen being so much more germanic than the Dutch spoken in say limberg or east to the zeeland.. Its such a small country geographically but I always figured its porous borders historically did that. Homogeneous countries like US or Oz or even the UK.. All Islands of course, tend to be more centralized.

When she say Bangkok Thai she is meaning high so.
    Although she did mention their use of ka/kap in their convo as sort of being proper
    I took that as ka/kop is not as commonly used in a conversation as much in the village?
    I do notice the use of ka/kap on the radio like crazy. To the point it distracts from the conversation, every other word is ka/kap

So I guess it is really not much different than anywhere else.
    I come from a poor area of Boston and my accent was really bad vs guys I met in NYC that were from the Boston suburbs and theirs were not as pronounced
    Last edited by marc26; 31st December 2014 at 09:46.

With Bangkok Thai they also role their 'r's, rather than lazily make the 'l' sound instead. Bangkok Thai also uses different words grammatically correct, for the same meaning such as Sefton explained as similar to the Queens English.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Our teacher at the language school basically said what Sefton said. She gave the example of Thais chatting to each vs talking to an Immigration or Police officer (class/status) and said that whilst the words didn't change, they would speak a lot more polite - properly structuring their sentences and using 'ka/khap' a lot more. She also mentioned as well about speaking to Royals and that it was almost an entirely different language the words changed so much (not just slight variances, completely different words). As an example I think she said there was like 10 different ways of saying 'eat' depending on who you were talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    As an example I think she said there was like 10 different ways of saying 'eat' depending on who you were talking to.
    That Thai's only have 10 different ways to say "eat" was a huge shock to me.....
    LivinLOS and WarProfiteer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    So I guess it is really not much different than anywhere else.
    I come from a poor area of Boston and my accent was really bad vs guys I met in NYC that were from the Boston suburbs and theirs were not as pronounced
    Accents are great aren't they? I have a 'proper' peasants accent ( Manchester/Salford ) and although I don't really notice it myself other people clearly do. I've struggled to make myself understood in both the US and Australia which were both a real surprise but made me realise just how pronounced my accent is.

I get into arguments with my travel buddies every year about 'uck' words like 'duck'. I know it's me but I can't bring myself to say 'dack'...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Accents are great aren't they? I have a 'proper' peasants accent ( Manchester/Salford ) and although I don't really notice it myself other people clearly do. I've struggled to make myself understood in both the US and Australia which were both a real surprise but made me realise just how pronounced my accent is.

I get into arguments with my travel buddies every year about 'uck' words like 'duck'. I know it's me but I can't bring myself to say 'dack'...
    when I 1st started working in Canada.......we have a squack box to yell out our trades to the desk in Toronto and I had to make sure I spoke slowly and pronounced everything, because they had no clue what I was saying 555